Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Waygu Beef - anyone bbq?
03-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Waygu Beef - anyone bbq?
I've come to recently discover the most savoury beef known to mankind -my opinion anyways- called Waygu.

Whenever its offered at restaurants I order it. I purchased a 10 oz steak at a gourmet meat shop and decided to try to barbie it. Leaving it as I would a normal beef loin to chicago...I return back to see my barrow BBQ in flames. (I guess waygu to be almost 50-60% fat content, so its almost like nitroglycerin lol)

Anyways, that was a super expensive cut gone to waste...anyone else barbie Waygu? I'm going to try again, but just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone else who may have waygu cooking tips.

Maybe pan fried is the way to go...?

Cheers and good health
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2011, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2011 07:21 PM by HardwareGrl.)
RE: Waygu Beef - anyone bbq?
I haven't had the pleasure of Waygu beef, eating, cooking or otherwise. But I did have some time to do some reasearch, and here's what I found-

• Higher marble scores of wagyu are best sliced thinner so that the heat penetrates the beef during cooking and brings the fat to a good eating temperature
• With thicker cuts of wagyu steak aim for about medium (if you go further than this you the meat will become dry)
• For thinner cuts of wagyu steak try for rare to medium rare
• Basically you are aiming for a balance – cooking the intramuscular monounsaturated fat to a point that the meat is not chewy but also not too hot so that all the fat runs out of the steak
• Don’t forget to rest the meat after cooking.

The article I lifted it from is here-
http://www.chefsarmoury.com/how-to-cook-...fo_53.html

I also found another article that might be helpful-
http://www.imperialwagyubeef.com/index.p...&Itemid=56

Good luck next time!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
03-30-2011, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2011 06:38 PM by vitruvian man.)
Thank-you. HardwareGrl.
[Image: 040816_WagyuRibSteak_hmed_11a.hmedium.jpg]
Waygu often times has a marble score of 10 or higher I've even seen 12. Those sites are excellent. The former being very informative.

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Perhaps try a heavy blackening seasoning as well? That will slow down the outer searing at any rate, and you can always scrape a portion of the blackening off after you're happy with the interior temp.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
That's an interesting suggestion. I'm mindful of not over seasoning waygu. For this kind of meat, its best to try to have its flavor unadulterated. But it sure is better than the alternative of it shriveling up into a lump of coal. Smile

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user