Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chinese Orange Chicken
04-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Chinese Orange Chicken
Montclair Chinese Take-Out in Montclair VA serves up my all time favorite Chinese Orange Chicken. Here's a recipie that's pretty darn close and very easy to make:

Marinate cubed chicken thighs in soy sauce, ground ginger and ground garlic to taste for a few hours in the fridge.

In medium saucepan, bring the following to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer:

One and a half cups water
One quarter cup orange juice
One quarter cup lemon juice
One third cup rice wine
Three tablespoons soy sauce
One cup packed brown sugar
One half teaspoon minced garlic
Red pepper flakes to taste
For an extra kick, add one or two whole red Thai peppers (the skinny, bright red ones).

While sauce is thickening, deep fry cubed chicken thighs in hot canola oil, covered in a beer batter made from Guinness Beer and all purpose flour (Slowly mix Guinness and flower until it's about as thick as glue)

After chicken is fried, put in large sauce pan and cover with orange sauce. Cook down until chicken is nicely glazed and there's still enough sauce left to spoon over white rice. Top with sesame seeds and fresh green onion or scallions. Serve over steamed white rice. Top off with a ice cold Tsing Tao beer.
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2010, 01:25 PM
RE: Chinese Orange Chicken
Great recipe, I do something similar, I add orange zest and orange exract.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
Find all posts by this user
04-28-2010, 12:59 AM
(04-27-2010 01:25 PM)dw2112 Wrote:  Great recipe, I do something similar, I add orange zest and orange exract.

i agree..the orange zest adds to the flavor. a man that lives a few beachhouses down from me own a chinese restaurant and when I first went to eat at his place the flavor just popped in my mouth thanx to the orange zest. it wasnt pleasing to eat in my opinion but it did add so much more flavor to the meal
04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
(04-28-2010 12:59 AM)GillGrylls Wrote:  
(04-27-2010 01:25 PM)dw2112 Wrote:  Great recipe, I do something similar, I add orange zest and orange exract.

i agree..the orange zest adds to the flavor. a man that lives a few beachhouses down from me own a chinese restaurant and when I first went to eat at his place the flavor just popped in my mouth thanx to the orange zest. it wasnt pleasing to eat in my opinion but it did add so much more flavor to the meal

I agree, its a little bitter, this will be the first thing I make when I return to the fire house, thanks.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.