Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Seems to me it's Chemistry!
03-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Information Seems to me it's Chemistry!
A trick for enjoying Itailian, Mexican or anything with a high acid content. Irony for me is defined as loving food and having Crohns disease. That being said, I have had to employ chemistry in my cooking in order to enjoy the abovementioned foods. When making any tomato based dish I use a pinch of baking soda in the sauce, it's amazing how the color turns from red to orange! Remember baking soda consumes 100X its weight in acid, if you use too much you will ruin the sauce. I use it in my Franks hot sauce so I don't get heartburn. Better living through chemistry!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2011, 12:00 AM
RE: Seems to me it's Chemistry!
(03-31-2011 07:24 PM)Layllah Wrote:  A trick for enjoying Itailian, Mexican or anything with a high acid content. Irony for me is defined as loving food and having Crohns disease. That being said, I have had to employ chemistry in my cooking in order to enjoy the abovementioned foods. When making any tomato based dish I use a pinch of baking soda in the sauce, it's amazing how the color turns from red to orange! Remember baking soda consumes 100X its weight in acid, if you use too much you will ruin the sauce. I use it in my Franks hot sauce so I don't get heartburn. Better living through chemistry!

Fans of older films/TV may also know this item as "bicarbonate of soda". Smile Indeed it does allow us to partake of the acid pleasures of such foods, with little recourse. And, it helps get stubborn stains off of teeth.
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2011, 02:14 PM
RE: Seems to me it's Chemistry!
A great tip. Gonna try that!

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user