Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What Do You Do To Feel Good?
04-07-2011, 04:19 PM
What Do You Do To Feel Good?
Hi all,

I'm Dais, and I'm new around here. I just thought I'd throw out a line and see what I get.

I've had a really rough couple of months emotionally, and I'm trying to think of ways of making myself feel better.

My father turned 90 last month, and asked all of us "kids" to go through a bunch of stuff in his house so we wouldn't need to do it, you know, later. Our cat disappeared for a week, and I woke up worrying about him every night. I was rear-ended just over a week ago while stopped to turn into my street, which pushed us into oncoming traffic, and we were hit again. I had my two little ones in the car. We are all physically fine, but it had me physically quaking for a week, and I'm still emotionally rattled. And I've just been down this winter in general. So.

What do you do to lift your spirits? Keep in mind I'm a stay-at-home mom, so travels to far away places are not really in my near future. Though movies and books (thanks, Neil!) take me away often.

TIA,
~Dais
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2011, 04:41 PM
RE: What Do You Do To Feel Good?
I have been on the "slippery slope" more times than I care to mention, and I know keeping positive (although essential) is not exactly the easiest option.

For me, I occassionaly look around me and think, am I still healthy, are my loved ones the same?, are we fed, warm, free from bullies etc, if we fall off the economic ladder we are on, will we survive? Yes we will!

The Germans have an interesting saying, "that which is bitter to endure, sometimes is sweet to remember".

Not sure that helps much, but as the SAS say "push on", what else is there to do??

Living the dream over here in Blighty
04-07-2011, 04:47 PM
(04-07-2011 04:41 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I have been on the "slippery slope" more times than I care to mention, and I know keeping positive (although essential) is not exactly the easiest option.

For me, I occassionaly look around me and think, am I still healthy, are my loved ones the same?, are we fed, warm, free from bullies etc, if we fall off the economic ladder we are on, will we survive? Yes we will!

The Germans have an interesting saying, "that which is bitter to endure, sometimes is sweet to remember".

Not sure that helps much, but as the SAS say "push on", what else is there to do??

Life keeps me too busy to do much else but push on, which I'm sure is a good thing. Life IS good, it's just tough to find a place to put some of the crap my head needs to deal with, ya know? I'm really good at shoving it all into my mental closets, but those doors pop open uninvited from time to time. Blah.

But yeah, healthy, loved, warm, etc. All that good stuff.

=)
~Dais
04-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Mate - offloading is good too...drop me a PM or post, I will listen, and get back to you......as best I can....

04-07-2011, 05:02 PM
(04-07-2011 04:54 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Mate - offloading is good too...drop me a PM or post, I will listen, and get back to you......as best I can....

You're sweet!

I tried writing letters to a friend who was kind enough to read them and encourage more... I was following Neil's lead, who wrote letters often when he was facing some really tough stuff. People aren't really letter writers these days, it seems. The first person I asked acted like I'd asked her to join me and hubby in bed...

Perhaps just popping in to these discussions will help. Something new and interesting to pay attention to.

Thanks, NWoBHM

~Dais
04-07-2011, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 05:16 PM by NWoBHM.)
I can`t think of a better place than the bar `n` grill to share some of lifes grief - we have the bar - I am often in there but a bit drunk - my mates NBC, Boomer, RN, MU, Bagel, Nettie, OHR are often in there too, NBC most often is trying to climb into Nettie`s window, but he doesn`t mean any harm....Being a bit lighthearted, but I cannot imagine a better bunch of people to listen and help......

If alcohol is not your thing......then there is all sorts of other stuff too....Films, Gardens, cycling etc

04-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi Dais, pleasure to see new faces in the zoo.

Years ago, I was told by a councilor that writing was the best thing that I could do for my sanity.
My childhood... <snicker> was not exactly the Ozzie & Harriet version that my wife had. It was a bit strange, and a hell of a lot difficult.
She was correct; writing helps me. Mind you, it is not a cure-all, but used in conjunction with music, riding, paintball (AH-OOOO!)
my mountain bike (which doubles as a city bike here in Oz / Wichita), my puppy, "Dublin", and of course my bride, Dawn.
Granted - there I times when I have to suppress the urge to strangle her in her sleep, but she is the center of my world.
With Spring inbound, there is sooooo much more to keep you occupado now. Gardening, biking, books, movies, kids in the backyard... whatever works for you Dais.
In the meantime, as that Brit above me there stated, "The Bar" has a very large sounding board, consisting of a wide variety of misfits and vagabonds, lawyers and naives... all perfectly willing to listen and offer views and advice. NBC will even deliver a pizza... through yer window...

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
04-07-2011, 07:37 PM
(04-07-2011 07:21 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  Hi Dais, pleasure to see new faces in the zoo.

Years ago, I was told by a councilor that writing was the best thing that I could do for my sanity.
My childhood... <snicker> was not exactly the Ozzie & Harriet version that my wife had. It was a bit strange, and a hell of a lot difficult.
She was correct; writing helps me. Mind you, it is not a cure-all, but used in conjunction with music, riding, paintball (AH-OOOO!)
my mountain bike (which doubles as a city bike here in Oz / Wichita), my puppy, "Dublin", and of course my bride, Dawn.
Granted - there I times when I have to suppress the urge to strangle her in her sleep, but she is the center of my world.
With Spring inbound, there is sooooo much more to keep you occupado now. Gardening, biking, books, movies, kids in the backyard... whatever works for you Dais.
In the meantime, as that Brit above me there stated, "The Bar" has a very large sounding board, consisting of a wide variety of misfits and vagabonds, lawyers and naives... all perfectly willing to listen and offer views and advice. NBC will even deliver a pizza... through yer window...

Sounds good. I'm in.

And writing. I think it could be very good for me. Just hard to discipline myself to sit and do it as often as maybe I should.

And Spring? I'm having a hard time believing it's coming this year. But today was gorgeous, and the kids and I spent a lot of time outside. Nature heals.

I look forward to chatting more. Thanks for your message.

~Dais
04-07-2011, 07:43 PM
hey, you don't have to drink in "The Bar".
just unload there, or in "your stuff" or whatever.

What do I do for myself? Go out to my car, pop in my favorite CD of the moment, and crank it. You could do the same with an mp3 player.
Nobody's music but mine, and loud! does it for me every time.
I also find fluff to read...right now it's Amish romance novels. I know how there going to turn out, they are formula novels, but it's just fun to read and not be reading for work...which ,as a teacher, I do all of the time.
I also buy myself flowers once in a while. It cheers me up and doesn't add pounds.

Find all posts by this user
04-07-2011, 07:51 PM
(04-07-2011 07:43 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  hey, you don't have to drink in "The Bar".
just unload there, or in "your stuff" or whatever.

What do I do for myself? Go out to my car, pop in my favorite CD of the moment, and crank it. You could do the same with an mp3 player.
Nobody's music but mine, and loud! does it for me every time.
I also find fluff to read...right now it's Amish romance novels. I know how there going to turn out, they are formula novels, but it's just fun to read and not be reading for work...which ,as a teacher, I do all of the time.
I also buy myself flowers once in a while. It cheers me up and doesn't add pounds.

I've been dumping myself in the tub most nights lately with some lavender oil and my computer with a Netflix movie. Also a beer or a glass of wine. That's been kinda nice. I've been reading The Shipping News. When I can get myself off the computer, that is...

Music outside of the car is gonna have to do for me for now. Still freaked about the accident, and I haven't turned music on, even for the kids, in a week and a half. Not that music had anything to do with anything. Or that the accident was in any way anything I did wrong. Just rattled. Still.

Flowers. Nice. Might have to do that. I'm thinking of putting a small memorial garden in this year. For my Mom, who passed ten years ago this May. That will be therapeutic, I think.

~D