Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What Do You Do To Feel Good?
04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
RE: What Do You Do To Feel Good?
So - Dais... is there a window in yer bathroom...? Just sayin'.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm getting back kinda late tonight, but I like the vibe here.

With all the "stuff" I have been thru, from being taken away from my parents at age 7, foster homes, the navy, marriage...there really isn't much that makes me feel any good about myself. Too much guilt maybe, or just not sure sometimes, but the three things in my life that help are my wife/daughters, my Harley, and music. It isnt food, or drink, or travel, but rather just the things that keep me grounded. My wife's smile, my kids laughing at something stupid I did, sometimes just the sound of the Harley as I am cruising the 'Ave' at night. I keep my Ipod close, to keep my music as central in my life, but those three things are about the only things any more that make me feel good.

The mufster prankin as a peeping tom? Now thats funny!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Actually - I was more concerned with NBC...

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
I think he's done with that for now, but can't be sure.. lol

04-07-2011, 10:16 PM
(04-07-2011 05:02 PM)Dais Wrote:  People aren't really letter writers these days, it seems. The first person I asked acted like I'd asked her to join me and hubby in bed...

I really like to get letters. But you’re right, people are not really letter writers these days. People seem to hate actually writing letters, so instead they forward around emails written by someone else. You know the ones: the jokes, the urban legends, the political myths, the dire warnings, etc. Oh, how I hate receiving the forwarded mails. And speaking of email, while being such an incredibly convenient medium, is already being deemed as outmoded and old fashioned. Texting is all the rage now. Messages are shorter, largely because attention spans are shorter. It is ironic to me that the people who would not write letters, are now constantly sending short texts of writing, the sum of which, if added up, would certainly exceed many times over one well written letter, that they thought they didn’t want to write in the first place.

Also, to address the initial question in this thread:

Lori and I like to sometimes go to a Bed 'n' Breakfast. You don't always have to go far away, they are all over. We like to pick the ones that are located on a farm. Since we live in a busy suburban area, this is a nice change and a chance to get away. Farm B 'n' B's almost always have animals you can visit with, chickens, goats, ducks, barn kitties, we even went to one with a lama (who liked to smell Lori's hair). Sometimes we will go on a big hike around the area, and the resident farm dog will join us and tag along. Its relaxing, pleasant, and makes some nice memories. Its fun having someone fuss over you and make you a big farm breakfast while the roosters are crowing, the sun's peaking up, and the smell of coffee is in the air.

-Rey

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
04-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Hmmmmmmm..........what do I do to feel good.........?
Well, wine helps, though lately it seems like I'm having it more often. The last 16 years have probably had the most ups and downs. Like Nettie, sometimes I'll buy flowers. Spring is one of those "feel good" seasons (when it isn't raining hard) that prompt me to open windows, buy flowers, etc. Sometimes just making the time to read. I'm a stay-at-home mother as well, and since I homeschool my kids (teenagers), I have them and their issues with each other, all day long. So making time to read has been a good thing. I used to read so much before I was married and I had let that habit go afterward.

Driving around in the car, with the radio on is nice too.

Going out to coffee with friends or my husband, and sitting at an outside table.

Ok, on another note, I'm hearing rumors about peeping Toms coming into windows...........perhaps I should close them...........

A party without cake is really just a meeting
04-08-2011, 06:42 AM
(04-07-2011 08:13 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  So - Dais... is there a window in yer bathroom...? Just sayin'.

Bo Derek I am not. But thanks anyhow. Blush

(04-07-2011 08:25 PM)boomer Wrote:  I'm getting back kinda late tonight, but I like the vibe here.

With all the "stuff" I have been thru, from being taken away from my parents at age 7, foster homes, the navy, marriage...there really isn't much that makes me feel any good about myself. Too much guilt maybe, or just not sure sometimes, but the three things in my life that help are my wife/daughters, my Harley, and music. It isnt food, or drink, or travel, but rather just the things that keep me grounded. My wife's smile, my kids laughing at something stupid I did, sometimes just the sound of the Harley as I am cruising the 'Ave' at night. I keep my Ipod close, to keep my music as central in my life, but those three things are about the only things any more that make me feel good.

That's good stuff. Perhaps I need to focus more on that stuff, too. Good reminder.

The mufster prankin as a peeping tom? Now thats funny!

(04-07-2011 10:16 PM)Rey Wrote:  
(04-07-2011 05:02 PM)Dais Wrote:  People aren't really letter writers these days, it seems. The first person I asked acted like I'd asked her to join me and hubby in bed...

I really like to get letters. But you’re right, people are not really letter writers these days. People seem to hate actually writing letters, so instead they forward around emails written by someone else. You know the ones: the jokes, the urban legends, the political myths, the dire warnings, etc. Oh, how I hate receiving the forwarded mails. And speaking of email, while being such an incredibly convenient medium, is already being deemed as outmoded and old fashioned. Texting is all the rage now. Messages are shorter, largely because attention spans are shorter. It is ironic to me that the people who would not write letters, are now constantly sending short texts of writing, the sum of which, if added up, would certainly exceed many times over one well written letter, that they thought they didn’t want to write in the first place.

Also, to address the initial question in this thread:

Lori and I like to sometimes go to a Bed 'n' Breakfast. You don't always have to go far away, they are all over. We like to pick the ones that are located on a farm. Since we live in a busy suburban area, this is a nice change and a chance to get away. Farm B 'n' B's almost always have animals you can visit with, chickens, goats, ducks, barn kitties, we even went to one with a lama (who liked to smell Lori's hair). Sometimes we will go on a big hike around the area, and the resident farm dog will join us and tag along. Its relaxing, pleasant, and makes some nice memories. Its fun having someone fuss over you and make you a big farm breakfast while the roosters are crowing, the sun's peaking up, and the smell of coffee is in the air.

-Rey

Wow, you really make that sound wonderful. I would love that, too. Yeah, forwarded emails are ... well, something. I have always liked letters. Receiving and writing. I actually tried to find a penpal over seas once, but it didn't work out. I guess I like the idea of being able to put my deepest (and shallowest) thoughts down and sending them away.

(04-07-2011 10:58 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Hmmmmmmm..........what do I do to feel good.........?
Well, wine helps, though lately it seems like I'm having it more often. The last 16 years have probably had the most ups and downs. Like Nettie, sometimes I'll buy flowers. Spring is one of those "feel good" seasons (when it isn't raining hard) that prompt me to open windows, buy flowers, etc. Sometimes just making the time to read. I'm a stay-at-home mother as well, and since I homeschool my kids (teenagers), I have them and their issues with each other, all day long. So making time to read has been a good thing. I used to read so much before I was married and I had let that habit go afterward.

Driving around in the car, with the radio on is nice too.

Going out to coffee with friends or my husband, and sitting at an outside table.

I really considered homeschooling, because my daughter has real anxiety issues, and school can be very hard for her. But as it is I have practically zero time to myself. The idea of adding to my responsibilities and taking away from any time I do get to myself really made me nervous about doing that. I salute you!

Reading is a great escape. I don't often read during the day, as it makes me sleepy. I am sort of the type who is 100% awake or 100% asleep, ya know? I like to be up and doing when I'm awake. It's hard for me to relax. I have been escaping a lot lately by watching movies online. I do enjoy going out to dinner with friends, and do so about once a month. Hubby and I used to love to hike, and we miss it a lot. Our kids can be hard to motivate, and with my daughter's anxiety issues, babysitters are hard to find. We'll get back to it.
04-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Hi Dais,

Fellow newbie here. How are you enjoying The Shipping News so far? I read it a few years back just before the movie was released (edit: just realised that was 10 years ago...Wow, where does the time go?) Hmm, I think I need to go back and read it again, re-watch the movie too.

The last 5 years have had it's ups and downs for me, getting married, moved to the US, all the stresses that come with that whole thing is a thread in itself, then the marriage broke down and ended up in a physically abusive situation that ended with him getting arrested. Marriage was obviously over and I needed to be back home with my family but of course as the visa thing was taking forever, I left without it and as far as I know I can't go back to the US for 10 years. Been unemployed for a year and a half but finally get to start a job in june.

So, music is definitely a central focus in my life, I find it very therapeutic and healing...a certain Canadian trio's music has been invaluable to me, has been for a long time...seeing the tour in May can't come soon enough! Getting lost in a good book, spending time in good company and just having a laugh. Animals rock too, I love nature and wildlife, that always makes me smile. Sometimes the most seemingly simple things can do wonders...like today for instance, it's amazing how the sight of some blue sky and sunshine can lift your spirits so much. Perfect for cranking some Steely Dan on the stereo, so that's what I'm gonna do!

Nice to meet you Dais (and all you other good peeps I may not have said hello to).
Love, Peace & Chicken Grease.

There's a lot of it about.
04-08-2011, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2011 08:35 AM by Dais.)
(04-08-2011 07:46 AM)Scottish_lass Wrote:  Hi Dais,

Fellow newbie here. How are you enjoying The Shipping News so far? I read it a few years back just before the movie was released (edit: just realised that was 10 years ago...Wow, where does the time go?) Hmm, I think I need to go back and read it again, re-watch the movie too.

The last 5 years have had it's ups and downs for me, getting married, moved to the US, all the stresses that come with that whole thing is a thread in itself, then the marriage broke down and ended up in a physically abusive situation that ended with him getting arrested. Marriage was obviously over and I needed to be back home with my family but of course as the visa thing was taking forever, I left without it and as far as I know I can't go back to the US for 10 years. Been unemployed for a year and a half but finally get to start a job in june.

So, music is definitely a central focus in my life, I find it very therapeutic and healing...a certain Canadian trio's music has been invaluable to me, has been for a long time...seeing the tour in May can't come soon enough! Getting lost in a good book, spending time in good company and just having a laugh. Animals rock too, I love nature and wildlife, that always makes me smile. Sometimes the most seemingly simple things can do wonders...like today for instance, it's amazing how the sight of some blue sky and sunshine can lift your spirits so much. Perfect for cranking some Steely Dan on the stereo, so that's what I'm gonna do!

Nice to meet you Dais (and all you other good peeps I may not have said hello to).

It's very nice to meet you, too. Your US tour sounds like quite an adventure. I don't blame you a bit for wanting to get home. Bizarre about the visa. Ridiculous that you are punished for going home.

I also like being in good company, but have found it very difficult to find friends where I live, for some reason. I'm a little shy, I guess, and I suck at small talk. But I"m friendly and very grateful for the friendship that does come my way.

I really enjoy listening to the birds as they return to our area. For some reason, birds have always brought me peace. And the ocean. I also enjoy a good book, and I enjoy blogging. I spend a lot of time online, first and last. I feel it is my escape and my connection with other people. And I like to sew. And so forth. But friends would be nice.

Chicken grease. Hm.

~Dais
(04-08-2011 07:46 AM)Scottish_lass Wrote:  Hi Dais,

Oh, and the Shipping News. It's a very interesting story, and I am enjoying it (for the second time.) I like stories that go intensely into the lives of people. Any others you could recommend? I haven't seen the movie, but maybe I'll put that on my Netflix cue now.

~Dais
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2011 11:30 AM by vitruvian man.)
(04-07-2011 04:19 PM)Dais Wrote:  Hi all,

I'm Dais, and I'm new around here. I just thought I'd throw out a line and see what I get.

I've had a really rough couple of months emotionally, and I'm trying to think of ways of making myself feel better.

My father turned 90 last month, and asked all of us "kids" to go through a bunch of stuff in his house so we wouldn't need to do it, you know, later. Our cat disappeared for a week, and I woke up worrying about him every night. I was rear-ended just over a week ago while stopped to turn into my street, which pushed us into oncoming traffic, and we were hit again. I had my two little ones in the car. We are all physically fine, but it had me physically quaking for a week, and I'm still emotionally rattled. And I've just been down this winter in general. So.

What do you do to lift your spirits? Keep in mind I'm a stay-at-home mom, so travels to far away places are not really in my near future. Though movies and books (thanks, Neil!) take me away often.

TIA,
~Dais

I gather my kids and watch this each and every time I hit an emotional wall. IT ALWAYS brings me back to loving life again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating"