Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pizza Oven
04-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Pizza Oven
We moved to a place that doesn't know what good pizza is, so we experimented. We bought a pizza stone and put it in the BBQ. We have a Napoleon that gets HOT! Let the stone sit there for about 15 minutes and throw the pizza on. It cooks in about 5 minutes for a medium crust. Thin crust, even less. Thick crust burns.
Before we remodeled the kitchen, we had an old, self-cleaning oven. You can cut off the oven locks, put it on "clean" and cook a great pizza that way, as well. Just be careful of the *HEAT* coming out of the oven!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2012, 09:35 PM
RE: Pizza Oven
Gungawoman, I pretty much do the same as you, I have this huge Napoleon Grill and I did get some thick 3/4" lava stones. I do all the crust like you but for the thick crust I will build on a pizza pan and put the pizza pan onto the stone in the BarB. I will let it go for a while then I will slide it off directly onto the stone, it works nicely. To add an extra touch to the pizzas, you can buy this cast iron accesory from Napoleon for using charcoal. If you are not familiar with this, you put it inside in place of one of the ''v'' shape metal deflector just above the burners and you put big pieces of wood in place of the charcoal, light them with the gas burner and let them catch on fire nicely then cook your pizza and WOW!!! Just like a great place that cooks into a wood burning oven. This cast iron device, you can get from any Napoleon dealer, seems to be a popular item, I use some of the lump charcoal into it also. As for in house oven, I put one of these lava stones, cut to size for the oven, and because of the tickness, it keeps the heat. Pre-heated to 500 deg F. and the the grill is set in the middle of the oven and I cook the pizza on broil and watch it so it does not burn and remove when the bottom is to my liking.
05-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Oh, I'll have to get Ren Man to tell you all his pizza tips and recipes.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
05-27-2012, 07:32 PM
LTC--We had never heard of the cast iron thingy from Napoleon. Verrrry interesting.....
We are still on a juicing/veg/salad diet, but we are starting to treat ourselves with "bad" food occasionally. This may be our next cheat!!! Thanks!

05-28-2012, 10:49 AM
(05-27-2012 02:05 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Oh, I'll have to get Ren Man to tell you all his pizza tips and recipes.

PLEAAAAAse do, always looking for tips and recipes...
05-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Gungawoman, one thing I forgot to mention when I talked about the wood thing / jig, you need to let one or two of the gaz burners running or you will not have enough of the high temperature for cooking pizza. The wood I use is enough to give a good taste but not enough to cook this unless you use an awful lot of wood. And I presume that you would need 2 or 3 of the Napoleon Cast Iron jigs...Smile Ahhhh... Can't believe it, there goes, I am hungry again and it's almost midnight! I will have to get onto this ''juicin'/veg/salad'' one of these days. Better yet...bed time.
06-02-2012, 07:49 PM
So, LTC, you have a great grill! What do you cook on when you're inside your house???? Hmmmm???

06-02-2012, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 10:49 PM by LiveToCook.)
Gungawoman.... the questions you have, this is opening a BIG crack in the wall. Now you have me going, where should I start? Unfortunately, I do not have the tool I want in the house. What I want is a Wolf 60" complete oven. And a stack of 2 or 3 ovens. One of the reasons I do not have this ''tool'', is that there is no natural gaz in the neighbourhood. Yeah, I know, that is the easy one to blame on my part, propane is easily available... And second, but not least, my kitchen having been re-done not so long ago with full granite counter tops and expensive wood cabinets. I must admit that I still have not had the ''guts'', or ultimate fever, to break it all up and start over again in the way I would like my kitchen to be today. So back when the kitchen was done, I got a Whirlpool Gold with ceramic top. That, I have learned to dislike, for I am not sure why... and 2 single burners that are countertop induction style. The tooling I have to play along with the heat sources is numerous, Swiss Diamond, Woll, Kitchen Aid, some cast iron pieces, Heritage and Rena Ware. I probably have enough to start a restaurant Big Grin. And I must admit that I am slowly replacing my frying pan fleet (yes... fleet) with Demeyere's granite coated non stick surface (company from Belgium) that cost an arm and a leg... (well, maybe 2 of each). And I must admit that I am a maniac when it comes to kitchen tools. There is not much that I do not have or have had. My excuse is, and I do not really know if it is valid or notHuh, you tell me Doctor, some guys have all the tools in the garage, others have more golf clubs than some pro shops and so on. I have them in the kitchen, the kitchen is my boy room....Big Grin
06-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Gungawoman, As I can see, anyone with a Napoleon grill is ''serious'' about the food preparation aspect and probably just not out on the patio. So the question IS being returned... What do you use in the house????? Hmmmmm???? (With a French accent) Big Grin
06-03-2012, 09:39 PM
We have a Blue Star 48" range with 6 burners and a grill. Double ovens. When we moved here, the kitchen had double ovens with a ceramic 4 burner electric cooktop. It was TERRIBLE! You couldn't stir anything with 1 hand, plus it was too hard to control the heat. Stir fry? Forget it!

We remodeled and put in the propane range-no natural gas out here in the country, but propane burns hotter than natural gas, so it's all good now.
At our old place in CA, we remodeled and put in a 48" Viking range--again with 6 burners and a grill--double ovens and natural gas. The Blue Star is better by far at not much more money.

Demeyeres is good stuff, but you need to take out a second mortgage! We have a ton of stuff as well. The job is made so much easier with the proper tool Big Grin