Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Do you create?
04-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Do you create?
Seems to me that a lot of people feel good when they create something. Neil mentioned feeling this way in a book of his. I relate well to this. I have always enjoyed creating in a crafty way. Crocheting, making clay beads, and more recently, sewing. Clothes for my kids, occasional items for myself, baby stuff for my nephew-to-be, pillowcases for charity. Etc. I'm driven to make stuff. It somehow validates me. I also like to create blog entries. I like to put my ideas and my creations out for the world to see. I like sharing and communicating in that way.

Do you create something? What motivates you?

~Dais
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2011, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 11:14 AM by Mufasa.)
RE: Do you create?
I'm a player / ref / coach at a paintball facility here in Oz (Wichita).
Often, there will be a group of small fry (10 year olds or below) that want to learn the sport. Parents are very wary of their kids being injured on the field, there are lots of things that can go wrong.

To have a kid come to me after coaching them and say that "this is the coolest thing ever... I wanna be as good as you are!!!"
Or to have a parent tell me that they appreciate the time and effort that I took to teach their child everything that I did.
I really like feeling like I did something positive whilst doing something that I truly love.
Now if/when they move up to our level... that's a different story! Wink

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
04-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I like creating massive spreadsheets, with loads of formulas, different pages, tabs, cells feeding into formulas, figuers in negative going into parentheses or red, and stuff like that - I enjoy a really good left brain work out as much as right brain....

I mainly create them for financial budgets, family and business, and it makes me relaxed that I can exercise control and order on numbers.........Bit sad really....

Living the dream over here in Blighty
04-10-2011, 11:25 AM
NWo... yer a strange bird. Wink

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
04-10-2011, 11:26 AM
(04-10-2011 11:24 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I like creating massive spreadsheets, with loads of formulas, different pages, tabs, cells feeding into formulas, figuers in negative going into parentheses or red, and stuff like that - I enjoy a really good left brain work out as much as right brain....

I mainly create them for financial budgets, family and business, and it makes me relaxed that I can exercise control and order on numbers.........Bit sad really....

Not sad at all! Fantastic! Not something I would have the attention span for, but I can totally understand how it would be exciting to see it all flow.. cool.
04-10-2011, 11:38 AM
My Dad, who was a Chartered Accountant, said he went into accountancy because he loved numbers, as a kid I could`nt relate in the slightest to this notion - but he is in my genes, and I have grown up to appreciate numbers too.

This is really sad, when accounts don`t balance I love the challenge of going through the ledgers, and journals and finding where the error is, and when you find it the feeling of satisfaction is great.

Yeah MU I am a strange bird - I love the arts and that sort of "soft" creativity, and I also like technical and "hard" creativity too, like maths, accountancy, design, business - and I like to switch between the two from time to time.

04-11-2011, 09:51 AM
I have (forever) had the desire to publish a book. The task is daunting to me, as I find it very hard to sit still. But it would appeal to me a lot, if I could get it done. Has anyone here done that?

Lots of people on here create stuff in the kitchen. As one who does not often do that, I find that pretty impressive.

I am especially good at making a mess. Am I proud of that fact? No. But it's something I create, so I'm counting it. (shrug)

~Dais
04-11-2011, 09:56 AM
I make jewelry. I write. I play guitar. I make messes, too Dais! Smile

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi Dais, I worked with a guy who wrote a factual book about his local cricket team, called something like 150 and not out - it was all self researched, written and edited, and printed professionally - OK so it was only on sale to those who knew him and the cricket team - but I call that published.

This was some years ago too, so I am guessing you can get your story onto Amazon, etc for sale - just like any band can make music, get the MP3`s on CD Baby or whatever and hey presto you are selling to Amazon, iTunes, Napster, etc etc

I say go for it......

04-11-2011, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2011 10:09 AM by Dais.)
(04-11-2011 10:00 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Hi Dais, I worked with a guy who wrote a factual book about his local cricket team, called something like 150 and not out - it was all self researched, written and edited, and printed professionally - OK so it was only on sale to those who knew him and the cricket team - but I call that published.

This was some years ago too, so I am guessing you can get your story onto Amazon, etc for sale - just like any band can make music, get the MP3`s on CD Baby or whatever and hey presto you are selling to Amazon, iTunes, Napster, etc etc

I say go for it......

Worth a shot, right? I know you can pay to get a book published, but that seems chancey. I dunno. I sometimes make up stories for my kids, and maybe I'll try putting those together for publication first. Might be better than spending years putting a novel or whatever together and being disappointed if it doesn't sell. Thanks for the push!

~Dais
(04-11-2011 09:56 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  I make jewelry. I write. I play guitar. I make messes, too Dais! Smile

Cool