Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Do you create?
04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
RE: Do you create?
(04-11-2011 10:08 AM)Dais Wrote:  
(04-11-2011 10:00 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Hi Dais, I worked with a guy who wrote a factual book about his local cricket team, called something like 150 and not out - it was all self researched, written and edited, and printed professionally - OK so it was only on sale to those who knew him and the cricket team - but I call that published.

This was some years ago too, so I am guessing you can get your story onto Amazon, etc for sale - just like any band can make music, get the MP3`s on CD Baby or whatever and hey presto you are selling to Amazon, iTunes, Napster, etc etc

I say go for it......

Worth a shot, right? I know you can pay to get a book published, but that seems chancey. I dunno. I sometimes make up stories for my kids, and maybe I'll try putting those together for publication first. Might be better than spending years putting a novel or whatever together and being disappointed if it doesn't sell. Thanks for the push!

~Dais

I think self publishing is really the only realistic way, lets face it there lots and lots of people out there who want to be paid for a book published. The odds are pretty slim of it really happening, takes lots of time, work and dedication, and then still does not happen for many.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2011, 10:51 AM
(04-11-2011 10:50 AM)Rey Wrote:  
(04-11-2011 10:08 AM)Dais Wrote:  
(04-11-2011 10:00 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Hi Dais, I worked with a guy who wrote a factual book about his local cricket team, called something like 150 and not out - it was all self researched, written and edited, and printed professionally - OK so it was only on sale to those who knew him and the cricket team - but I call that published.

This was some years ago too, so I am guessing you can get your story onto Amazon, etc for sale - just like any band can make music, get the MP3`s on CD Baby or whatever and hey presto you are selling to Amazon, iTunes, Napster, etc etc

I say go for it......

Worth a shot, right? I know you can pay to get a book published, but that seems chancey. I dunno. I sometimes make up stories for my kids, and maybe I'll try putting those together for publication first. Might be better than spending years putting a novel or whatever together and being disappointed if it doesn't sell. Thanks for the push!

~Dais

I think self publishing is really the only realistic way, lets face it there lots and lots of people out there who want to be paid for a book published. The odds are pretty slim of it really happening, takes lots of time, work and dedication, and then still does not happen for many.

Spose you're right.

~D
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I think the boss at Honda said, "Supply often creates its own demand" - Do both, write it, edit it, get some peer review from somewhere, (but dont be put off by their comments - accept their praise, ignore their criticism), get it printed - print is ludicrously cheap these days, when I were a lad getting 500 black and white printed cards cost a fortune, artwork was expensive print runs had to be enormous to off set the machine set up times, now you can get really short runs (250 - 500 off) full colour - and then sell it - send it to magazines, book reviews, and the publishers too - and although we would all like to be millionaire artists seliing our work - sometimes just doing it is the reward.
For what it is worth, (Quantum Meruit) nice title for a book, and theme, I too wouldnt mind writing a book, but as someone said the first page is the hardest and most difficult step of the journey....

Living the dream over here in Blighty
04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
You know, you're right. I guess it's important to keep our true goals in mind. While it would be nice to make some money from our creative pursuits, I guess the goal here is to get something out there, whatever it takes. It was kind of funny. I looked into publishing children's books once before, and I had these two publishing houses calling me CONSTANTLY. They must need business! But it also tells me that they would be willing to negotiate...

~Dais
04-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:and I had these two publishing houses calling me CONSTANTLY

Dais, mate that is brilliant - in that case, what are you waiting for? Look how much Princess Fergie made with Little Yellow helicopter - ok she spent it all and then some, but.......with restraint, and one of my patented spreadsheets, you could take life easier.......

Why dont they call me.............miserable...so and so`s........I am for ever calling them........."just one minute....I will put you through to his voice mail".........."Hello I am not available right now, but please do leave me a short message and a telephone number, and I will return your call".........................................

Still waitingBig Grin

04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
They wanted a lot of money to publish my little book, that I haven't written yet - oops. Pesky details! I'm thinking it would take a long time to recoup over $1000.00 on a kids' book...
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Oh - I get you. We had a lot of that when we were kids........."We like your stuff, we think it would go well on this album",

"Wow, really, that is so fantastic, where do we sign?"

"We will send you the contract"

Contract arrives, we assign all copyright for the one track to record company, they promise to manufacture 1000 records, - our track will be one of many other bands tracks. We pay them........er WHAT? We pay them £250 or whatever, they make and sell record, we get 5% of profits.

Even at that young age we knew there is a big difference between Gross Profit, Profit Before Interest and Tax, and Profit after Tax, and the legitmate treatment of stock valuations, write downs, bad debts etc all could lead to an accountancy loss - needless to say we never did it, (did one recently mind you) but didnt pay for the privillege.

No (what do I know) but I wouldnt pay them - go your own way first - and dont sign anything, it is virtually impossible to claim "Non est Factum" - "it is not my act" after, unless a fraud induced you to sign.

04-11-2011, 01:29 PM
(04-11-2011 01:10 PM)Dais Wrote:  They wanted a lot of money to publish my little book, that I haven't written yet - oops. Pesky details! I'm thinking it would take a long time to recoup over $1000.00 on a kids' book...

LOL, they wanted lots of money to publish it huh? I think a dog could write a book by inking some paw prints and they would be calling wanting to publish that, as long as they got the money.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
Find all posts by this user
04-11-2011, 02:07 PM
(04-11-2011 01:29 PM)Rey Wrote:  
(04-11-2011 01:10 PM)Dais Wrote:  They wanted a lot of money to publish my little book, that I haven't written yet - oops. Pesky details! I'm thinking it would take a long time to recoup over $1000.00 on a kids' book...

LOL, they wanted lots of money to publish it huh? I think a dog could write a book by inking some paw prints and they would be calling wanting to publish that, as long as they got the money.

Exactly. I don't need to be published THAT badly.
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I would buy a paw print book, so long as it was hard back........