Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Do you create?
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM
RE: Do you create?
(04-11-2011 02:09 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I would buy a paw print book, so long as it was hard back........

It's all about advertising, I guess. It's funny what people will buy. I mean, darn it, why did I think of shaping rubber bands into shapes? (shaking head) When I was in high school, it was extremely cool to have safety pins with beads on them on your shoe laces. I need to find something like that, and patent it. People buy lots and lots of books with blank pages!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2011, 10:42 PM
(04-11-2011 11:45 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I think the boss at Honda said, "Supply often creates its own demand" - Do both, write it, edit it, get some peer review from somewhere, (but dont be put off by their comments - accept their praise, ignore their criticism), get it printed - print is ludicrously cheap these days, when I were a lad getting 500 black and white printed cards cost a fortune, artwork was expensive print runs had to be enormous to off set the machine set up times, now you can get really short runs (250 - 500 off) full colour - and then sell it - send it to magazines, book reviews, and the publishers too - and although we would all like to be millionaire artists seliing our work - sometimes just doing it is the reward.
For what it is worth, (Quantum Meruit) nice title for a book, and theme, I too wouldnt mind writing a book, but as someone said the first page is the hardest and most difficult step of the journey....

Great advice! You just get your name out there and do some networking. It's a good first step. Of course, you will have to write something eventually Wink

You could also try blogging. It's terrific for honing your style and getting a readership. There are several sites where you can join and publish your stuff. That's what I did. I found a niche - words - and now I have a good following. So much so that I'm thinking about putting a book of my articles together. Hey, it worked for Bubba!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2011, 02:35 AM
As Phil Lynott sang......."You, can do anything you want to, its not wrong what I am saying it`s true, do what you want to"

Living the dream over here in Blighty
04-12-2011, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 02:48 AM by SpaceCadet.)
For me, creating is like physical exercise: If I don't do it for an extended period I start feeling like a useless slug; when I finally get back to it and get it done, the feeling is exhilarating and the phrase "Why the hell did you sit on your arse so long?" reverberates accusingly around my cranium.

If you've never had the pleasure of reading Isaac Asimov's "Black Widowers" short stories I highly encourage them, on a narrow tie in to this topic: They're about a group of storytellers that meets periodically at a classic gentleman's club, with each meeting beginning with the question "How do you justify your existence?"

The question can be both valid and invalid depending on how you read it, but I think creating stuff is easily the greatest "justification" for one's existence. Creation is a unique concept and maybe even an enigma: Something from nothing; the product of freshly-burned neural pathways; however you want to look at it. But it's simply the greatest thing you can do. I'm thinking too much, I think. Rolleyes (D'OH!)

Anyhow, I've gotten the writing bug too, particularly after some evangelical-caliber raving by a respected acquaintance (also acclaimed author and publisher,) on the subject of the seismic print-to-electronic phenomenon that's rocking the publishing world. The time is now to dive into writing, because e-books have rendered that whole stifling cabal of agents and old-line publishing houses - not to mention the vast percentages of your income they skim for the privilege of using them - as irrelevant anachronisms. Nose is firmly affixed to the grindstone, but I'll say no more until I've actually got something marketable. 'Coupla years.

Making music is another, though I haven't recorded with anyone for a long time. In the late '90s I wheedled my way into a group of bizarre avant-garde hippy-dippy musicians who recorded exactly one hour of free improv to 4-track every Wednesday evening, and the experience was incredible. The actual sonic result was usually unlistenable, but once in awhile we'd lock into a groove and do some excellent things with it. So I'm sitting on 80+ sixty-minute cassettes of our weekly lunacies, roughly one-third of which I've gotten around to digitizing for posteriority. At some point I'll extract the interesting stuff for a "greatest hits" compilation and unleash it at family and friends. I also plan on extrapolating on some of the ideas I came up with and turning them into a self-produced disc, but first I have to figure out how to interface with my computer and do multitracking. And find time.

A related thing is 3D graphics - I bought a relatively-cheap program called Bryce 6 awhile back, with the idea of creating some of the spectacular images I've seen other people do with it. Have a look at this and this and this, etc... Bryce is cheap but it's got a massive learning curve and no courses that teach it. My first project is to create cartoonish models of my fellow musicians from the above-mentioned improv jams, to pose and place in landscapes for "album cover art" for each of the hourlong recordings. Progress is slow with just one of my friend-figures complete and the second roughly halfway, but they're already hilarious. When I've gotten them completed I can start the easier part: creating landscapes, buildings, creatures, etc. with which to surround them, based on imaginings suggested by the bizarre pun-laden titles our late, great conguero gave them.

Brewing beer also provides a matchless sense of creative accomplishment, but it's difficult to do it in a warm climate (nearly impossible in a California apartment even with the global cooling that's gripping our planet,) and it takes a huge amount of preparation and work in any case.

Gah! Another book! Brevity! Sorreee... 'One of my fave subjects though, dammit.
04-12-2011, 05:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 05:11 AM by Dais.)
[/quote]

Great advice! You just get your name out there and do some networking. It's a good first step. Of course, you will have to write something eventually Wink

You could also try blogging. It's terrific for honing your style and getting a readership. There are several sites where you can join and publish your stuff. That's what I did. I found a niche - words - and now I have a good following. So much so that I'm thinking about putting a book of my articles together. Hey, it worked for Bubba!
[/quote]

I blog a lot. My blogs keep me going. They make me feel as if I'm working - researching - which I greatly enjoy. I spend so much time on the computer, my 6 1/2 year old gently suggested yesterday that I ease back on it. I'm sure she's right. But it gives me a sense of purpose.

~Dais
(04-12-2011 02:41 AM)SpaceCadet Wrote:  For me, creating is like physical exercise: If I don't do it for an extended period I start feeling like a useless slug; when I finally get back to it and get it done, the feeling is exhilarating and the phrase "Why the hell did you sit on your arse so long?" reverberates accusingly around my cranium.

If you've never had the pleasure of reading Isaac Asimov's "Black Widowers" short stories I highly encourage them, on a narrow tie in to this topic: They're about a group of storytellers that meets periodically at a classic gentleman's club, with each meeting beginning with the question "How do you justify your existence?"

The question can be both valid and invalid depending on how you read it, but I think creating stuff is easily the greatest "justification" for one's existence. Creation is a unique concept and maybe even an enigma: Something from nothing; the product of freshly-burned neural pathways; however you want to look at it. But it's simply the greatest thing you can do. I'm thinking too much, I think. Rolleyes (D'OH!)

Anyhow, I've gotten the writing bug too, particularly after some evangelical-caliber raving by a respected acquaintance (also acclaimed author and publisher,) on the subject of the seismic print-to-electronic phenomenon that's rocking the publishing world. The time is now to dive into writing, because e-books have rendered that whole stifling cabal of agents and old-line publishing houses - not to mention the vast percentages of your income they skim for the privilege of using them - as irrelevant anachronisms. Nose is firmly affixed to the grindstone, but I'll say no more until I've actually got something marketable. 'Coupla years.

Making music is another, though I haven't recorded with anyone for a long time. In the late '90s I wheedled my way into a group of bizarre avant-garde hippy-dippy musicians who recorded exactly one hour of free improv to 4-track every Wednesday evening, and the experience was incredible. The actual sonic result was usually unlistenable, but once in awhile we'd lock into a groove and do some excellent things with it. So I'm sitting on 80+ sixty-minute cassettes of our weekly lunacies, roughly one-third of which I've gotten around to digitizing for posteriority. At some point I'll extract the interesting stuff for a "greatest hits" compilation and unleash it at family and friends. I also plan on extrapolating on some of the ideas I came up with and turning them into a self-produced disc, but first I have to figure out how to interface with my computer and do multitracking. And find time.

A related thing is 3D graphics - I bought a relatively-cheap program called Bryce 6 awhile back, with the idea of creating some of the spectacular images I've seen other people do with it. Have a look at this and this and this, etc... Bryce is cheap but it's got a massive learning curve and no courses that teach it. My first project is to create cartoonish models of my fellow musicians from the above-mentioned improv jams, to pose and place in landscapes for "album cover art" for each of the hourlong recordings. Progress is slow with just one of my friend-figures complete and the second roughly halfway, but they're already hilarious. When I've gotten them completed I can start the easier part: creating landscapes, buildings, creatures, etc. with which to surround them, based on imaginings suggested by the bizarre pun-laden titles our late, great conguero gave them.

Brewing beer also provides a matchless sense of creative accomplishment, but it's difficult to do it in a warm climate (nearly impossible in a California apartment even with the global cooling that's gripping our planet,) and it takes a huge amount of preparation and work in any case.

Gah! Another book! Brevity! Sorreee... 'One of my fave subjects though, dammit.

Excellent excellent excellent. Very creative and fun. Love this.
04-12-2011, 11:43 PM
I also make jewelry. Been doing it for a little over 20 years. You can see some of my work

HERE

The latest one is a steampunk set based on the CA symbols.

04-13-2011, 06:36 AM
(04-10-2011 11:04 AM)Dais Wrote:  Seems to me that a lot of people feel good when they create something. Neil mentioned feeling this way in a book of his. I relate well to this. I have always enjoyed creating in a crafty way. Crocheting, making clay beads, and more recently, sewing. Clothes for my kids, occasional items for myself, baby stuff for my nephew-to-be, pillowcases for charity. Etc. I'm driven to make stuff. It somehow validates me. I also like to create blog entries. I like to put my ideas and my creations out for the world to see. I like sharing and communicating in that way.

Do you create something? What motivates you?

~Dais

I tie flies for fly fishing. Made from natural materials (feathers, fur, hair..)
Most are very tiny. I'll get some pictures.

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
04-13-2011, 06:45 AM
cool =)
04-13-2011, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 06:42 PM by NamoNamo.)
(04-10-2011 11:24 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I like creating massive spreadsheets, with loads of formulas, different pages, tabs, cells feeding into formulas, figuers in negative going into parentheses or red, and stuff like that - I enjoy a really good left brain work out as much as right brain....

I mainly create them for financial budgets, family and business, and it makes me relaxed that I can exercise control and order on numbers.........Bit sad really....

I wish I was able to be so organised...
(04-12-2011 11:43 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  I also make jewelry. Been doing it for a little over 20 years. You can see some of my work

HERE

The latest one is a steampunk set based on the CA symbols.

oooh love it! Steampunk is awesome..and i especially like the necklace with the skulls and the spades! wooh!
I started photography because I like to create..but I'm shit at drawing and painting, haha!
When I was little..like 5-13 I MADE Christmas gifts for every person in my family..unfortunately my crafting skills did not improve with my age, so I gave it up...

~Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it~
04-14-2011, 02:28 AM
Thanks Namo Namo! The one you like was inspired by Roll The Bones Wink

I cannot draw to save my life, either. My daughter, OTOH, is great! I don't know where she got it from...