Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reccommended Websites: "The Pioneer Woman" and "Tasty Kitchen"
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Reccommended Websites: "The Pioneer Woman" and "Tasty Kitchen"
You can find them at these locations!

http://thepioneerwoman.com

and from that page is a link to "Tasty Kitchen"

And just as a warning to those watching their figures, The Pioneer Woman uses quite a bit of cream and butter in her recipes (but they are sooooooo good!).

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2010, 06:37 PM
RE: Reccommended Websites: "The Pioneer Woman" and "Tasty Kitchen"
I loved that site!

I bookmarked her recipe for raised donuts, to be made in the near future. I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time prowling her other recipes. Real ingredients are a good thing!

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
04-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Your welcome! So far, the recipes I've made have received no complaints from my husband. So far, my favorite ones are for the cauliflower soup, the "Huevos Ree-os", the Vodka/tomato pasta sauce, and the Perfect Pancakes. She has also said that her chocolate sheet cake will bring a guaranteed marriage proposal, which she gets from her husband every time she makes it.

I love her stories and photography too! A great way to start the day!

04-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Today, I'm making a recipe that she posted, via "Pastor Ryan" last week for "Delicious Zucchini cakes". They are tasty, however they don't always stay in their original form once in the fryer.

04-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Sounds good!

I'm going to need all the zucchini recipes I can get later this summer...that stuff grows like a weed here in the PNW and sometimes even one plant produces too many! I'll never plant "3 to a hill" again LOL

Z bread, z muffins, stuffed z, grilled z, stir fried z, z primavera...oy! You see where I'm going here ;-)
04-28-2010, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2010 03:57 PM by Brutus.)
RE: Recommended Websites: "The Pioneer Woman" and "Tasty Kitchen"
Entre Nous, I know what you mean!
I live in the PNW too and the first year I grew a garden, I learned the hard way that one zucchini plant provided enough for us! (fortunately, my grandma took some of it, but we still had more than enough)

Gosh, maybe there should be a Zucchini thread for all of the uses for it!

04-28-2010, 09:04 PM
My first year, I ran out of friends and relatives before I ran out of "z" and lemon cucumbers. Good thing it's so versatile, you can hide it in just about anything. My Grandma used to pickle it, and I wish she was still here to teach me. Hers were tangy, with a cinnamon stick and probably cloves and peppercorns, or something...it's been years since we had the last jar of those, and she never wrote down recipes.

We could include recipes for all those other prolific veggies from our gardens, too!
04-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Entre Nous, it's too bad that your grandma didn't have those recipes written down. Maybe you can experiment or maybe there is a similar recipe online. Recipes for the plethora of veggies that tend to grow from just a few plants! There's a cookbook idea. Tomatoes and squash are others that are hard to keep up with. I made a lot of stir fry with the zucchini last year. The onions, I chopped and froze in 1 cup portions (and ran out of by fall), and most of the tomatoes were blanched and frozen. I haven't tried to make any pickles because I'm the only one in my house that likes them and I think that there would be a protest if I did.

Something that I haven't been able to grow is corn (preferably Bodacious corn). The critters always tend to get to it just before it's ready to harvest. I have to go to the farms to get that.

04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
She was one of those "pinch, smidgen, handful" women LOL I'm trying to get my Mom to write down the pie crust recipe for the other thread, and she's the same way! I do need to look harder for that zucchini recipe...I think she probably adapted it from one of those old Ball or Kerr canning books.

I did inherit a love of canning from her, and that certainly helps keep the bounty of the garden under control. Here's another good trick I got from her: just before the first frost, she used to pull her tomato plants up, roots, dirt, green tomatoes and all, and hang them upside down in her basement. It works! I've had fresh tomatoes from my own vines as late as Dec 1st. I hang them from the trusses in my garage (no basement). She also kept onions in panty hose, with a knot in between each one, so they didn't touch. You just cut off the bottom one (below the knot) when you need one. I've held Walla Wallas this way longer than any other, except for that french onion soup I wrote about in the pot roast recipe.

Wandered off, didn't I? oops!

Corn, I give up. In my urban PDX garden, they cross pollinated with the neighbors' corn, so everyone ended up with corn not resembling anything close to what was planted. I'm convinced you have to grow a pretty good sized patch to overcome that. I'm with you: off to the fruit stand for corn! ;-) At least you GET some ears for critters LOL

I like your cookbook idea, Bageleth!
04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
(04-29-2010 09:27 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  Entre Nous, it's too bad that your grandma didn't have those recipes written down. Maybe you can experiment or maybe there is a similar recipe online. Recipes for the plethora of veggies that tend to grow from just a few plants! There's a cookbook idea. Tomatoes and squash are others that are hard to keep up with. I made a lot of stir fry with the zucchini last year. The onions, I chopped and froze in 1 cup portions (and ran out of by fall), and most of the tomatoes were blanched and frozen. I haven't tried to make any pickles because I'm the only one in my house that likes them and I think that there would be a protest if I did.

Something that I haven't been able to grow is corn (preferably Bodacious corn). The critters always tend to get to it just before it's ready to harvest. I have to go to the farms to get that.

seriousy, i love fried pickles, and zucchini is best fried in tempura, dipping sauce, side. Like the laps of apsa as a stranger coming out of the rain. asparagus doesnt halt hangovers, neither does green pea.