Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Absinthe anyone?
04-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Wink Absinthe anyone?
Just would like to know how many peeps here have tried my favourite elixir.

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2011, 08:03 PM
RE: Absinthe anyone?
Hi, smoker guy!
I like it, and there are a couple of microdistillers here in Portland, OR. My favorite one is called "Trillium" and it's from here: http://www.integrityspirits.com
04-12-2011, 08:39 PM
(04-12-2011 08:03 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  Hi, smoker guy!
I like it, and there are a couple of microdistillers here in Portland, OR. My favorite one is called "Trillium" and it's from here: http://www.integrityspirits.com

Excellent. so far my fav. is called Lucid from France, but i don't mind partaking of Absente(NOW WITH WORMWOOD) from Proveance, France.

Its hard to get herein Iowa as the stae gov'ment controls what comes into the state. I do recommend Lucid tho, as it uses Gustav Eiffel's Alembic design, and is resonably priced. Will check out Trillium on my part also, thanks.Big Grin

04-12-2011, 08:55 PM
My husband and I tried it. He liked it-I hated it. I'm not fond of the licorice flavor. It was apparently good stuff though. My lips and tongue went numb as soon as it hit! Yikes!

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder......

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
04-13-2011, 04:24 PM
(04-12-2011 08:39 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  Excellent. so far my fav. is called Lucid from France, but i don't mind partaking of Absente(NOW WITH WORMWOOD) from Proveance, France.

Its hard to get herein Iowa as the stae gov'ment controls what comes into the state. I do recommend Lucid tho, as it uses Gustav Eiffel's Alembic design, and is resonably priced. Will check out Trillium on my part also, thanks.Big Grin

Oregon is a liquor controlled state also. Agreed, it really is difficult to try new things unless you fetch 'em yourself from elsewhere Wink

Thanks for the import recommendations. I'll look for them!
04-13-2011, 07:34 PM
I've always wanted to try this reputable elixar but frankly found it not very affordable. Is there anything special about it that makes it worth the money,,, or is it all just (green) fairie tales?
04-13-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't care for licorice. Is there one produced that smacks of another "flavor" perhaps?

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
04-14-2011, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2011 08:57 AM by smoker guy.)
(04-13-2011 07:34 PM)MAL_ONE Wrote:  I've always wanted to try this reputable elixar but frankly found it not very affordable. Is there anything special about it that makes it worth the money,,, or is it all just (green) fairie tales?

Well, there are many myths about Absinthe. I have found tho that while drink, you will still be lucid and able to speak clearly. It supposedly has the ability to make you more creative, I don`t know about that. The biggest thing tho is to not drink it straight(avg. alc is 110-130 proof). Follow instructions on Louching the drink .

To louche is easy, I take 1 &1/2 oz of absinthe. I pour it into a 6-7oz. glass. Next I put a sugar cube into a slotted spoon and slowly pour 3 oz. of distilled or spring water (never tap water, alc. will bring out chemical taste in water). Once the sugar cube is dissolved, take the slotted spoon and give the mix a quick stir and enjoy. The cool part is as the water is added, the absinthe develop a milky consistency. Hope this info is helpful.
(04-13-2011 08:12 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  I don't care for licorice. Is there one produced that smacks of another "flavor" perhaps?

Not that I know of Mufasa. Le Tourment Vert has eucalyptus taste, but I found it too harsh to take. The licorice flavor comes from the herbs that are used in the steeping process. I know Grand Wormwood, fennel are in Absinthe, can`t remember the others tho.

09-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I drank it straight and it made me sick. I had it as part of the New Orleans drink "Sazerac" and it was excellent in that context.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2011, 08:48 PM
(09-01-2011 08:01 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  I drank it straight and it made me sick. I had it as part of the New Orleans drink "Sazerac" and it was excellent in that context.

Yes, I understand about drinking it straight. It averages anywhere from 110 proof- 130proof. Its always better to louche it or drink in a mix. Some people actually set a shot of it on fire then drink it after they put out the flame. They call this hot shotting if I remember correctly. I myself prefer to louche it, 1 1/2 oz. of Absinthe and add 3-4oz of ice cold spring water to it by gently and slowly pouring over a sugar cube that sits in a slotted spoon resting over the glass. A nice summer drink, but be careful to not overindulge...the effect creeps up on you. Big Grin