Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Strange" Cookbooks
04-17-2011, 03:21 PM
"Strange" Cookbooks
Hey All,
I saw this slide show put together by Delish that cracked me up....

http://www.delish.com/food-fun/strange-c...s?src=tod1

Any seen any other Strange Cookbooks?

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2011, 03:29 PM
RE: "Strange" Cookbooks
As a matter of fact.....

Several years ago, my wife picked up a book called the "Road Kill Book of Cooking" at Powell Books in Portland - something like that. Laughed my arse off good too. All sorts of "recipes" for armadillo, possum, coon, and even snake. Another one my mom has is "The Hillbilly CookBook" and I almost swear she picked it up in Savannah.

Then there is the "How To Boil Water" cookbook for the eternally uncoordinated!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I have seen those same cookbooks at Borders one time. One I have found is "Guide to Cooking on your Car Engine!"
Yep, learn to cook using the heat of your car engine...sounds innovative? It may come in handy on those long roadtrips with friends I suppose! :X

~Cook to Live. Live to Bake~
04-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Actually not far off....

Since I work for the highway department, I have been out in the field and literally seen about anything you could possibly want to throw in some tin foil or a can cooked on an engine. Saw one guy cook up a couple pork chops and some taters, another guy tossed up some turkey legs with a butter garlic glaze of some sort. One time I saw someone actually forget about their can of Hormels Chili and the darn thing exploded all over me and two other field inspectors. I think the tastiest thing I ever saw cooked was a plate of beef tips with onions peppers, garlic, and a bag of rice. The dish was called "Gilly Gilly" and its a Phillipino dish which is down right awesome on a paving machine exhaust.

Hey - where there is a will, there is a way and if you are hungry enough and can't leave the paver, you improvise!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
06-20-2011, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2011 07:00 PM by BrianW.)
The book is called Manifold Destiny and is still in print (last I looked). Gave one to my buddies up in Maine and then went one further by cooking on their snowmobiles too! It really works.

Season's Greetings!
07-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Ok, couldn't resist this one on the shelf: Gourmet Cooking in Crappy Little Kitchens by Jennifer Schaertl. Decent prep/instruction/cook times, easy (not exotic) ingredients, chock-full of tips (and traps) for making good, quick, delicious meals in your galley of limited space.

Season's Greetings!
07-25-2011, 04:08 PM
(07-25-2011 01:03 PM)BrianW Wrote:  Ok, couldn't resist this one on the shelf: Gourmet Cooking in Crappy Little Kitchens by Jennifer Schaertl. Decent prep/instruction/cook times, easy (not exotic) ingredients, chock-full of tips (and traps) for making good, quick, delicious meals in your galley of limited space.
This sounds like the book that I needed in my last apartment. You couldn't even fit a large cookie sheet in the apartment sized oven.

My current kitchen looked huge compared to that place, and it's just normal sized.

07-25-2011, 06:20 PM
(07-25-2011 04:08 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(07-25-2011 01:03 PM)BrianW Wrote:  Ok, couldn't resist this one on the shelf: Gourmet Cooking in Crappy Little Kitchens by Jennifer Schaertl. Decent prep/instruction/cook times, easy (not exotic) ingredients, chock-full of tips (and traps) for making good, quick, delicious meals in your galley of limited space.
This sounds like the book that I needed in my last apartment. You couldn't even fit a large cookie sheet in the apartment sized oven.

My current kitchen looked huge compared to that place, and it's just normal sized.
The title caught me eye (obviously), but it's a good little straight forward cookbook with lots of simple, basic ingredients, and how to fix 'em, along with some great tips. My kitchen is cramped too. Feel like I could cook standing on a sit and spin sometimes! New place - bigger kitchen still?

Season's Greetings!
07-25-2011, 08:54 PM
(07-25-2011 06:20 PM)BrianW Wrote:  

The title caught me eye (obviously), but it's a good little straight forward cookbook with lots of simple, basic ingredients, and how to fix 'em, along with some great tips. My kitchen is cramped too. Feel like I could cook standing on a sit and spin sometimes! New place - bigger kitchen still?

Yup. They put an addition on the house, and it's all dining room...attached to the kitchen. I can put a work table and a dining table in it.
My sister and I are going to be in heaven. We both love to cook, and now we'll have the space to do it.

07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
(07-25-2011 08:54 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(07-25-2011 06:20 PM)BrianW Wrote:  

Yup. They put an addition on the house, and it's all dining room...attached to the kitchen. I can put a work table and a dining table in it.
My sister and I are going to be in heaven. We both love to cook, and now we'll have the space to do it.

Fantastic. Though you may not rate this book now (not crappy Wink

Season's Greetings!