Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Strange" Cookbooks
07-31-2011, 03:23 AM
RE: "Strange" Cookbooks
I have one full of recipes utilizing banana slugs...I bought it at UC Santa Cruz when I was a grad student there. It's understood to be a joke, because no one would EVER want to eat one those things. They're awesome, yes, but not really considered edible.

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
This one just came in to put on the shelf and into your stocking for Christmas , Quick-Fix Cooking with Roadkill by Buck "Buck" Peterson.

Season's Greetings!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I think my mother has that book. Thought it was a LITTLE WIERD that my mother had a book with the word ROADKILL on it.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
12-23-2011, 01:30 AM
(12-22-2011 11:58 AM)BrianW Wrote:  This one just came in to put on the shelf and into your stocking for Christmas , Quick-Fix Cooking with Roadkill by Buck "Buck" Peterson.

Well, in this economy one gets their meat where they can I guess... as long as it's fresh there isn't really anything wrong with it. Not that I'd know from experience.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
12-23-2011, 02:02 PM
(12-23-2011 01:30 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  
(12-22-2011 11:58 AM)BrianW Wrote:  This one just came in to put on the shelf and into your stocking for Christmas , Quick-Fix Cooking with Roadkill by Buck "Buck" Peterson.

Well, in this economy one gets their meat where they can I guess... as long as it's fresh there isn't really anything wrong with it. Not that I'd know from experience.

Last night my MIL hit a deer (or rather, the deer ran into the side of her car) on the way to a friend's house. She was fine and there was suprisingly little damage to her vehicle, but when she went back she discovered the lil' critter hadn't fared so well....off to Bambi heaven. My FIL and his buddy ended up dragging it off the road early this morning. Considering they live out in the country, he was surprised it was still there....

(As an aside, our kids now have a new theme song for her...."Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." Tongue)

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
12-23-2011, 03:58 PM
I had to drag a raccoon off the road in front of the house this morning. Fat sucker, but I hear they're awful to eat. Need to consult my neighbor Dickster, who has a freezer full of critters. He's amassing a list of (un)eatables.

Season's Greetings!
12-23-2011, 05:04 PM
When I was a teenager my Dad worked in the muffler factory and he had a southern truck driver friend whose route came thru to the factory. When he would be on his route in Canada he would pick up Ginger Beer and bring it back to my Dad for raccoon meat. So at various times there would be wrapped whole skinned frozen raccoons in my parents large chest freezer. My Dad said his friend loved the sweet flavor, something to the fact that they were corn/alfalfa and garden fed.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-23-2011, 06:37 PM
I've also heard that raccoons aren't very palatable. So, the ginger beer was meant to tenderize/flavor/make it edible?

Burma, the first thing I thought of was Michael: "Why did you kill me?" Oh, man! Big Grin

12-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Ok, so I didn't explain that too clearly, we got the Ginger Beer and the truck driver got the raccoons. Smile

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-24-2011, 12:44 AM
(12-23-2011 07:21 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Ok, so I didn't explain that too clearly, we got the Ginger Beer and the truck driver got the raccoons. Smile

Whew! You had me confuddled there [Image: confused02.gif]