Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving
Maybe you only want 6-12 jars instead of 48, have a small amount of ingredients, less room or time, or maybe you'd like to try canning a chutney or some pickles for the first time. This book has scaled down versions of timeless classics and new products, as well as a section on making your own flavored oils and vinegars.

http://www.ecookbooks.com/p-9536-the-com...rving.aspx

Of course, the best part about canning is that one can take advantage of all the fresh, abundant produce in season, but this book also allows you to cruise the produce aisle in the off season and buy just enough to make a small batch to gift, cure a craving, or experiment with something new.

Since there aren't any direct links to the book or author (that I can find...) I'd be happy to post up some recipes either here or in the Canning section, if anyone's curious. I've tried a few and had good results.

I hope you find this book as interesting as I do Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2011, 04:53 AM
RE: The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving
Thank you! I only have one pressure cooker left! had an Imperial entanglement 20 years ago and Stormtroopers took the other one! Apparently they didn't like my mycology experiment. Haven't canned anything since. The abundance of produce where I live makes it logical to start canning, also a lot cheaper.LOL

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Thank you! I only have one pressure cooker left! had an Imperial entanglement 20 years ago and Stormtroopers took the other one! Apparently they didn't like my mycology experiment. Haven't canned anything since. The abundance of produce where I live makes it logical to start canning, also a lot cheaper.LOL

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
05-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi Layllah, and you're welcome! Funny, I describe my divorce in exactly the same terms LOL

Luckily, the recipes in this book employ a water bath, so no testing of your cooker lid is required before you get canning. There are a few people here who enjoy canning, me included, I just don't have the storage space or the garden any longer. I don't have as much free time as I used to so these small batches are perfect for me to do in an evening.

"I will quietly resist."
08-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Of the various canning books I use, Blue Ribbon Preserves is my fave. Great results, most batches are 6 - 8 jars, and it covers a wide variety of canning and preserving. I use a water bath to process, never yet made anything I need a pressure cooker with.
08-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Brilliant! I have the Ball Book of Canning which is my canning bible. But sometimes all I can get of some things is only enough for a small batch. This will help.Smile

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
08-31-2011, 10:00 PM
I also have the Ball Book of Canning (which my mother called "The Ball Blue Book"). It's the "go to" for my canning questions......so far. I also have a book titled, "Stocking Up: How to Preserve the Foods You Grow Naturally". It covers harvesting, canning, freezing, drying, underground storage, of fruits & veggies, as well as preserving meat and fish, and nuts, seeds and grains.

So far this year, the only item that I've canned is Marionberry jam. I'm set to make and can raspberry jam on Friday.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
08-31-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm hoping for some cool weather next week so I can make blackberry jam. And maybe cherry, too, if we score some cherries at The Dalles. I love cherry pies, so maybe pie filling will be on the canning list, too. If I can find a recipe. Anyone have one?

09-01-2011, 09:53 PM
(08-31-2011 10:21 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  I'm hoping for some cool weather next week so I can make blackberry jam. And maybe cherry, too, if we score some cherries at The Dalles. I love cherry pies, so maybe pie filling will be on the canning list, too. If I can find a recipe. Anyone have one?

I looked through my preserving books, but found no cherry pie filling recipes for canning. I DID find that cherries freeze really well-like for several years if the freezer is at or below O degrees F. I also learned that sour pie cherries deteriorate quickly ESPECIALLY if you take the stems off. To freeze sour cherries for pies, pit them and save the juice. Add 1/4 cup sugar for each 3 1/2 cups of cherries. There is a filling recipe here that I assume could be canned.

Put in a non-reactive pan: 3 1/2C pitted cherries, 3/4C + 2TBSP sugar, 2 1/2TBSP cornstarch, and a pinch of salt. Let sit for 10 minutes so the juice is flowing. Stir gently and bring to a full boil over med. heat, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 tsp pure almond extract-they say it brings out a more intense cherry flavor.

The book said not to cook the filling until the pie shell is baked, or it won't be a bright color. I don't know if that would be a big deal for you when canning the filling. The book also said that if you freeze them, remember that you already put 1/4C sugar in with the cherries when you go to make the pie.

Hope this helps. All I know is that now I want some cherry pie! Tongue

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Fantastic, Gungawoman!! Thank you. When can you come over for pie? Big Grin