Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Seasoning steaks - gospel or heresy
04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Seasoning steaks - gospel or heresy
Among many of my grilling associates, there is a divide...not between gas/coal, but whether to season prime steaks or not. There is an element that believes anything other than salt and pepper is destroying or burying the flavor. I personally imbue my steaks with a few extra flavors that I enjoy.

Anyone else deal with these differences in culinary approaches?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2011, 06:13 PM
RE: Seasoning steaks - gospel or heresy
I have heard it both ways. Depends on my mood, the time of the evening, how many drams of whisky I have had....there are literally dozens of variables. Personally, though, we season ours with a little extra something or two before we drop them on the grill. That being said - I have done it both ways, and if you want to be a surly stick in the mud then don't do it, but I truly believe thats why we use seasonings....you can cook a quality steak and just by using seasonings you can get a totally different flavor every time - thats why they call it the SPICE of LIFE!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Depends on a lot of things whether we season with just salt and pepper or something else. We like them both ways.
04-28-2011, 12:42 PM
I think it's perfectly ok. I tend to coat with olive oil first so I get a nice, crisp char and add a smidge of garlic powder for a little flavor. Sometimes, a little fresh ground pepper.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
04-28-2011, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2011 02:11 PM by ioc.)
These days, I've been using a wet rub of salt, pepper, SoCo (or bourbon), chipotle Tabasco, finished off with a little molasses. On a nice thick rib-eye, delish!
(04-28-2011 12:42 PM)dheafey Wrote:  I think it's perfectly ok. I tend to coat with olive oil first so I get a nice, crisp char and add a smidge of garlic powder for a little flavor. Sometimes, a little fresh ground pepper.

Olive oil...mmmm.

Back in the day, for that super-crispiness, I would use butter...I mean, I'd just slather it on. (Hey, I'm a sutherner, y'aal.)
04-28-2011, 02:58 PM
(04-28-2011 02:09 PM)ioc Wrote:  These days, I've been using a wet rub of salt, pepper, SoCo (or bourbon), chipotle Tabasco, finished off with a little molasses. On a nice thick rib-eye, delish!

That sounds ridiculously good! How can you go wrong with a bit of bourbon on anything! Well, except on your shirt. That would be a sinful waste of spirits.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
04-28-2011, 07:06 PM
My rule of thumb is as the quality of the cut decreases the amount of seasoning/maranade increases.

For a Prime Steak, salt and pepper and a good big handfull of rosemary branches in the smoker box is usually enough for me!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
04-28-2011, 07:41 PM
For a Prime Steak, salt and pepper and a good big handfull of rosemary branches in the smoker box is usually enough for me!
[/quote]

Or how 'bout a nice rib eye-salt and pepper-a pat of butter on top when it's done and serve it with rosemary roasted potatoes!!!
I already ate dinner and now I'm hungry again from reading this!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
04-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Rosemary branches are hard to find 'round these parts, but HICKORY chips - on the other hand.....

We get Eye of Round, and slice it into about 4 steaks. Its about the leanest meanest you can find, and the portion is just right. Sometimes we use the butter, other times we use a balsalmic marinade that my wife and I enjoy.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Mmmmm.... charred mammal flesh(says the Hubby)

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic