Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Seasoning steaks - gospel or heresy
04-29-2011, 07:26 AM
RE: Seasoning steaks - gospel or heresy
Sometimes I like to marinate my steaks overnight before I grill them.I also do the indirect heat thing with the coals on one side.I'll take a skillet and sear the steak on both sides on the coals,take it off,saute some onions,mushrooms,garlic,tomatoes etc and let it finish on the "coalless" side.A delight! Next: stuffed grilled shrimp!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2011, 08:31 AM
I forgot to add, one of my favorite seasonings for steak is McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning.
Its a nice flavor combonation, and you should be able to find it in any supermarket, so you don't have to make a special trip to find it.
A word to the wise, it has quite a bit of salt, so use it with a gentle hand.....

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Yep, HardwareGrl - I'll second that! Montreal Steak seasoning is my seasoning of choice for steaks as well. Also agree with your advice to use sparingly - a little goes a long way.
04-29-2011, 02:17 PM
I like something called "Perfect Pinch Steak" by McCormick. It also has a lot of salt, but gives steak (and chicken) a good flavor. There's no MSG in it either.

04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Someone mentioned that the better the cut of meat the less need for spices. Most often that's a good rule of thumb, though often I wonder about diners at a good establishment ordering a med-rare prime rib and then smother it with horseradish.

As for me, usually it's just some salt and pepper for a good quality cut. Not much, just a light pinch to give the meat some extra depth. While I do like the Montreal-style spice, sometimes I find it's a bit too salty for my liking.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
04-30-2011, 09:49 AM
(04-29-2011 02:40 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  .... though often I wonder about diners at a good establishment ordering a med-rare prime rib and then smother it with horseradish.

Oh, I don't know OHR, I've had some Prime Rib that really needed the horseradish, to cover up the sh*tty roasting job someone did...Confused

The Carnivore Gods need to smite people that manage to mess up Prime Rib...Angry

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
05-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Montreal Steak Seasoning! Hey Hardwear Grl they sell it in the really big bottles at walmart! works pretty good in scrambled eggs!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Montreal Steak Seasoning! Hey Hardwear Grl they sell it in the really big bottles at walmart! works pretty good in scrambled eggs!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2011, 09:52 PM
(05-01-2011 04:57 PM)Layllah Wrote:  Montreal Steak Seasoning! Hey Hardwear Grl they sell it in the really big bottles at walmart! works pretty good in scrambled eggs!

LOL, so does CostCo!

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
05-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Sometimes we'll use Chicago Steak Seasoning or the English Prime Rib Rub from Penzeys Spices.

http://www.penzeys.com

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic