Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Seasoning steaks - gospel or heresy
05-03-2011, 04:58 PM
RE: Seasoning steaks - gospel or heresy
I have to agree with that Montreal spice. It's great on anything!

I've been using this recipe for blackening spice for years: http://www.food.com/recipe/blackening-spice-mix-23983

We do this outside on the Weber with a cast iron skillet directly on the coals. I love just about anything blackened!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2011, 12:33 PM
(05-03-2011 04:58 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  I have to agree with that Montreal spice. It's great on anything!

I've been using this recipe for blackening spice for years: http://www.food.com/recipe/blackening-spice-mix-23983

We do this outside on the Weber with a cast iron skillet directly on the coals. I love just about anything blackened!

Thanks we used to use Paul Prudhommes but we can't find it anymore. Now I can make it yeah!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-16-2011, 10:55 AM
There really are no rules. Like others above I coat with Olive oil which helps with outside searing (and lubes the grill for non stick performance) and generally use a bit of salt and pepper. On occasion rub in some Montreal spice. What I always do however is make a sauce from some cut fat, wine and butter.

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating"
05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
(05-15-2011 12:33 PM)Layllah Wrote:  Thanks we used to use Paul Prudhommes but we can't find it anymore. Now I can make it yeah!

You're welcome Smile I used to use Paul's too, and spent a fortune on those darn tiny bottles, until I found that recipe. Enjoy!

"I will quietly resist."
05-23-2011, 03:18 AM
I don't season my steaks pre-grill anymore. When they come off the heat, I tend to pour some nice olive oil on top, then sprinkle fleur de sel, finito! If I feel adventurous I sprinkle some of my peppermix on top. It's nothing fancy, I just grind green, black, and white pepper corns, get's the flavors and oils out in a totally differnet way, than your usual pepper mill. :2cents:

Ümläuts mäkës mëtäl heävÿ
02-20-2013, 05:39 PM
(05-01-2011 09:52 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  
(05-01-2011 04:57 PM)Layllah Wrote:  Montreal Steak Seasoning! Hey Hardwear Grl they sell it in the really big bottles at walmart! works pretty good in scrambled eggs!

LOL, so does CostCo!

I'm with ya. BIG fan of Montreal seasoning, on the grill or in a cast iron pan.

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Any deviation is a problem.
02-24-2013, 09:58 AM
As someone said a couple years ago... Wink it depends on the cut, generally.
I have a 'kitchen sink" marinade I use on london broil or sirloin tips, and if it's a good prime, just a dash of salt and pepper.
and Montreal Steak Spice? been using that forever.. my dad grew up in Montreal and it's in my blood. Preferably St Huberts brand, but you can't get it here in the States. Mccormick in the restaurant / mass quantities store size works well enough.
06-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Reviving an old thread because...well, it's steak! Big Grin

I have my own haphazard mix of spices I'll put on the steak. Within those, however, I use Kosher salt vs. standard table salt, as I prefer the texture of it. If I am not using a marinade, I often load mine up with cracked peppercorns.

For a marinade, I use one out of a Weber cookbook. I rarely marinate steak, but this is one we really like. Basically, 6 tbsp oil, 3 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, one or two crushed garlic cloves, one teaspoon each of Kosher salt and ground black pepper, and a teaspoon or two of basil. (Original recipe used rosemary, but we're not the most fond of it...so really, any herbs could be substituted.) Marinate only for 4-6 hours so the meat doesn't become mealy. I usually marinate in a zip-lock bag with the air removed, which keeps it nicely bathed in the juices.

Before cooking, I let the meat rest on the counter for about an hour at room temperature. If it's a sirloin around an inch thick (around 2 LB...yes, we split it Wink ), I usually give it four or five minutes per side, and it's a perfect medium all the way through.

- Rudy -
06-08-2017, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2017 04:01 PM by i4Nice.)
Old thread, I realize, but I felt the need to add my 2 cents...

I BELIEVE steaks need to be grilled, over charcoal preferrably, once they've arrived at room temperature, after mellowing in a shallow puddle of Tamari sauce and dusted liberally with Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic seasoning; ~ 2 hrs.

HOT grill = 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes flip & turn, 2 minutes flip, 2 minutes flip & turn. Top with herbed butter. Restaurants will attempt to recruit you!!!!
06-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Sounds delish! I think I'll give it a try.