Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quick Cook Potatos
04-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Rainbow Quick Cook Potatos
The kitchen is my refuge, my family avoids the place like the plague unless they're grazing! If I'm in the kitchen it's a sure thing no one else will wander in knowing they will be put to work. I of course take advantage of the solitude. I have a bookshelf in my kitchen with cookbooks hiding a couple of novels I have cleverly stashed behind them. You're asking what this has too do with potatos? Well if you only have a couple of hours to yourself and want to slip some reading in speeding up a couple of recipes is a good way to ensure you'll get some reading time. As grilling weather makes it way into CNY I like to have some dishes prepped for sides so I can concentrate on the actual grilling itself. One trick I use to "speed" things up is the Microwave. Take 5-6 "Baking Potatos" (not those cheap #5 white potatos Russetts work best" pierce them with a fork and nuke 'em for 6 - 7 minutes (1200 watts) more if the wattage is lower. The potatos will still be firm and extremely hot let them cool a couple of minutes and while they're still warm peel and cut them into fork sized chunks place them in the freezer for 5 or 6 minutes, my lack of a blast cooler has me using the freezer for that purpose! Read a couple of chapters and the potatoes will be ready to add all the acoutremounts for potato salad or homemade gnocchi. This saves about an hour compared to the traditional boil and peel method. The only possible issue you may encounter is not letting the potatos cool enough to add mayo or eggs and flour depending on what you're preparing. I hope this gives you some extra reading time, oh don't forget to stash a couple of books in your kitchen in a place no one will look usually the cupboard where the cleaning supplies are! I'll bet no one in your house will look in there for anything!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2011, 09:56 AM
RE: Quick Cook Potatos
LOL! True!
If your family does know where the cleaning supplies are, they won't tell you that they have that knowledge either. LOL!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
04-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes! We use this quick cook potato method quite a bit. Sometimes, we'll nuke them then throw on the grill to crisp up the skins. Great topic!

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Oh yeah the zap and grill method! excellent!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"