Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bubba's May 2011 update.
05-02-2011, 09:55 PM
RE: Bubba's May 2011 update.
(05-02-2011 07:22 AM)boomer Wrote:  I believe - IMHO - that those lyrics to "Faithless" are amongst the most beautiful lyrics NEP has written, because they explain to me how he feels deep inside, and thats a wonderful thing.

I agree, Boomer. It really is a window into his soul.

(05-02-2011 08:42 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  I've experienced some bashing and talking about church signs doesn't quite qualify.

Yep, I'm with ya there. Been bashed myself... Huge difference between real bashing and questioning.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2011, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2011 04:52 PM by State of Grace.)
I always enjoy reading Bubba's updates and living vicariously through his travels and motorcycling. He usually provides some good brain candy to chew on too.

On the subject of Neil talking about his feelings about religion and spirituality; I have no problem with him questioning faith and the universe in general. To question is good! In my books you should never stop questioning things in life - it makes the ride around this blue marble more interesting.

To sum it up "I have my own moral compass to steer by..." I'm good with that! Great lyric!

**EDIT - Exact lyric is... "I've got my own moral compass to steer by." *** (My apologies for messing up the lyric.)

FAITH is fear and doubt standing in HOPE. Angel
05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
My humble opinion, for what it's worth, is that there are both people who have faith and those who don't who are afraid to have their beliefs questioned. By others or themselves! It becomes so important to keep themselves from questioning their own position that they have to defend it - sometimes to the point of violence. Again, IMHO, this is not hate for those for feel/think differently (though they might think that's what it is) but it is fear of discovering that what they think or believe may not be sound. And that's unacceptable.

So NEP is not afraid to state what he believes. Good on 'im. But it does not surprise this admirer that doing so would stir some things up a bit. Who doesn't want their heros to believe what they believe? It brings up some personal conflicts. And we all know how well people deal with those...

I am not a religious person, but I believe utterly in society's need for religion and faith.

And I love the church signs!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Without opening a can of very large worms here - (and we will shut it down if it gets out of hand)

Dawn, my bride (affectionately nicknamed "Cujo") frets over me. She knows I struggle with all of it, and that I am tired of friends and family trying to "help me find answers".
I broke down once a few years ago and spoke at length with a local medicine man (what I call priests, rabbi and clergy in general).
He was really quite sharp. A former CEO from Texas that felt the need to trade it all in and spread the word, so to speak.
About twenty minutes into the conversation, he asked if I were an ancient history major. I replied, "No - I just prefer to learn from mistakes that were made thousands of years ago... not last week."
As expected, it did no real good to subject myself to this sort of scrutiny, but it was an enjoyable conversation that inevitably led us back to where we started; no real answers other than, "That's where faith comes in."
Ya - I know.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
05-03-2011, 04:24 PM
If youre gonna open up some worms - lets go fishin'!!

To tell the truth - I have so much baggage from foster homes, adoption failures, being taken from my only world at 7, tossed around...blah blah blah, that even professionals take one look at my record and step two paces back. There is simply too much that I went thru, and after speaking with about every head shrink, minister, priest, MD, heck even next door neighbors, we all have pretty much come to the conclusion that there ain't nothing you can say or do to me to make me better. I have finally given up that same prsuit of trying to help "find answers" or "lets make him better" - dont change me - I like the voices in my head! I guess I am not all that surprised you would have the same kinds of things, and its always best just to have that shoulder to lean on, to cry a bit, to ask those questions there are no answers to. I still have demons that haunt me, but I pretty much made my peace with them for now.

Words to live by: "I have my OWN moral compass"...even if I am a bit off the beaten path.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
05-03-2011, 04:34 PM
We play a song called "Faithless One", written by our main song writer and lead guitarist, this was written back in 1982 (ish), our main song writer has no belief, reinforced by the loss of his Mum Christmas Day....We had a bassist who was a strong believer, who had great difficulty with this track, and actually would not record it, to the eventual he leaving the band while we were recording......and us having to get another bassist.

I don`t know where I am going with this, both had strong opposing views, one was more inclined to impose his view on others, but at the end of the day it is a good song and why not play it?

I am not sure I have answered the argument in my head by this post - I have many sympathies with both views, and listened to both the song writer and the bassist in their promotion and denial of the track, to me it is a song, which is nice to play, I can`t think of anything more just now, but if I do will get back to you....

Living the dream over here in Blighty
05-03-2011, 04:41 PM
"I have my OWN moral compass".

Probably, the issue that I have with that phrase is that if you have two people who follow the same moral compass, based on a mutual belief, , and then one decides to follow their own moral compass, and and the values of that compass change regularly...............that can lead to some very interesting circumstances

A party without cake is really just a meeting
05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
(05-03-2011 04:41 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  "I have my OWN moral compass".

Probably, the issue that I have with that phrase is that if you have two people who follow the same moral compass, based on a mutual belief, , and then one decides to follow their own moral compass, and and the values of that compass change regularly...............that can lead to some very interesting circumstances

True and good points Bageleth... definitely no right or wrong answers or thoughts on this subject matter. How can any of us have the exact same moral compass? It all comes down to the morals, values and ethics a person has been exposed to and then the individuals choice of what they absorb, take in and live by.

I've had great examples and poor examples in my life and I've tried my best to calibrate my compass based on those real life experiences.

FAITH is fear and doubt standing in HOPE. Angel
05-03-2011, 05:38 PM
(05-03-2011 04:11 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  Without opening a can of very large worms here - (and we will shut it down if it gets out of hand)

Dawn, my bride (affectionately nicknamed "Cujo") frets over me. She knows I struggle with all of it, and that I am tired of friends and family trying to "help me find answers".
I broke down once a few years ago and spoke at length with a local medicine man (what I call priests, rabbi and clergy in general).
He was really quite sharp. A former CEO from Texas that felt the need to trade it all in and spread the word, so to speak.
About twenty minutes into the conversation, he asked if I were an ancient history major. I replied, "No - I just prefer to learn from mistakes that were made thousands of years ago... not last week."
As expected, it did no real good to subject myself to this sort of scrutiny, but it was an enjoyable conversation that inevitably led us back to where we started; no real answers other than, "That's where faith comes in."
Ya - I know.

It sounds like you have a similar thing going with your wife as I do with my husband (and yes, I know he'll be able to read this). I'm a strong believer and he isn't. He was when we married but he isn't now. It's not a topic we discuss much at home Smile

A party without cake is really just a meeting
05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Mrs B and I always say there are two things we never really "discussed" before marriage, and one of those was faith. Its not that we don't have it, we just come from VERY different perspectives. She was raised in a faith I just can't wrap my head around. I on the other hand was raised by two Catholics who saw fit to not raise me as one, but with similar moral beliefs. No we dont argue, but rather its just hard for each of us to relate to the others upbringing and belief code. Her mother loved watching televangelists on tv...I always ran the other way when I saw them. I don't ever like to tell anyone they need to right their faith, but thats about as wrong as wrong could be. No one person ever has the right to tell another about the wrongness of a faith. For me - I decided a long time ago my "moral compass" as it were was already uploaded by those same real life experiences that SoG spoke of - it was up to me to utilize those to my advantage.

I must say - I am pleasantly surprised at this discussion - great job keeping it real and simple.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"