Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bubba's May 2011 update.
05-03-2011, 07:09 PM
RE: Bubba's May 2011 update.
Just trying to keep it from getting "hot", then it's not longer a discussion.
We really don't talk about our differences much in the faith area because it can easily get heated because we know where we each stand. What does work is respect for the other's beliefs, but also respect for each other as people and focus on working together to make a marriage with this kind of a big difference work.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2011, 07:21 PM
RE: Bubba's May 2011 update.
(05-03-2011 06:42 PM)boomer Wrote:  I must say - I am pleasantly surprised at this discussion - great job keeping it real and simple.

Absolutely! I think that Bubba would be pleased to see that he initiated a conversation on this topic that has stayed on it's own magnetic North.

I've been learning about different religions/faith for many, many years now. I have found that, beneath all the names, rites, dogma, etc. that are the veneer of a religion, they all basically serve the same function; to provide love in this life and hope for the next. All religions also have their own version of The Golden Rule. We really do have more in common than we have differences. Unfortunately, part of human nature is a need to be "right." Dais touched on this above. Some people are so invested in their specific set of beliefs, that any threat to them shakes their self-image too much. I feel that's ineffably sad, to have such a low opinion of one's own ability to question and learn and adjust, that one must attack others simply on the basis of what they have come to accept as their set of beliefs. Or non-beliefs.

Since a lyric has been brought into this (and appropriately so), I'd like to quote another one: How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is, after all, so poorly lit. It's not just enough to have one's own moral compass, but having one's own light is important, too. Granted, you can't necessarily illuminate someone else's way but lighting your own should be enough.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply