Poll: How much do you tip?
I'm a big tipper, usually 25% or more
I tip about 20% pretty much consistently.
Usually it's between 15% and 20%.
Something around 10%
I very seldom, if ever, tip.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How much do you usually tip?
05-12-2011, 01:14 PM
RE: How much do you usually tip?
(05-12-2011 10:15 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  She may have been on the phone, but for what reason? Does she have kids..one of them sick/hurt? Or was she just gabbing with a friend? All depends on the situation.

Usually (having been in customer service myself for 17 years) an employee
should follow this course of action; it's the professional thing to do,
and they'll probably get a bigger tip too ! :-)
"Hey Telephone (name here)"
"Ok, thanks -- can you make sure table such and such gets their
salsa, while I take this?"
It not the first time I'd had to go remind a waiter or go fetch what I
have asked for.

That being said, so many people act like they deserve a tip just
because they are doing their job; but tipping is for a service industry.
The better the service, the better the tip; we all know that.
I've had waiters tend to me right and left, and others just left after
the food is dropped off. Then return with the tab and ask how everything
was (well, I woulda liked to get a little more water while I was eating,
but now that my food is cold,,, I guess I'll just take it home)
Like I've said before, here in California, most food servers are getting a
wage (at least minimum) in addition to their tips.
If we continue to tip inspite of subpar service, what message are we
sending those in the industry? (Don't give me good service,you'll still get
your tip !)
At what point is it ok not to tip?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I very much base my tips on service. Poor service rates 5-15% and a complaint to the manager (and I actually turn down any freebies or discounts because I've already taken it out of the tip). Average service is 15% to the penny. Anything above is 20% to 100% or more, depending on the bill, usually. For a smaller bills, it's more. Tipped a lady $7 on a $12 bill the other day. She was not friendly or talkative, but darn, could she wait a table. Go girl!
05-20-2011, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2011 07:54 AM by fordprefect42.)
If she can't remember to get a co-worker to run something for her (in this case the salsa) then she's not really paying attention.

I waited tables and/or bartended for many years. For me, my standard tip is 20%. However, I base my tip on one thing. How well the server keeps my water glass full. The bar can get behind and create long wait times on drinks. Not the servers fault. The kitchen is the same way. Generally, not the servers fault.

However, the ONE thing that i know my server has control over is my water glass. If I run out of water and have to wait for more, the tip goes down quickly and drastically.

Also, i'll gladly give more than 20% to a server who goes out of their way to correct mistakes made by other parts of the restaurant. Like extra chips and salsa if the kitchen is running behind. stuff like that...
and i repeat myself when i get distracted from my post by a co-worker and then finish it without bothering to read what i've already typed. DOH!

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
— Charles Bukowski
05-20-2011, 09:40 AM
(05-20-2011 07:52 AM)fordprefect42 Wrote:  If she can't remember to get a co-worker to run something for her (in this case the salsa) then she's not really paying attention.

I waited tables and/or bartended for many years. For me, my standard tip is 20%. However, I base my tip on one thing. How well the server keeps my water glass full. The bar can get behind and create long wait times on drinks. Not the servers fault. The kitchen is the same way. Generally, not the servers fault.

However, the ONE thing that i know my server has control over is my water glass. If I run out of water and have to wait for more, the tip goes down quickly and drastically.

Also, i'll gladly give more than 20% to a server who goes out of their way to correct mistakes made by other parts of the restaurant. Like extra chips and salsa if the kitchen is running behind. stuff like that...
and i repeat myself when i get distracted from my post by a co-worker and then finish it without bothering to read what i've already typed. DOH!

The Water Glass.
Yes -- that's it !
I usually keep myself well hydrated with this one of a kind element, and
when the well runs dry at the restuarant -- it definitely affects the tip.
Maybe I should file this one under pet peaves also Idea
05-20-2011, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2011 01:52 PM by NWoBHM.)
Iremember being in the US with a great friend and work colleague - and we were tipping like crazy - $20 a pop when we had only had two drinks worth about $10. The waitresses and waiters must have thought we were mad Brits - but we were spending the bosses money - sort of robbing from the rich to give to the poor! That felt good!

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I've become more generous as I get older.

"Give and it will be given back to you, pressed down, shaken and..." I forget the rest.

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."
"Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup."
"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."
"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been.
"You've been all over and it's been all over you."
09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I tend to start at 15% and then go up or down depending on the service.

Semi-related topic.
Keep the Change: A Clueless Tipper's Quest to Become the Guru of Gratuity by Steve Dublanica goes on sale in paperback today. Did you know in America we spend $66 billion dollars in tips each year? I didn't.

Hoobah-doobah
09-02-2011, 11:45 AM
For the most part it's a demanding job with few rewards so if the service is adequate I'll leave 20%. If the server is a pro no mistakes, quick courteous service of good food, 25%. If I am met with a top flight server who anticipates my needs, asks and calls me by name, will only present me with an excellent meal and beverage over the course of an evening, I'll put $50 in their pocket and my thanks and future patronage with friends.

Doesn't happen often but when it does, it's one of life's little pleasures I enjoy very much.

Oh Bleat!
09-04-2011, 02:49 PM
I leave 20% for service on average. But you have your exceptions that are outstanding and I will leave more than 20%. I have left tips even when the food was just bad. But they did a great job.