Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best Breakfast Joint Ever!
05-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Best Breakfast Joint Ever!
If you are ever in the Finger Lakes Region of Upstate NY (for those of you riders out there - amazing scenic roadways, vineyards, lakes, hills, etc.) there is this tiny little diner at the very Southern end of Canandaigua Lake called Poor Richards. (State Rt 21, Woodville) When I say tiny, I mean tiny! Not a greasy-spoon though. Just homemade everything, generous portions, and friendly service. The Breakfast Burrito is astounding and the Homemade French Toast w/fresh seasonal fruit is scrumptious! Very reasonably priced too...best kept secret in the Finger Lakes!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2011, 08:32 AM
RE: Best Breakfast Joint Ever!
(05-24-2011 07:13 AM)debskis Wrote:  ...and the Homemade French Toast w/fresh seasonal fruit is scrumptious!

Oh my, that sounds delicious! Be still, my tum. Wink

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
05-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Here in Central Smellinois, we have three joints that are frequented by three very discerning palates. My significant whatever is a traveling musician, his brother is a chef who has worked at every type of restaurant and my Dad is a truck driver. Those are some men who know their breakfast. Anyway, they often eat together (and take my son, if I'm lucky) and they go to the Country Kitchen in East Peoria (better known as the Crunchy Kitchen after a night of debauchery), the Cobbler Corner in Pekin (better known as the Gobbler Corner after a nigh...you get the point), and The Hungry Moose in Peoria (can't improve that one).

All three are tiny and cramped, cheap, and have about the best pancakes or other delights made by people who likely add a certain "patina" to the food they prepare (you're really better off not thinking about those people holed up and sweating over your omelette), but man is it good food.
05-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Debski I often visit the region. Thanks for the suggestion.

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-25-2011, 07:42 AM
(05-24-2011 08:47 PM)vitruvian man Wrote:  Debski I often visit the region. Thanks for the suggestion.

Same here... Looking forward to making another trek up that way and checking your find out! Smile Breakfast rules... Thanks for sharing Debski

Peace & Cheers ~
Thoughtful Eyes
05-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Best breakfast joint Ever?

Sweet Jamaican pipe dreams, Golden Acapulco nights.......

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Tower Cafe in Sacramento. It's one of the few survivors of "Tower Corner" after the music/book/movie chain went belly up. Hands down THE best French toast I've ever had - I'm still "chasing the dragon" trying to replicate it at home. Crispy on the outside, almost a custard on the inside.

When I'm in S.F I usually end up grabbing an iced latte (no sweeteners) and a plain croissant on the Wharf or in that little java joint by the Powell BART station (under the shopping center) but if I can, I slip over to the Cannery - there's a little crepe cart there...one of those with fresh fruit? YUM.

Meow.