Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
Looking for an awesome meat loaf recipe
05-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Looking for an awesome meat loaf recipe
Who's got any favourite meat loaf recipes? I've found a few online but would rather get a recipe from someone who's actually tried and done it. Care to share?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2011, 11:22 AM
RE: Looking for an awesome meat loaf recipe
Go to the Kraft Foods website & search for "Easy Pleasing Meatloaf". I make it with ground turkey and it is a huge hit with my family and others I have made it for!! My mother in-law makes a more "gourmet" version that is stuffed with spinach...yummy but def more complicated. Lmk if you are interested tho & I can get that recipe for you!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
05-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks, debskis. I'd be interested with the spinach one; I was looking for something with more, uh. "zip".

Which, of course, begs the question: Can/should meat loaf have zip?

Anyway, debskis, I'd be much obliged if you could find the spinach one. Many thanks.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
05-29-2011, 06:01 PM
This was my Mom's recipe - straight off the McCormick meatloaf spice packet. It's pretty outstanding:

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce (I also add a tablespoon of tomato paste to intensify flavor)
1 packet McCormick® Meat Loaf Seasoning Mix (I use whatever is on sale)
2 pounds ground beef
2 slices white bread, crumbled
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt butter in small skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened. Cool slightly.
2. Mix ground beef, crumbled bread, cooked onion, milk, eggs, season packet. Shape into a loaf in foil-lined 13x9-inch baking pan.
3. Bake 60 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

You can use bread crumbs, but I prefer larger chunks of bread, and I usually use a bit more than stated. I think this is the best part.
07-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I knew there would be a meatloaf thread! Smile

I recently tried a bacon-cheeseburger meatloaf which went over really well with the Hubby and girl. Pretty much the same recipe as you usually do for the meatloaf part. Then: line the bottom of the loaf pan with half the meat mixture, making a bit of a trough. In that trough, place a mixture of shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon (set a little bit aside for later). Then cover with the remaining meat. Make sure that you press down along the sides well to prevent the filling from leaking out during baking. Bake as usual, then sprinkle the rest of the cheese/bacon on the top and melt in the oven for a couple of minutes. I serve it with garlic mashed potatoes, a veggie side and a salad. Yum!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
(07-07-2011 04:23 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  I knew there would be a meatloaf thread! Smile

I recently tried a bacon-cheeseburger meatloaf which went over really well with the Hubby and girl.<snip>

O M G that sounds FANTASTIC!!! Must try very soon!!

07-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Got this YEARS ago from (dare I say it) the Mike Douglas show-scary on so many levels!

Vincent Price's Meatloaf
Mix together
2 lbs. ground beef, 1 cup bread crumbs, 2 chopped onions, 2 slightly beaten eggs, 1 can condensed vegetable soup, and 2 TBSP Angostura bitters. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

Vincent Price said to serve it with Pink Tonics:
Mix vodka or gin with tonic, ice, a twist of lime, and 2 or 3 dashes of Angostura bitters Rolleyes

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
07-07-2011, 07:26 PM
I've discovered that the recipe off the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce bottle is purty dang tasty.....

I modify it slightly to accommodate my hubby's rule of a 2-to-1 ratio of ground beef/ground pork. It just kinda adds an extra juicy/textural dimension to the mix. So I end up doing 2lbs beef/1lb pork and increase other ingredient measurements accordingly.

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
08-01-2011, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2011 01:01 PM by BrianW.)
I agree with Scythe, gotta have bacon. It's my Mom's secret ingredient for any meatloaf (except veggie) recipe. Lay two or three or four! strips over the top and let them bake into your 'loaf.

Hoobah-doobah
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user