Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Watermelon Salad
06-21-2011, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2011 07:55 AM by Dee.)
Watermelon Salad
This has become one of our family’s favorite summer salads. It’s adapted from a Paula Deen recipe (one of her few without butter). The only change I made was to use balsamic vinegar rather than red wine vinegar. When I first heard the recipe I thought it was such and odd combination of ingredients so I just had to try it! It’s so cool and refreshing on a hot summer day and solves the problem of what to do with all that watermelon. I’ve made it on several occasions and have yet to find anyone who doesn’t love it! I’ve since heard of different variations to it and would love to hear any from the forum if anyone should have one.

Ingredients

* ½ seedless watermelon, cubed
* 1 medium sweet onion, sliced into rings
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* salt & pepper
* 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
* 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
* 6 whole mint sprigs

Directions

In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt & pepper and whisk until salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, a few drizzles at a time. Add in the chopped mint, taste, and adjust seasonings.
In a large bowl, combine the melon, onion, and feta. Pour the dressing over the melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed. Garnish with mint sprigs.

Edit to add pic - mmmmm

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2011, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2011 04:09 PM by Mufasa.)
RE: Watermelon Salad
Cujo (Dawn, my bride) makes this in the Summer as well. Very refreshing.

and I love me some Paula... being a Savannah boy and all.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
06-22-2011, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 07:28 PM by HardwareGrl.)
I'm always intrigued by using "sweet" ingredence in a "savory" manor.
Thanks for the recipe Dee, I have to give that a try!
I'm always intrigued by using "sweet" ingredence in a "savory" manor.
Thanks for the recipe Dee, I have to give that a try!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
05-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Thank you for this recipe, Dee. I see that you posted it last year, but I needed a salad for this Memorial Day and your recipe caught my eye. It was a really big hit with my family. I ended up buying the watermelon at Costco so even after doubling the recipe, I only used about 1/4 of the humongous melon. I can't stop thinking big! Tongue Now, I have to be creative with the leftover watermelon. So, if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them Smile

"Hope is what remains to be seen."- Bubba
05-29-2012, 03:06 PM
(05-29-2012 01:57 PM)valhalla66 Wrote:  Thank you for this recipe, Dee. I see that you posted it last year, but I needed a salad for this Memorial Day and your recipe caught my eye. It was a really big hit with my family. I ended up buying the watermelon at Costco so even after doubling the recipe, I only used about 1/4 of the humongous melon. I can't stop thinking big! Tongue Now, I have to be creative with the leftover watermelon. So, if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them Smile

Cut off the rind, pull the seeds, and puree it in your blender with ice, adding vodka for adult slushies.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
(05-29-2012 03:06 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-29-2012 01:57 PM)valhalla66 Wrote:  Thank you for this recipe, Dee. I see that you posted it last year, but I needed a salad for this Memorial Day and your recipe caught my eye. It was a really big hit with my family. I ended up buying the watermelon at Costco so even after doubling the recipe, I only used about 1/4 of the humongous melon. I can't stop thinking big! Tongue Now, I have to be creative with the leftover watermelon. So, if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them Smile

Cut off the rind, pull the seeds, and puree it in your blender with ice, adding vodka for adult slushies.

Nice! 5 hours and counting, my Ninja will awake to perform your latest concoction. Thanks for the brilliant Idea , Knit (can I call you Knit?)

05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
(05-31-2012 01:14 PM)valhalla66 Wrote:  Thanks for the brilliant Idea , Knit (can I call you Knit?)

Just so long as you don't call me late for dinner, or don't put enough vodka in my watermelon slushie.

Cool

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
06-21-2012, 11:27 AM
(05-31-2012 04:59 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-31-2012 01:14 PM)valhalla66 Wrote:  Thanks for the brilliant Idea , Knit (can I call you Knit?)

Just so long as you don't call me late for dinner, or don't put enough vodka in my watermelon slushie.

Cool
Wink Speaking of vodka, I have been creating different foo-foo drinks with all the latest vodka infusions out there. Try this one: marshmallow vodka, club soda, and raspberry syrup (on the rocks). It tastes like cotton candy!