Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you dehydrate?
06-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Do you dehydrate?
Whilst thumbing through a raw food cookbook, I came upon many recipes that required a dehydrator. Having never heard of a food dehydrator, I started researching the bejeezus out of the subject and am happy I did. In essence, the theory among raw food aficionados is that cooking at high temperature, with any method, robs food of valuable enzymes and nutrients. Dehydrators could be thought of as low power ovens, barely (if ever) reaching above 160 F to "cook" the food or, more accurately, dehydrate it.

Well, I recently made the plunge and purchased one of these from Amazon:

[Image: 41KNN0N17BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

My greatest success to date has been "fruit leather", more commonly know as "fruit rollups". Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 3 cups unsweetened applesauce

Directions:

- Blend until you have the consistency of a smoothie
- Pour mixture on dehydrator's fruit trays following directions for thickness (my dehydrator says approximately 1/4" to 3/8" of an inch)
- Evenly spread on tray
- Dehydrate on 135 F for 8-12 hours
- Check after 8 hours and make sure there's no liquid
- Remove, let cool, cut, and roll into rollups

Delicious! Do you dehydrate? Have any recipes you'd like to share?

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2011, 08:23 AM
RE: Do you dehydrate?
I have a dehydrator, because when I was able to have a container garden at my last apartment, I would use it to dehydrate herbs. I also used to make dried apple rings.
I haven't used it in a long time.

06-29-2011, 09:04 AM
(06-29-2011 07:38 AM)dheafey Wrote:  Whilst thumbing through a raw food cookbook, I came upon many recipes that required a dehydrator. Having never heard of a food dehydrator, I started researching the bejeezus out of the subject and am happy I did. In essence, the theory among raw food aficionados is that cooking at high temperature, with any method, robs food of valuable enzymes and nutrients. Dehydrators could be thought of as low power ovens, barely (if ever) reaching above 160 F to "cook" the food or, more accurately, dehydrate it.

Although I agree with the bolded part above. I don't cook my apple sauce or my strawberries.

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
06-29-2011, 09:35 AM
When my girls were little I did lots of fruit leather and dried fruit( apples, bananas...) and like Nettie I dry my herbs with it and use it to make venison jerky(I think my recipe is under the venison thread).

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
06-29-2011, 12:38 PM
I have also used it to rise bread and doughs Smile A little cheating but it works well!
06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Do I dehydrate?
Why, yes, yes I do!
I had a dehydrator like the kind you bought dheafey, and then I upgraded to this....

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/9-Tra...r-prod.htm

You can do all sorts of things with it (make crackers, proof bread, do yogurt) as well as dehydrate food, its a very versitile tool.

If you'd like a good recipe book for food dehydration, I recomend "Making and Using Dried Foods" by Phyllis Hobson.
It documents how to properly prepare specific foods for drying, as well as options for drying in a dehydrator, the oven, or air drying. It also includes recipes for cooking with dehydrated foods.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Only when I drink too much.

bada bomp - *PING*

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
06-29-2011, 04:40 PM
(06-29-2011 03:17 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Do I dehydrate?
Why, yes, yes I do!
I had a dehydrator like the kind you bought dheafey, and then I upgraded to this....

Hey HardwareGrl! I'll be very interested in your thoughts on the difference between the 2. I think I'm going to be pretty serious about this as I plan on starting a raised vegetable garden next year. Might as well do it right!!

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
06-29-2011, 05:03 PM
cymbal crash for Mufster please.

I dehydrate when I mow the lawn and crack open a beer!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-29-2011, 07:02 PM
(06-29-2011 03:17 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Do I dehydrate?
Why, yes, yes I do!

You can do all sorts of things with it (make crackers, proof bread, do yogurt) as well as dehydrate food, its a very versitile tool.

If you'd like a good recipe book for food dehydration, I recomend "Making and Using Dried Foods" by Phyllis Hobson.
It documents how to properly prepare specific foods for drying, as well as options for drying in a dehydrator, the oven, or air drying. It also includes recipes for cooking with dehydrated foods.

I have the same brand, but mine has a fewer shelves. I love it, but haven't had the time to use it in years. I have to get this school nonsense out of the way and then I will start having fun with it again. The boys have been nagging me to make jerky with it.