Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you dehydrate?
06-29-2011, 07:11 PM
RE: Do you dehydrate?
I have a dehydrator, but havent really used it much. I wanted to make jerky myself for those hunting/fishing/motorcycling adventures I love to go out on, but I never could perfect the recipe. I hate spending 8 bucks on those packets of jerky pieces that I could easily make at home for far less. I have used mine for drying out habanero peppers, or other hot peppers for use in my wifes chili. We used to make bags and bags of banana chips for trips too, but the kids are older now....and they want Olive Garden!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, the apple rings thing got old too. Nice, healthy, dull, boring apple rings.
But it was fun to do with my class a time or two.

Find all posts by this user
06-29-2011, 08:04 PM
I have an old one too, from Grandma, that she used for leathers and herbs. She also used it for tomatoes. I need to get it out again. I'm going to look for that book next time I visit Powell's.

MMMMMM, jerky!

"I will quietly resist."
06-29-2011, 09:14 PM
(06-29-2011 07:11 PM)boomer Wrote:  I have a dehydrator, but havent really used it much. I wanted to make jerky myself for those hunting/fishing/motorcycling adventures I love to go out on, but I never could perfect the recipe. I hate spending 8 bucks on those packets of jerky pieces that I could easily make at home for far less. I have used mine for drying out habanero peppers, or other hot peppers for use in my wifes chili. We used to make bags and bags of banana chips for trips too, but the kids are older now....and they want Olive Garden!

All right Boomer, you asked for it…
Courtesy of “Making and Using Dried Foods” by Phyllis Hobson

Beef Jerky
2 lb very lean beef (chuck or round)
¼ c Worcestershire sauce
¼ c soy sauce
1 T tomato sauce
1T white vinegar
1t sugar
¼ t chopped dried garlic
¼ t chopped dried onion
1t salt

Trim off all traces of fat from meat. Freeze until firm and solid enough to slice easily. Cut across the grain into very thin, 1/8” slices, then cut the slices into strips 1 to 1 ½ “ wide.
Combine remaining ingredients in a blender or a shaker jar. Pour over meat strips that have been arranged in rows in a shallow baking pan. Refrigerate overnight, and then drain strips.

Dehydrator: Cover trays with strips without overlapping. Dry for 4 hours at 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Turn strips, rotate trays. Dry for another 6 to 8 hours. Well dried jerky should be dark and fibrous looking and brittle enough to splinter when bent in half.

Oven: Lay strips of meat in rows over trays, being careful not to overlap strips. Dry at 140 degrees F (60 degrees C) until strips will splinter on the edges when bent in half, about 18 to 24 hours.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
06-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Hmmm...well, that explains part of my problem. I never really had any sort of marinade for the meat, and my strips would come out so hard you'd chip a tooth on them. Thanks HG!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-30-2011, 06:34 PM
(06-29-2011 04:40 PM)dheafey Wrote:  
(06-29-2011 03:17 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Do I dehydrate?
Why, yes, yes I do!
I had a dehydrator like the kind you bought dheafey, and then I upgraded to this....

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/9-Tra...r-prod.htm

Hey HardwareGrl! I'll be very interested in your thoughts on the difference between the 2. I think I'm going to be pretty serious about this as I plan on starting a raised vegetable garden next year. Might as well do it right!!

All righty, why do I like the Excalibur Food dehydrator, and is it worth the money?
I bought the 9 tray model, so it has the equivalent of 15 sq ft of drying space, which I love, since if you are drying food it’s usually because you have a glut of something and need to get it processed NOW!
The heating elements and the fan are on the back of the unit and that keeps the warm air circulating more evenly. You still have to rotate trays, but not near as much as you do if the heat and fan is on the bottom, which is where it is on most food dehydrators.
You can set the temperature (another thing most dehydrators don’t let you do) as well as a timer so you can set the time and it will shut the power off automatically.
It has a 10 year warranty!
I have had my Excalibur for almost a year now, and I have had no problems. It’s easy to use, easy to clean, and I am very pleased!

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
07-14-2011, 09:57 PM
(06-29-2011 07:02 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  
(06-29-2011 03:17 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Do I dehydrate?
Why, yes, yes I do!
I had a dehydrator like the kind you bought dheafey, and then I upgraded to this....

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/9-Tra...r-prod.htm

You can do all sorts of things with it (make crackers, proof bread, do yogurt) as well as dehydrate food, its a very versitile tool.

If you'd like a good recipe book for food dehydration, I recomend "Making and Using Dried Foods" by Phyllis Hobson.
It documents how to properly prepare specific foods for drying, as well as options for drying in a dehydrator, the oven, or air drying. It also includes recipes for cooking with dehydrated foods.

I have the same brand, but mine has a fewer shelves. I love it, but haven't had the time to use it in years. I have to get this school nonsense out of the way and then I will start having fun with it again. The boys have been nagging me to make jerky with it.

RN, how old is your Excalibur?
Have you had any problems with it?
Mine is whirring away with a load of tomatoes in it right now, the house smells like a pizza factory...Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
07-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow...It has to be 15 years old (or older). I haven't had any problems with it. My mom has one (Excalibur) quite a bit older (I am thinking 30 years...maybe) and it still purrs away. She uses it often to proof homemade bread (yup she still makes homemade bread from scratch and kneads it with her arthritic hands...she is 80). I think my hubby replaced the motor on hers years ago, but no problems since.

I am still waiting for our produce to come in. I haven't dried tomatoes in years. I loved adding them to all kinds of recipes.