Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
REAL Barbecue Sauce
06-30-2011, 04:36 PM
REAL Barbecue Sauce
It’s the season for Barbecue sauce!

This recipe is what I refer to as “Long Hand”, that is you start from the very beginning with fresh tomatoes.
This is a great way to use up a tomato glut, and the results are so pleasing, a jar of this is a very welcome present at Christmastime!

Barbecue Sauce

24 Large Tomatoes (approx 8 lbs)
3 stalks celery (approx 1 ½ c)
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium Red Bell Peppers
1t whole black peppercorns
1c firmly packed brown sugar
1c vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1T dry mustard
1T paprika
1T salt
1t hot pepper sauce
1/8t cayenne pepper (adjust for taste)
Liquid Smoke (If your taste runs in that direction) I use about 2T.

Blanch the tomatoes by plunging them into boiling water (watch for the skins to loosen, then remove and peel in cold water. (Be careful, the tomatoes hold the heat for a while!)
Put the tomatoes, celery, onions and bell peppers in a large saucepan. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
Press through a fine sieve or a food mill (I just use a stick blender) and return to the pan. Continue cooking until the mixture is reduced by about one half, about 45 minutes. Stir often and be careful not to burn.
Tie the peppercorns in a cheesecloth bag; add with remaining ingredients and cook slowly until the mixture is the consistency of catsup, about 1½ hours. As the mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent burning. Remove the spice bag.
Pour into hot jars leaving ¼” headspace. Adjust caps. Process in a boiling water bath canner for 20 minutes.
Yield 4 pints.
Trust me, its well worth the effort!Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2011, 09:30 AM
RE: REAL Barbecue Sauce
This looks glorious! Daughter #2 is a Barbeque Sauce fanatic and would love this. She's going off to college in the fall, so the canning portion of the recipe is particularly timely for me. Thanks HG!

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Hardwaregrl, how do I get on your xmas list? Smile

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
07-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I was just thing the same thing, OHR Smile

"I will quietly resist."
07-02-2011, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2011 08:31 AM by HardwareGrl.)
(07-01-2011 10:09 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  Hardwaregrl, how do I get on your xmas list? Smile

Just drop me an addy OHR...Big Grin
(07-01-2011 12:40 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  I was just thing the same thing, OHR Smile

As for you Entre, if you want to come to the house and help make a batch, well, I guess you'll get to take home part of the results, won't 'cha? Tongue

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
07-02-2011, 02:05 PM
(07-02-2011 08:29 AM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  
(07-01-2011 10:09 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  Hardwaregrl, how do I get on your xmas list? Smile

Just drop me an addy OHR...Big Grin
(07-01-2011 12:40 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  I was just thing the same thing, OHR Smile

As for you Entre, if you want to come to the house and help make a batch, well, I guess you'll get to take home part of the results, won't 'cha? Tongue

Now there's an offer I can't refuse Big Grin

"I will quietly resist."
07-08-2011, 05:37 AM
Does the variety of the tomato's matter for this? I grow Romas for sauce, they're a little different, meatier I think. Just curious.

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2011, 08:31 AM
(07-08-2011 05:37 AM)Layllah Wrote:  Does the variety of the tomato's matter for this? I grow Romas for sauce, they're a little different, meatier I think. Just curious.

In the past I have used all different varieties of tomatoes to make this bbq sauce, including part or all romas.
My suggestion is pay a little closer attention during the reduction process, since you are definitely right about romas being meatier.

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
(07-08-2011 08:31 AM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  since you are definitely right about romas being meatier.

Mmmmmm, meaty romas...Tongue

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
09-01-2015, 08:42 PM
I am a long time member, paltry contributor. Life and all that you know. I'm back, and this sounds amazing as do other things I've seen today! Thanks all for sharing, and you're all fantastic!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user