Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Tanks, Planes, Boats, Military Stuff
08-19-2012, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2012 02:55 PM by smoker guy.)
RE: Tanks, Planes, Boats, Military Stuff
(08-19-2012 10:40 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:The Missus and I want to get to England one day, and I for one(her tooTongue) want to visit the Battle of Britain Museum, besides all the wonderful castles and buildings

Don`t forget the English Pubs - warm beer, and Fish `n` Chips. Oh and all the Curry Houses - Probably the best curries outside of India I would guess.

The Pubs are a definite, never had curry. I'll give it a try tho. I also want to make a trip to the Isle of Mann, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, etc. I especially want to get to Shropshire...family origins start there. Smile
(08-19-2012 10:45 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  Yeah. Proper beer and malt vinegar with those f&c! Heart

mmmmmmmm

I keep a bottle of Malt Vinegar in the house when we have f&c. When we do...I make sure I have a sixer of my favorite English/ Scottish Ales, room temp. of course.Wink

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2012, 03:11 PM
(08-19-2012 02:52 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  
(08-19-2012 10:45 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  Yeah. Proper beer and malt vinegar with those f&c! Heart

mmmmmmmm

I keep a bottle of Malt Vinegar in the house when we have f&c. When we do...I make sure I have a sixer of my favorite English/ Scottish Ales, room temp. of course.Wink

I could hardly ever find any when I lived in suburban Virginia, unless I went to a specialty shop and paid a fortune for Crosse and Blackwell's tiny dispenser. Friend of mine at the British Embassy in Washington said they shipped theirs in by large plastic jugs from home. Big Grin

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
08-19-2012, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2012 03:26 PM by NWoBHM.)
Quote:The Pubs are a definite, never had curry. I'll give it a try tho. I also want to make a trip to the Isle of Mann, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, etc. I especially want to get to Shropshire...family origins start there.

Shropshire is just up the road from here - maybe 40 miles or so - a lot of early Industrial Revolution occured there for the UK - Iron Bridge at Telford, Coalbrookdale and Abraham Darby etc, network of Canals etc.

Curry is a must especially if you are in Shropshire, you will be so very close to Birmingham (Brum) and can sample a Balti.

Quote:Ales, room temp. of course

Good man. I remember hearing some guys from the US once in a pub saying how they had, "Tried some of that warm bitter beer".

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Where's RN when you need her, eh Rey????

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Privately owned F104 Starfighter here in Oz. I hear him torching the fence over on the other side of the airport once in a while.
He must have refitted the avionics package recently, because lately he has been doing late evening flights... over my house.
This area is non-commercial beacon... they don't fly here. But this little demon seems to take great pleasure in pissing Dublin off and scaring the crap outta me... wait... that's backwards.
Gotta admit though, that little bugger will natural born haul arse!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...Aw&dur=361

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
09-18-2012, 03:56 AM
Quote:Privately owned F104 Starfighter here in Oz

Was it the Starfighter that killed more Luftwaffe Pilots in peace time than any other jet? Or am I thinking of another one which was all engine and tiny wings?

09-18-2012, 04:02 AM
Quote: Wish you could come NWo!

Me too mate - Maybe when we are touring the US we could get the tour Heli to drop in. No seriously, I would love to have a look at one of these events - in the UK it tends to be a lot earlier (like civil war etc, and loads of blokes with big floppy hats or round helmets and pitchforks etc)

Quote:Rockford Peaches All American Girls Baseball League demonstrations on Sunday

Reminds me of that Stranglers track - "walking on the beaches, looking at the peaches" - I guess, as ever, the Brits have 2 meanings for the same word. Which reminds me of the Led Zep lyric, "you know sometimes words have two meanings" (Stairway to Heaven).

09-18-2012, 08:09 AM
(09-17-2012 07:22 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  Where's RN when you need her, eh Rey????

You have a good eye there Gunga, you didn't miss the end, yes I needed RN, and how!

NWo,

The Rockford Peaches was a WWII era local baseball team, all the boys were off at war, so instead they made baseball teams with girls. Some girls here have recreated the team for the reenactment events, since it fits in with the era, and yes some of them are pretty cute in their baseball uniforms with skirt. So they really are Peaches, just like the ones on the beaches. Angel

The Rockford Peaches baseball team was also the subject of the movie, "A League of Their Own", that had Madonna in it. The scenes in the movie where they are riding the silver streamliner train were all shot at our local train museum too.

The baseball games they play at our events actually don't draw that much of a crowd, which is a shame, because the girls work really hard at it. I don't really understand it either, considering America's intense infatuation with sports, you would think they would be all over that. But, the crowds tends to flock to the battles, tanks, and gunfights instead.
09-18-2012, 04:20 PM
(09-18-2012 08:09 AM)Rey Wrote:  
(09-17-2012 07:22 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  Where's RN when you need her, eh Rey????

You have a good eye there Gunga, you didn't miss the end, yes I needed RN, and how!

Awwww c'mon Rey...it's was just a flesh wound!

(09-18-2012 08:09 AM)Rey Wrote:  The Rockford Peaches baseball team was also the subject of the movie, "A League of Their Own", that had Madonna in it. The scenes in the movie where they are riding the silver streamliner train were all shot at our local train museum too.

All of the stadium scenes were filmed in our fair city! I went to university with the guy (yes, GUY) who was Geena Davis' stunt double. That's him performing when Davis' character tags home plate by doing the splits.

As for "Madge?" Pfffft. There's no love lost between her and folks 'round these parts. She attempted to slam our town by comparing it to Prague, claiming, "it was awful." Funny, I always heard Prague was quite lovely...

Tom Hanks, however, is a stand-up guy. After the press got wind of her snippy remark, he personally thanked the people of our city during an acceptance speech for an award earned by the film, for our hospitality while he was filming here.

Take THAT, Material Girl... Dodgy

(Anyhoo, carry on w/yer TPBMS chatter...)

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
09-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Really good programme on last night about Douglas Bader - WW2 Hurricane and later Spitfire pilot who had lost his legs in the 30`s from crashing a bi-plane. Apparently, because he had no legs, (well I think one was amputated above the knee, and one below), he could endure more G Force as there was literally no legs for the blood to be forced into from the G and thus he could out fly the enemy. He was also a keen fan of the "Big Wing", (fighter groups assembled at a rally point to then attack the enemy, as opposed to the nearest squadron scrambling to meet them) tactics, as again, because if his missing legs he could not sprint and get airborne quickly enough, and did not want to miss the action.
He later became Wing Commander of three squadrons near Tangmere and took the fight to Germany after the Battle of Britain, where he was later shot down, over Germany, and only managed to bail out by leaving one of his "legs" in the Spitfire.
The Germans (who apparently were not able to offer him any prosphetic legs themselves), agreed to a British plane parachuting some replacement legs to him in Germany.
On receipt of his replacement legs, he attempted to escape and was captured and sent to Colditz.
Asked in a television interview, did he feel he had been a key contributor to winning the Battle of Britain, he said, no, he was just playing a part in it, as were ambulance drivers, air raid wardens, farmers, etc, and ALL of these people had secured the victory.