Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upcoming Smoking Projects
07-10-2011, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 06:22 PM by smoker guy.)
Tongue Upcoming Smoking Projects
Gonna be smoking some beef brisket in a couple of weeks. I`ve been getting a little antsy in the pantsy to smoke some form of meat so I convinced the Missuss to let me loose on my smoker. What are others here planning on smoking?Smile

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2011, 07:05 PM
RE: Upcoming Smoking Projects
At the lake house this weekend we enjoyed smoked "Bama Chicken," simply chicken seasoned with salt/pepper, smoked and mopped w/a mayo & vinegar sauce (I think I've heard it called Alabama white BBQ sauce).

We do Boston butt and brisket with our fave dry rub ("A little Butt Rub makes everything better").

We use a charcoal/wood smoker at the lake, but at home we have an electric smoker. The hubby came up with a Peking turkey recipe using black tea & star anise for the smoke flavor in the electric smoker, turned out purty dang good....

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
07-11-2011, 08:05 AM
I would like to catch and smoke my own salmon one day. That would be nice.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2011, 10:57 PM
(07-10-2011 06:20 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  Gonna be smoking some beef brisket in a couple of weeks. I`ve been getting a little antsy in the pantsy to smoke some form of meat so I convinced the Missuss to let me loose on my smoker. What are others here planning on smoking?Smile

I will be buying my first smoker next month. This will be my first time using it. What would you suggest to smoke first? I'm thinking ribs?
07-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Phillip,
Try a Fresh Ham! I'm not sure of there availability. In case you've never heard of this it's the Ham that hasn't been smoked. Just the cut of meat they call ham. I roast them sometimes and then make homemade baked beans and barbequed pulled pork out of the leftovers. There pretty big so invite some friends! If you need a homemade baked bean recipe let me know! Good luck
PS. Walmart sells smoking wood chips pretty cheap!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-21-2011, 11:02 AM
(07-21-2011 06:48 AM)Layllah Wrote:  Phillip,
Try a Fresh Ham! I'm not sure of there availability. In case you've never heard of this it's the Ham that hasn't been smoked. Just the cut of meat they call ham. I roast them sometimes and then make homemade baked beans and barbequed pulled pork out of the leftovers. There pretty big so invite some friends! If you need a homemade baked bean recipe let me know! Good luck
PS. Walmart sells smoking wood chips pretty cheap!

Fresh Ham -How long do you think it needs to smoke for? I love smoke ham and I never thought of smoking ham. But the pulled pork sounds intriguing also. What kind of wood chips do you use? I have always gone with hickory. Thanks!
07-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Phillip, we have used mesquite, maple, apple, cherry and a friend of ours gave us some pear wood. The length of time kinda will depend on the size of the piece of meat, the temp you will smoke it at along with the weather conditions(if it's windy, or cold). You may want to brine the meat before hand too. Just some suggestions.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
07-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Yes, Phillip. There are lists of smoking times on many food sites that can tell you the amount of time it shall take. There are also some great brine recipes here in the brining section. I use the brine that Bubba used for his roasted Turkey on the Bar and Grill main area.

When I smoke ribs or chicken hind quarters, I also spray the meat with apple juice every half hr. or so. This not only adds some good flavor the sugar in the apple juice helps to coat the grills to make them non-stick.Big Grin

You'll really enjoy your smoker. Listen to the advice here, these people know their stuff.Smile

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
07-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Hubby found an London Broil in the freezer. Looks like there shall be some smoking done tomorrow! Wink

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
07-23-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm sorry but just a couple more of questions. If you use Apple juice (for examble) in your brine what type of wood would you use? Would you use apple or something else? For a first timer, should I start small like ribs, chicken or go the big piece of meat like a boston butt? Just to get the hang of it. Right now the weather is not factor it's hot. Thank you for the advice and any other advice you may have. I know I am going to need it.