Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upcoming Smoking Projects
07-23-2011, 11:01 AM
RE: Upcoming Smoking Projects
The wood choice is completely up to your taste. For example, today i'm smoking a brisket, and using mesquite wood chips in the smoker. I used apple juice in the brine, and am also spraying the meat every half hr. or so.

Also put a pan of water under the meat rack near the fire box. This helps to keep the meat moist.

I started with ribs, very fun and fairly easy to do. I smoke them for 2 hrs directly on the rack, then 2 hrs. wrapped in foil, then the final hr. directly on the rack and I put BBQ sauce on in the last 15 minutes or so.

Hope this helps...keep asking questions, help will be there...and have fun smoking. Smile

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2011, 04:32 PM
(07-23-2011 11:01 AM)smoker guy Wrote:  The wood choice is completely up to your taste. For example, today i'm smoking a brisket, and using mesquite wood chips in the smoker. I used apple juice in the brine, and am also spraying the meat every half hr. or so.

Also put a pan of water under the meat rack near the fire box. This helps to keep the meat moist.

I started with ribs, very fun and fairly easy to do. I smoke them for 2 hrs directly on the rack, then 2 hrs. wrapped in foil, then the final hr. directly on the rack and I put BBQ sauce on in the last 15 minutes or so.

Hope this helps...keep asking questions, help will be there...and have fun smoking. Smile

Ribs it will be. That was my first choice. I needed confirmation. I wrote down your directions. Thanks for the help.
07-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Oh, not a problem at all. I hope it is fun for you. Big Grin

11-20-2011, 10:11 PM
So kicking in a slightly older thread, I have an upcoming smoking project.
I'm planning on doing a brisket for thanksgiving, my girlfriends brother-in-law is doing the turkey but we thought we need more.
I'm planning on using a spice rub over it, using apple wood for the smoke, and probably coffee, cider or some combination of such in the water pan.
The question is, I've heard different opinoins on brining the meat before putting it in to cook. Anyone around here have any ideas, and if so, any grecipes for the brine? I have one for turkey using sage, garlic and such. I'm considering usiing something like that, but no sage, using coriander seed (that will also be on the rub) .peppercorns and garlic. I have read that you don't want top brine brisket too much - I'm thinking it'll be in about 18 hours before hitting the smoker.
11-30-2011, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2011 10:03 PM by JrGtr42.)
Ok, so it's a week or so later, but I thought I'd update and let the place know how everything came out.
I had the meat in brine for about 18 hours. I used a cup of sugar and a cup of Kosher salt, a tablespoon or coriander, a Tbsp of peppercorn, a half dozen or so smashed cloves of garlic and a sliced onion to make 2 gallons of brine.
Lit the fire about 9:30AM, meat on about 45 mins later.
I had pulled it out aroud 9, and smeared it with homemade mustard, then more coriander seed, cracked pepper and minced garlic.
Used applewood chunks in the fire.
It turned out delicious, except the meat was overdone, though not dried out. Not sure exactly how it happenned, but I have about a half dozen thermometers, and not a one of them reads the same as any of the others. I was mostly using one that I know reads about 20 degrees high in liquid, and looking back, maybe it reads closer to "real" in solid meat. next time I do this (and there WILL be a next time,) I'll used this thermometer in the meat and call it accurate.
12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Sounds delish Jr! A couple years ago my hubby saw a show (prolly either Alton or Raichlen) where they made a smoked Peking Duck. Hubby thought, "Hmmmmm, why couldn't that be done w/a turkey?" Since he was in search of sumpin' to add to our Thanksgiving food repertoire (we have a big potluck dinner/party the night before and always make deep-fried turkey and ham), he gave it a whirl and it turned out awesome!

While I'm not sure of all the ingredients, I think mainly he just rubbed the bird (it weighed about 15lbs) with Chinese Five Spice, then prepped a mop sauce of Hoisin and rice wine vinegar (again, I'm sure there were other ingredients involved, but that's the gist of it). We put it in the smoker at 7:30am and I mopped it every two hours. He pulled out the bird around 5pm.

Here's a pic of this year's bird, about half way through the process (a bit fuzzy, but you get the idea):

I'm always amazed at how it is so flavorful and juicy!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Whilst at our local nursery/BBQ supply store pibking up charcoal and rub for our X-Mas Turkey Breast(gonna smoke it this yearWink) I found this wonderful thermometer and had to take a pic of it and share it here. Enjoy.

12-18-2011, 10:47 AM
(12-18-2011 10:37 AM)smoker guy Wrote:  Whilst at our local nursery/BBQ supply store pibking up charcoal and rub for our X-Mas Turkey Breast(gonna smoke it this yearWink) I found this wonderful thermometer and had to take a pic of it and share it here. Enjoy.

Love it!!!
12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
(12-18-2011 10:47 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  
(12-18-2011 10:37 AM)smoker guy Wrote:  Whilst at our local nursery/BBQ supply store pibking up charcoal and rub for our X-Mas Turkey Breast(gonna smoke it this yearWink) I found this wonderful thermometer and had to take a pic of it and share it here. Enjoy.

Love it!!!
The little sister has one.

She is bbq crazy, but has been smoking salmon lately.

12-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Didn't notice this when I bought the charcoal...here's the rub I picked up. Is it possible to find 2 different items like this in the same place at the same time?Big Grin