Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upcoming Smoking Projects
12-18-2011, 07:24 PM
RE: Upcoming Smoking Projects
ok, we have to have those two items to send to Bubba. That's just too funny!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Haha! Good eye SG!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
12-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Ha! good one SG, but I see that there are puppy treats just behind the rub. Hmmmm are your trying to invent a new line of snacks for dogs too. LOL

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-18-2011, 09:15 PM
(12-18-2011 08:40 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Ha! good one SG, but I see that there are puppy treats just behind the rub. Hmmmm are your trying to invent a new line of snacks for dogs too. LOL

Hmmm...now that's an interesting idea. Bubba's Bubba-Q'ed puppy treats. I can see it now flavors like Cajun Canine, Smoked Puppy, wait...that sounds a little wrong. Let me keep thinking. Tongue

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
12-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Smoked puppy treats? Is that like deep fried feline friskers? Hot hamster chunks?

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Just got off the phone with Brother-dear.
I have been informed he is digging his smoker out of the back of his garage, and we will be doing a Smoked Prime Rib for Christmas dinner this year!
Come on Sunday!!! I can't wait!!!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
12-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Yummy HWG!
and I love your signature!

12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
HWG, please send details (and pics if available ) on how the prime rib turns out. I wouldn't think you would want to brine but definitely a good seasoning rub and say, oak, hickory or maple for wood?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-26-2011, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2011 01:46 PM by smoker guy.)
Well, here's a before and after pic of my Innaugural smoked turkey breast I made for the Missus and I. It turned out pretty good. I used Bubba's BB-Q Rub(pictured previouslyWink), pecan wood chips for the smoke, and liberally sprayed with apple juice. The after pic shows it in a roaster...I put it in that after smoking so it could rest for a bit before being devouredBig Grin.

Oh yes, I brined it for 11 hrs. in the brine that is on the recipe section in the main portion of Bubba's site.

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
12-26-2011, 07:48 PM
(12-19-2011 09:44 PM)2Beers Wrote:  HWG, please send details (and pics if available ) on how the prime rib turns out. I wouldn't think you would want to brine but definitely a good seasoning rub and say, oak, hickory or maple for wood?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

All right, as long as you asked sooooo nicely...Big Grin

The saga started on Thursday, when I preped the Prime Rib.
I followed the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid!Blush) since this is such a fabulous cut of meat.
I cut little slits on the fat cap side of the 20 pounder (yes, 20 lbs!) and inserted slivers of garlic and rosemary leaves into the slits.
For the rub I took additional rosemary, smoked salt, fresh ground pepper, and some Montreal Steak seasoning and applied that all over.
Friday I took the Prime Rib to my Brother's house and he stuck it in his smoker. Friday and Saturday he smoked the Prime Rib (approx 16 hours).
Sunday I retrieved it from him and brought it back to my house and finished the beauty on my barbeque (about 3 hours).
I only have a picture from before I put it on the grill....

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb...=1&theater

By the time It came off the grill I had the hords there waiting to eat and didn't have a chance to snap any more pictures.
It was amazing! The smoke flavor was delicate, not overpowering at all, just a nice accent. And I really like the flavor combination of pepper, rosemary and garlic, mmmmm!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur