Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upcoming Smoking Projects
12-26-2011, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2011 10:03 PM by debskis.)
RE: Upcoming Smoking Projects
Hello to all the smoker chefs! My bro in-law asked for a smoker for Christmas, and since I thoroughly enjoy visiting people who know how to use these alternative apparatai, we got one for him! Wondered whether anyone here would be willing to share some wisdom for a beginner on the do's and don'ts, easy recipes to start with, etc. He is already a great cook in the kitchen and on the grill, so I'm thinking he'll adapt fairly readily, but with such a wealth of expertise on the BnG I just had to ask! Thanks!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2011, 02:32 PM
(12-26-2011 10:00 PM)debskis Wrote:  Hello to all the smoker chefs! My bro in-law asked for a smoker for Christmas, and since I thoroughly enjoy visiting people who know how to use these alternative apparatai, we got one for him! Wondered whether anyone here would be willing to share some wisdom for a beginner on the do's and don'ts, easy recipes to start with, etc. He is already a great cook in the kitchen and on the grill, so I'm thinking he'll adapt fairly readily, but with such a wealth of expertise on the BnG I just had to ask! Thanks!

I am also new at using a smoker. Matter of fact I am smoking a Boston Butt right now. Smoker Guy gave me a lot of advice which help me quite a bit. Check the previous posts. I did buy a smoking book "Smoking with Myron Mixon". It has some easy recipes.
12-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Hello Debskis,
the smoker I have is barrel shaped and I loaded some river gravel in the bottom below the grates. This absorbs heat and can make the heat more even. Also found a cast iron bowl for water under the grates. It is time consuming work but don't be afraid. Its fun and the results are worth it.
Also I have smoked stuff and finished it in the oven to ensure proper doneness.
12-29-2011, 12:15 AM
I got the new Woodchuck smoker model NYSPL 221.05 to smoke my meat!

Don't talk smack about Total!!
01-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Hello NBC, Do we have a link or picture of this smoker?

Fir Na Tine
01-03-2012, 12:18 AM
I Traded it to some dude on eBay for a calendar. Sorry.

01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Dang and I had a taste for smoked woodchuck.

You put enough bbq sauce on anything and it will taste good.

Fir Na Tine
01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
(01-03-2012 06:45 PM)Fireman Wrote:  Dang and I had a taste for smoked woodchuck.

You put enough bbq sauce on anything and it will taste good.

Your only humanWink

01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Thought you smoker pros would appreciate the summary of how my BIL's 1st attempt at using the smoker we got him for Christmas went!

(Excerpt from email sent to another smoker-friend)
so I spent 5 hard earned hours directly managing the heat on the sucker, basic model and no dampers to help fan the fire; was hard to add more charcoal through the door. The door itself broke; the latch heated up and fell off. I had to jerry-rig the thing with a screw-driver through a hole in the handle to hold it to the door. I also used that sucker as a "poker" to shove charcoal around. Then I had to invent a "blower" to heat up the coals on that 38 degree day. I used one of those Boomsticks connected to a long funnel your suppose to use for your car engine to get some air down there.
End result, 7 hrs later, I felt like I had smoked an entire pack of cigarettes; but the meat was awesome (coffee-based rub with mesquite and apple wood smoke)

I then returned the thing to Lowes, and thanks to the generous investment of my bro- and sis-in-law, I am awaiting the above delivery in the mail this friday : a master-built 7-in-1 charcoal smoker and grill, which will allow me to charcoal smoke and then finish it off with propane - or deep fry a turkey. Nice.

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
01-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Debskis, that is too funny.