Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bread Machines
07-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Bread Machines
I'm looking to start making my own bread. I'm trying to get away from wheat and gluten, and most the gluten-free breads out there are made mainly from rice, and I'm not crazy about those. So I figured I could make my own with other grains like buckwheat, quinoa, etc.

Anyone out there make their own bread with a bread machine? If so, which machine are you using?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2011, 12:39 PM
RE: Bread Machines
Hi Beer Me!

I've had a Toastmaster bread machine for several years now. It's a one blade 1.5 lb. capacity machine. I absolutely love the convenience of a bread machine - dump the ingredients in, walk away and wait for the smell of freshly baked bread to fill the house. Sadly my machine seems to be baking unevenly so it looks like I'm in the market for a new one. I'll probably get one that has two blades as I had problems with dry ingredients gathering in the corners. Not that big deal of a deal - I would just scrape them into the dough ball, but I think a two blade machine might be more effective at mixing.

I've recently been using my machine to make pizza dough - very handy!
07-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I have a Breadman machine that can make up to a 2.0 lb loaf. It is actually a replacement one. The first one I had, my sister got for me as a gift. I used it frequently and the heating element finally went on it so I replaced it with the same brand. I have made all kinds of dough in it when I don't have time to do it by hand. Not to mention when I want a loaf of fresh bread without all the fuss.
07-16-2011, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2011 12:17 AM by Beer Me!.)
(07-15-2011 03:02 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  I have a Breadman machine that can make up to a 2.0 lb loaf. It is actually a replacement one. The first one I had, my sister got for me as a gift. I used it frequently and the heating element finally went on it so I replaced it with the same brand. I have made all kinds of dough in it when I don't have time to do it by hand. Not to mention when I want a loaf of fresh bread without all the fuss.

I've been eying the Breadman because they have a gluten free cycle, and they get a lot of positive reviews. The fact that you had one and replaced it with the same one says a lot.

The Breadman makes vertical loaves, right? Did that take any getting used to, seeing as store-bought breads are all horizontal?
07-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Actually the loaves mine makes are more horizontal Smile However, when you make a 2 lb loaf they grow rather tall.
07-16-2011, 07:08 PM
I was looking into a Breadman as a replacement as well. I saw one model that had collapsible paddles/blades, thus no holes in the bottom of the bread.
08-30-2011, 07:27 PM
I only used mine for mixing/kneading and the first rise and I still wore the darn thing out so I'm in the market for a new one...