Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you freeze that?
07-14-2011, 09:36 PM
How do you freeze that?
Hey, you know what?

I bought a flat of Blueberries today and am gonna freeze them
Hmm? Whatcha’ say?

How do I freeze berries and not have them turn into a solid fruit brick?

Aww, that’s easy. K’, wash the berries and pat them dry. I said pat now, not squish!
Spread them out on a cookie sheet and try to keep the berries from touching each other.
You might take another try at making sure the berries are dry at this point too.
Put the cookie sheet in the freezer.
When the berries freeze, take the cookie sheet out of the freezer and bag up the berries in freezer bags.
Immediately put the berries back in the freezer, otherwise you defeat the purpose.

Waa Laa*! Pretty frozen berries! Much easier to work with than fruit bricks, I must say!

Which leads me to the question-
Does anybody else have any good tips on how to freeze things?
Produce? Meat? Horseshoe Crabs? Anything?

*Also known as Volia’. You spell it your way, I’ll spell it mine.Tongue

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2011, 09:42 PM
RE: How do you freeze that?
Great tip!! I have been doing that for years and it works well.
07-15-2011, 03:19 AM
I freeze herbs. Some are easy to freeze -- like oregano and rosemary -- but others (esp. basil) not so much. So I macerate the basil and freeze it in an ice cube tray. When it's solid, I place the cubes in a plastic freezer bag. And I can have "fresh" basil in January! Big Grin

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
07-15-2011, 05:09 AM
I freeze my face off when snowblowing the driveway during these wonderful New England winters. Does that count?

Sorry, it was there. Had to go for it.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
07-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Also, in the past, when I have made large batches of soup (or mac & cheese) to freeze, and I didn't have enough containters, I used the Ziploc freezer bags. After the soup has cooled, pour it into those bags, seal them with minimal air, and then lay them flat on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer. Once they're frozen, you can either stack them on a shelf or store them on their side (like books on a bookshelf).

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the basil cube trick! I grow my own herbs for recipes and medicinal use and have been drying my own for winter. Believe it or not when I dry them they taste better than when I buy them dried! I'm not really sure why this is or if it's a figment of my overactive imagination?

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
07-15-2011, 02:52 PM
(07-15-2011 12:52 PM)Layllah Wrote:  Thanks for the basil cube trick! I grow my own herbs for recipes and medicinal use and have been drying my own for winter. Believe it or not when I dry them they taste better than when I buy them dried! I'm not really sure why this is or if it's a figment of my overactive imagination?

I believe their better when you dry them yourself!
The jars in the store won't tell you when the herbs were dried to begin with, and the essential oils that make the herbs taste so good will evaporate/disapate eventually over time.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
07-15-2011, 05:14 PM
(07-15-2011 02:52 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  
(07-15-2011 12:52 PM)Layllah Wrote:  Thanks for the basil cube trick! I grow my own herbs for recipes and medicinal use and have been drying my own for winter. Believe it or not when I dry them they taste better than when I buy them dried! I'm not really sure why this is or if it's a figment of my overactive imagination?

I believe their better when you dry them yourself!
The jars in the store won't tell you when the herbs were dried to begin with, and the essential oils that make the herbs taste so good will evaporate/disapate eventually over time.

Absolutely! I have a drying rack for mine (and HUGE amounts of oregano - if you need some, ask!) and it's always got a bunch of something hanging from it. The store-bought stuff just can't beat home grown and dried.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
07-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Since we've gone from freezing to drying herbs here, Smile, have you ever grown and dried stevia? It's the best sweetener on earth!
07-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Do Tell! How would one grow Stevia? I would love to try it. Will it grow in the eratic climate of Central NY? I actually have an old attic way I use lights in the winter for my herbs. How do I get the seeds?

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"