Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you freeze that?
07-18-2011, 06:10 AM
RE: How do you freeze that?
Do Tell! How would one grow Stevia? I would love to try it. Will it grow in the eratic climate of Central NY? I actually have an old attic way I use lights in the winter for my herbs. How do I get the seeds?

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2011, 12:34 PM
I just buy the stevia plants from local nurseries.
Find all posts by this user
07-21-2011, 06:38 AM
(07-18-2011 12:34 PM)Patty Wrote:  I just buy the stevia plants from local nurseries.
Thank You!

10-07-2011, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2011 11:09 PM by working.man.)
I'd like to add a couple of points to the blueberry freezing process, if I may. After washing/drying, place the berries on a tray in the refigerator for a few hours to bring them closer to freezing. While this is going on, place another cookie sheet or cake pan in the freezer. Aluminum is preferred, due to it's rapid ability to dissipate heat.

(Think of cooking pots- are good ones ever aluminum? No, they cool too quickly, which helps us in our efforts here!)

Place the cooled, dry berries on the frozen sheet/pan, and return to the freezer. The faster the juice in the berries freeze, the smaller the crystals are. Smaller crystals results in less cell wall damage. Try it and let me know if you see a difference. Check WikiPedia or Google for "flash freezing" to see more details why these extra steps help so much.

I'm happy with the results and will continue to take the "little bit extra".

MMMmmmmm Blueberries.......
10-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Don't you wish you had some liquid nitrogen around? That's Flash freezing! LOL!!

10-13-2011, 10:55 PM
(10-13-2011 08:06 AM)Layllah Wrote:  Don't you wish you had some liquid nitrogen around? That's Flash freezing! LOL!!

Oh, hell yeah!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
07-15-2012, 09:27 PM
(07-15-2011 12:52 PM)Layllah Wrote:  Thanks for the basil cube trick! I grow my own herbs for recipes and medicinal use and have been drying my own for winter. Believe it or not when I dry them they taste better than when I buy them dried! I'm not really sure why this is or if it's a figment of my overactive imagination?

Layllah, it is not a figment of your imagination... There are 2 main reasons for this. The first being the way commercially available herbs are dried is in a big giant dehydrator with lots of air circulation to accelarate the process. And sometimes this air is heated lightly. So, of course like anything else within this department (herbs and spices), by treating it in such a way, you will lose a lot of the aromatics and essential oils. Secondly, and a very important question you should always ask yourself, the products you buy, ''How long has it been harvested and where does it come from?''. So if you can taste it and if you can somewhat determine where it comes from, you will be able to make a good judgement on ''to buy or not to buy''. Once you start exploring these markets, you find out things that are mind blowing.