Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Harvest time anyone?
07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
RE: Harvest time anyone?
(07-28-2011 11:26 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  
(07-28-2011 07:29 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  So far, strawberries, basil, and one Italian squash. ........7 kinds of tomato, 7 kinds of pumpkin, green onion, garlic, 3 kinds of basil, 3 kinds of lettuce, collard greens, dill, 7 kinds of peppers/chilis, parsley, cilantro, leeks, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, 4 kinds of squash, sugar snap peas, snow peas, Indian corn, cantaloupe, green beans, lima beans, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, raspberries, shallots, asparagus, and gourds. Whew!

.....and a partridge in a pear tree!!

The hubby tried collards a couple yrs ago, he's a fan but we were totally overrun by them...

I love brussel sprouts! We have a recipe for a sauteed version, kinda time-consuming but well worth the effort!

Well......we have 4 types of pears-sans partridge-5 types of apple, an almond, 2 peaches, plum, and 3 types of cherry. They're all babies and won't produce until next year-hopefully!
Yes, it takes time, but hey, I'm retired! Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Harvest time 2012, big boy tomato slices topped with fresh jalepenos baked in cream cheese...oucha wah wah!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
08-18-2012, 08:10 AM
We(my sister and I) are just starting to get ripe tomatoes...and boy there isn't anything like a tomato right off the vine!
We've had quite a few cucumbers now, a couple of eggplants, a couple of yellow zucchini, lots of beans, Swiss chard, lettuce and herbs!
We're still awaiting the peppers and potatoes(little sister's idea on the taters).
Not bad for what little sister terms our "practice" garden. It's the first year that I've had one, although she has usually had a container garden of some sort.
I bought my house a year ago today. Smile

08-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Our tomatoes this year are not doing so well, just yet. We got a cherry tomato plant that's been doing fair. (great flavour, just ... not many at a time!) The ones we normally have good results with (Celebrity and Rutgers) just haven't been doing much at all. One tomato, I *think* it's the Celebrity, but it's just not ripening. Or growing any bigger. And our Cherokee Purple... it's finally got some buds, so we are hopeful...
The Sweet Basil and Pineapple Sage are growing well. (Basil loves lots of pruning, so that's been much yummy for cooking!) And my sweetie's hot stuff, all his peppers, doing very nicely. He got some Golden Cayenne as well as some Thai Chili (tiny but POWERFUL!) to go along with his usual trio. (Cayenne, Habanero and JalapeƱo)

It's been a weird couple of years for our garden goodies...
We may have to do a soil test, to help next year's tomatoes...

For Your Dreams to Become Your Reality, Do Not Think "If", Believe in "When".
***I Am A Work In Progress...*** Heart
08-18-2012, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2012 10:33 AM by LiveToCook.)
(07-28-2011 07:29 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  So far, strawberries, basil, and one Italian squash. The rest of the garden looks great, but it will be a bit before I get more goodies.
I'm growing 7 kinds of tomato, 7 kinds of pumpkin, green onion, garlic, 3 kinds of basil, 3 kinds of lettuce, collard greens, dill, 7 kinds of peppers/chilis, parsley, cilantro, leeks, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, 4 kinds of squash, sugar snap peas, snow peas, Indian corn, cantaloupe, green beans, lima beans, carrots, radishes, cucumbers, raspberries, shallots, asparagus, and gourds. Whew!

Wow, I will be over shorthly... What a selection, beautiful choice and incomparable quality when you do this yourself.
(08-18-2012 06:53 AM)Markus Awreallyus Wrote:  Harvest time 2012, big boy tomato slices topped with fresh jalepenos baked in cream cheese...oucha wah wah!

Miammm, fresh jalapenos... What I like to do with these is to stuff them... Always with an old cheddar or similar, then add minced crab or shrimp, or lobster. Then a light batter and fry them. I do not grow them, a good friend is a pepper maniac, he has a huge garden plus a fairly big hot house. All dedicated to peppers and some small fruits in the spring... And me, for an excuse for not having a garden... ''Being in the city'', should be more like, ''I plant it and for sure it dies''... I am envious of all that can actually have successful gardens!!! Blush
08-18-2012, 07:27 PM
In addition to green beans, this year I planted some scarlet beans. Don't remember what they're called, but they really are a very dark scarlet color-nearly black.
I picked the 1st ones today and steamed them with dinner. Imagine my surprise when I lifted the lid on the steamer and they were all GREEN!
OMG! I cooked MAGIC beans! I hope nothing bad happens....... Confused

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
08-18-2012, 08:34 PM
They will make you ageless! Smile

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
08-19-2012, 07:48 AM
I love harvest time, nothing like chomping on fresh picked garden veggies. LTC, Mrs MA has breaded up about 2 dozen poppers already this year. Our pepper plants have gone wild yielding more then we care to eat. Canned jalepeno pepper relish on the way! Had fresh corn roast last week and a dozen or two more ears to complement our fall like weather.
A funny thing, this year we forgot to plant pumpkins but our burn pile from last year sprouted a lone pumpkin plant that will be ready in time for Halloween.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
08-19-2012, 08:17 PM
(08-19-2012 07:48 AM)Markus Awreallyus Wrote:  I love harvest time, nothing like chomping on fresh picked garden veggies. LTC, Mrs MA has breaded up about 2 dozen poppers already this year. Our pepper plants have gone wild yielding more then we care to eat. Canned jalepeno pepper relish on the way! Had fresh corn roast last week and a dozen or two more ears to complement our fall like weather.
A funny thing, this year we forgot to plant pumpkins but our burn pile from last year sprouted a lone pumpkin plant that will be ready in time for Halloween.
Markus, I cannot disagree with you on the chomping part, it is a joy!!
As for the breaded poppers, this is a major treat for me. Had some for dinner a couple of hours ago, my buddy the pepper farmer brought them in and they were beautiful in flavour, small but ''HOT''... They were Scotch Bonnet. I think that there will be some fire in the morning Big Grin. He also mentioned that the harvest for him is phenomenal this year... mainly because of the warm temperatures. You probably had some of this hot temp. yourself. Have a great week.
08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Yesterday, I made a giant pot of chili from peppers and tomatoes out of my garden. Yummy Smile

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher