Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lunch anyone?
12-16-2011, 05:57 PM
RE: Lunch anyone?
Had an amazing Philly Cheesesteak w/mushrooms, onions, & green peppers...Mac's Philly Steaks in Downtown Canandaigua, NY is the bomb!!!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2011, 08:08 AM
(12-16-2011 05:57 PM)debskis Wrote:  Had an amazing Philly Cheesesteak w/mushrooms, onions, & green peppers...Mac's Philly Steaks in Downtown Canandaigua, NY is the bomb!!!

I live in Camillus NY is it worth the trip?

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I had a really different type of lunch today. Beans on Toast.

This is something I have been wanting to try. It is an English meal, something commonly eaten for breakfast in the UK. It is supposed to be served with this certain kind of baked beans by Heinz. You would think you could just get them at the grocery store, but no, this is a product from the UK. It is really hard to find in the U.S.

I went to this new fancy grocery store last weekend. It was pretty nice and upscale, with wine tasting, different coffees to try, and expensive chocolates to sample. There was nice classical music piped throughout the store. I was excited to find that they carried these English beans. On the blue label it says "Made in England, Hayes Middlesex, Product of the United Kingdom" so they were imported and everything.

So I had to have some English Beans on Toast. And it was not bad at all, in fact I kind of liked it. They are a lot less sweet than American baked beans, but still pretty good once you get used to it. I think they have their place, but so do Bush's, which are a favorite of mine.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
03-01-2012, 07:26 PM
English beans "are" prepared a bit differently than American style beans. They dont always have to add all sorts of sugars and spices to bring out the flavor of a good legume. This is a bit like grilled cheese sandwiches. Just a poor mans dish thats cheap on the wallet but filling. Its not bad, but Im not too sure I'd order twice.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
I had the Beans on Toast again for supper tonight, and I really like them now, I think I am hooked! But you are right Boomer about them being the poor mans dish, of course I had to look up the history of the meal.

Apparently the tin of Heinz beans with tomato sauce originally came with a piece of pork in it, a la Pork 'n' Beans. In the 1940's during the war, meat was heavily rationed in the UK so the pork part was dropped. All meat in general was hard to come by so the Beans on Toast became an inexpensive wartime meal that filled you up, and still offered some protein. After the war the pork was never added back again, and the product has pretty much stayed the same to this day and became a traditional meal.

I did try making it with Bush's baked beans too, but that was a disaster. Way too sweet for on toast, plus the Bush's has a lot more juice in it and my toast became a soggy mess. Nope, you can't mess with the tradition, you have to use these Heinz beans, which seem just perfect on toast.

So if it is such a poor man's meal, what is with that fancy grocery store I described in my other post? Well, I think they just thought themselves something special and carried some international offerings. I don't think they will let us back in there because we ate all their free chocolate samples, drank the free coffee, enjoyed the classical music, and then just bought a couple cheap cans of beans. The doorman tried to trip us as we came out, then rolled his eyes as we climbed into our old Corolla. Rolleyes

03-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Beans Beans, they are good for your heart, the more you eat, the more you fart, the more you fart, the better you feel, Beans Beans for every meal.......

As we used to sing at school.......
03-20-2012, 05:47 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2012 05:49 AM by NWoBHM.)
(03-19-2012 06:48 PM)Rey Wrote:  I had the Beans on Toast again for supper tonight, and I really like them now, I think I am hooked! But you are right Boomer about them being the poor mans dish, of course I had to look up the history of the meal.

Apparently the tin of Heinz beans with tomato sauce originally came with a piece of pork in it, a la Pork 'n' Beans. In the 1940's during the war, meat was heavily rationed in the UK so the pork part was dropped. All meat in general was hard to come by so the Beans on Toast became an inexpensive wartime meal that filled you up, and still offered some protein. After the war the pork was never added back again, and the product has pretty much stayed the same to this day and became a traditional meal.

I did try making it with Bush's baked beans too, but that was a disaster. Way too sweet for on toast, plus the Bush's has a lot more juice in it and my toast became a soggy mess. Nope, you can't mess with the tradition, you have to use these Heinz beans, which seem just perfect on toast.

So if it is such a poor man's meal, what is with that fancy grocery store I described in my other post? Well, I think they just thought themselves something special and carried some international offerings. I don't think they will let us back in there because we ate all their free chocolate samples, drank the free coffee, enjoyed the classical music, and then just bought a couple cheap cans of beans. The doorman tried to trip us as we came out, then rolled his eyes as we climbed into our old Corolla. Rolleyes

We used to, as kids, put a knob of real butter (real mind you, none of that vegetable oil spread stuff) in the sauce when you are heating the beans and it makes the sauce really creamy - also you have got to add Worcestershire Sauce too.

In the UK, we have them now in "snap pots" - 4 pots together, snap them apart and microwave them for 1 minute and they are ready to go. No tin etc

Final top tip of the day - butter your toast with real butter too.....

And........if you are short of kidney beans, they work as a good alternative in Chilli - con - carne!!

And final PPS - They really are good for your heart...Smile
03-20-2012, 01:53 PM
(03-20-2012 04:04 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Beans Beans, they are good for your heart, the more you eat, the more you fart, the more you fart, the better you feel, Beans Beans for every meal.......

As we used to sing at school.......

Ha ha, I figured that would come up sooner or later. Actually, it doesn't affect me that way at all. When you eat beans on a regular basis your body gets accustomed to them and doesn't react that way. But it does make for a good song...Blazing Saddles anyone?

03-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Blazing Saddles was on over here the other day......"Is it twue what they say?"......"Is it?"........"oh it`s twue it`s twue it`s twue!!"

hahahaha.......great film.

Glad to hear you gut / bowels have got them beans licked!!
03-21-2012, 05:07 AM
One of our favorites, beans and buttered bread.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"