Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lunch anyone?
03-25-2012, 10:45 AM
RE: Lunch anyone?
I was talking with one of my reenacting friends about the Beans on Toast, and how it tied in with rationing during the war, and she said another popular item during rationing was toast with Marmite on it (another British product).

So NWoBHM, have you ever had Marmite? How does that taste? I might have to keep an eye open for it and give it a try.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2012, 10:59 AM
(03-25-2012 10:45 AM)Rey Wrote:  I was talking with one of my reenacting friends about the Beans on Toast, and how it tied in with rationing during the war, and she said another popular item during rationing was toast with Marmite on it (another British product).

So NWoBHM, have you ever had Marmite? How does that taste? I might have to keep an eye open for it and give it a try.

Marmite is a yeast extract spread, tastes a little like Bovril which is a beef extract - and is really nice on buttered toast, and makes an excellent warm drink - Biggles used to drink Bovril and hot water!!

Not sure how to define how it tastes, but a strong beef flavour - put too much on your toast and it is a bit like too much English Mustard - you feel it!!

The Aussies have something similar called Vegemite.

It is so popular over here (especially with kids) that Walkers Crisps make a special Marmite flavour crisp. Although some say you either hate it or love it - we are the "love it" brigade........
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Rey - if you cant find any and you fancy some let me know and I will mail some out to you.....

[Image: marmite-404_685611c.jpg]
03-25-2012, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 11:49 AM by Rey.)
Thanks Nwo...But I will check first in two places here first, that store where I found the Brit beans, and also this other good store (where I found the beans too) in their international foods section.

I had sourced a pair of boots that were in Britain, in my size, and they were prop boots used in the making of Saving Private Ryan, being replicas of the era Allied rough out boots. I was quite excited about getting these until I was quoted the shipping costs to the States almost equal the cost of the boots themselves. It ended up being too much so had to let them go.

So knowing the rates for shipping between our countries, I wouldn't want to burden you with that nasty for the sake of a bottle of Marmite...

This girl mentioned above had acquired some actual war ration era cookbooks, and I find it intriguing to maybe combine some cooking experimenting with this time of historical interest to me.

03-25-2012, 12:30 PM
The girls got into the war for quite a time, (I expect it was part of their syllabus at the time), and they got all sorts of replica ration books etc. I think a family was allowed 2 rashers of bacon, 2 eggs, some butter not much at all......My Grandmother from all accounts saw it all coming, and had plenty of tinned (I guess beans, fruit, spam) etc and lived very comfortably during the war.

Don`t forget to try dried eggs in your recipe, and I would think more game meals, Rabbit, Trout, Pheasant, (which I suspect a canny country lad could "nick" pretty easily from the woods and streams in the country).
03-25-2012, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2012 12:47 PM by Rey.)
(03-25-2012 12:30 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Don`t forget to try dried eggs in your recipe, and I would think more game meals, Rabbit, Trout, Pheasant, (which I suspect a canny country lad could "nick" pretty easily from the woods and streams in the country).

Oh man, you have reminded me of a memory with that one! My very first place after moving away from the folks (many years ago) was this old farmhouse on seven acres that I rented along with a roommate to help with expenses. After a couple of months, of course the roommate was fired from his job and became moneyless (facepalm). He promised not to eat my food though, and announced he was going to hunt rabbits. He then fashioned himself a little spear out of a stick, and bounded off into the adjoining woods to hunt for his prey (I had to do another facepalm). Of course he couldn't catch anything, and I would occasionally get a comical glimpse of him running by with the spear out the window. Later I had to kick him out of the house, and when I was away he came back and broke in and ate my food anyway...Undecided

03-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Oh no!! He was obviously never destined to be the next (or first) Bear Grylls - you don`t "spear" Rabbit, you snare it. Find the "runs" it travells on, and put your snare (noose) for it to walk into. Hey presto!

Although I did see Bear Grylls use a stick which was weighted at one end by a large knot where another branch would have come out, and he flung it, like a boomerang, at a Rabbit, and this spinning branch hit the Rabitt`s head.........and that was that.

I have never tried Rabbit - Livi often has it at out "local" pub - but I will wait for deeper austerity to bite before I go down that route.
03-26-2012, 01:25 PM
(03-25-2012 01:01 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I have never tried Rabbit - Livi often has it at out "local" pub - but I will wait for deeper austerity to bite before I go down that route.

It's quite nice, actually: I have a wonderful recipe for marinated and BBQ rabbit, if you'd like to try it....

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
(03-26-2012 01:25 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(03-25-2012 01:01 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I have never tried Rabbit - Livi often has it at out "local" pub - but I will wait for deeper austerity to bite before I go down that route.

It's quite nice, actually: I have a wonderful recipe for marinated and BBQ rabbit, if you'd like to try it....

Yes Please Knitterbookbinder post away - although buying Rabbit these days is getting harder and harder - in the good old days they would hang outside butchers shops, but now you need some special license - crazy!!
03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
(03-26-2012 01:36 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
(03-26-2012 01:25 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  It's quite nice, actually: I have a wonderful recipe for marinated and BBQ rabbit, if you'd like to try it....

Yes Please Knitterbookbinder post away - although buying Rabbit these days is getting harder and harder - in the good old days they would hang outside butchers shops, but now you need some special license - crazy!!

It's a special-order item at the high-end butcher shop here, and painfully expensive, sadly.

1 rabbit (1 kg or a bit more), jointed into legs and shoulders, saddle and ribs, and belly

1 cup of olive oil

1/4 cup of dried oregano (or 3/4 c. fresh)

8 garlic cloves, minced

the zest and juice of 2 lemons

1/2 cup of grainy mustard

Ground pepper

Salt
Two large stems of fresh rosemary

Whisk together the olive oil, oregano, garlic, lemon zest and juice, grainy mustard and pepper in a dish or Ziploc bag large enough to hold the rabbit.  Mix well then add the rabbit pieces.  Rub mixture over rabbit pieces and cover or seal.  Put in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour or overnight.

When ready to cook, take the meat out, reserve the marinade, put it on a rack, and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. and place on the preheated grill (preheat to hot, turn down to medium when meat goes on.

Put the legs and shoulder on the barbecue. While they cook for 10 minutes, skewer (with metal skewer) the two pieces of belly together and put that on the BBQ. After another 10 minutes, put the saddle and ribs on. Make sure you turn the meat over every so often and baste by dipping the rosemary into the reserved marinade.

The meat should be done when the saddle and ribs have been on for 15 or 20 minutes in total (check by cutting into the thickest part of the leg or shoulder: meat should still be a bit pink). Remove from heat, cover with foil on a platter, and rest for 15 minutes.

----

And this marinade is great using a butterflied leg of lamb too.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....