Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The SOUNDS As I Go to Sleep....
08-03-2011, 02:56 AM
The SOUNDS As I Go to Sleep....
I recently moved from a lovely house on a large piece of land in a suburban area, to a condo in an urban area on the Columbia River.

I used to fall asleep to the sound of crickets in my backyard. I had huge blackberry bushes surrounding my property. I grew every fruit and vegetable you can think of in my little suburban piece of paradise and life was excellent...until the stripper joints took over.

The neighborhood became corrupt and drugs were being sold just down the block.

I made the hard decision to get out, buy a new house, and rent my little place to someone who would take care of it.

Fortunately, all of my plans fell into place! I have a tenant who really wants to make the neighborhood a better place and he's doing a good job.

I MISS MY CRICKETS! Can I buy eggs or babies somewhere? I want crickets here at my new home.

Is there a CD of cricket sounds? Should I google this?

What helps YOU sleep?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 09:06 AM
RE: The SOUNDS As I Go to Sleep....
I live on a pretty busy road so I run a fan for the noise it makes to drown out other sounds. I have gotten to the point where I can't sleep unless I have the fan on, and the gentle breeze it provides, even in winter.

As far as crickets, I think there are CD's around that will provide the sounds of a country night, although I don't have one.

It does remind me of the time I spent a night at a bed 'n' breakfast on a farm in Iowa. We slept with all the windows open and the sounds of the country night filled the room. There was a pond nearby so I was also hearing things I wasn't exactly sure what they were, cicadas and frogs, all kinds of things. It was a very relaxing sound, and with the breeze blowing through the windows, I slept really well. That is until the crack of dawn, and a rooster out in the yard started loudly crowing, waking me up. But it was all part of the experience, and yes there is something special about the sounds of a country night.

Wind in my hair, Shifting and drifting, Mechanical music, Adrenaline surge-
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
If my husband is on a business trip, I like to fall asleep to the radio playing. If he is home, he has a fan running. That sound and the sound of a purring/snoring cat on our bed is what I doze off to.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I used to live by a freeway and everyone said to pretend it's the ocean-didn't work. Then I moved to the ocean and I could barely hear the waves over the drunken partyers. Now I live in the country and sleep to frogs, crickets, and (hopefully) a slight breeze in the oak tree outside the window. Ah, peace at last....
Hope the neighborhood changes and you can move back to your house!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
08-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm very lucky. My house abuts conservation land, so my night sounds are crickets (possibly available at pet stores for home chirping?), peepers in the spring, the 8Hootr or Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl, Whip-or-wills, coyotes, and my favorite when the wind blows - the choiring of the trees.
But then I've recently begun to snore at night (ah, age) and wake myself up!

Hoobah-doobah
08-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Buying crickets at the pet store? What a great idea! I'll look in it it today.

I'll NEVER move back to my old house, I love where I live now. I just miss the crickets.
08-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Same here with a fan going; I cannot sleep with complete silence.
If I get hot... I wake up. Colder the better.
Usually, Dawns breathing does it for me. I wrote her a letter years ago before we were married, telling her in part that
her voice was soothing to me. (she does have a strange voice... very difficult to describe) But it was the only one I had heard thus far that I actually enjoy hearing, other than my daughters.

I have difficulty fall asleep with a radio on. It simply reminds me of ... everything. I equate songs to times and memories. Tough to turn your brain off when it is being stimulated!

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
08-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Fan, yes...and a snoring Pug. Smile

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
"Adventures..."
08-03-2011, 11:35 PM
(08-03-2011 11:53 AM)BrianW Wrote:  I'm very lucky. My house abuts conservation land, so my night sounds are crickets (possibly available at pet stores for home chirping?), peepers in the spring, the 8Hootr or Barred Owl, Great Horned Owl, Whip-or-wills, coyotes, and my favorite when the wind blows - the choiring of the trees.
But then I've recently begun to snore at night (ah, age) and wake myself up!

"The choiring of the trees." What a lovely phrase! And so true.....

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
08-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Huh. I'v fallen asleep in closets, lockers, frame bays on a submarine, BILGES on a submarine, under a bridge, practially anywhere I can lay my head.....

But if you even think of turning a radio on - I can't even think of sleep. Little like Muffy. If you turn the radio on my brain connects songs with times people places things, stimulates the ol noggin, and then I start getting happy feet thinking I am the worlds only air drummer, and before you know it - I'm dancing on the back patio in my skivvies.

Ewwwww!!!!!!

For You Steve & Monica - Your Love will forever shine on in our hearts!!!

[Image: monicasteve.jpg]