Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BBQ Suggestions
08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
BBQ Suggestions
Okay, I didn't see anything about this on the other threads.

I'm am starting to look for a small BBQ as I'm really interested in cooking veggies and even pizza on it (I've found some recipes that I'd like to try).

So what is the best brand, and the best kind for a beginner like me?

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 11:07 AM
RE: BBQ Suggestions
(08-03-2011 11:03 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  Okay, I didn't see anything about this on the other threads.

I'm am starting to look for a small BBQ as I'm really interested in cooking veggies and even pizza on it (I've found some recipes that I'd like to try).

Do you want a gas grill or a charcoal grill?

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
Find all posts by this user
08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
probably gas. Cleanup may be easier since I don't cook meat, so the lack of hot coals would be good too.

08-03-2011, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2011 12:42 PM by dheafey.)
(08-03-2011 11:03 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  Okay, I didn't see anything about this on the other threads.

A couple other questions:

- Do you need a rotisserie?
- Do you want a "smoker box"? Whilst cooking, you can place soaked wood chips in this box to give the grilled item a bit of the old smoke.
- Would you like a side burner?

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
At this point, I don't think that I need a rotisserie as I'm not planning to cook any meat on it.
I have thought about getting a smoker box. I saw a small one at the store.
I probably don't need a side burner............yet. If I start with a small BBQ and then determine that I'll do more extensive cooking on it, then I'll need to upgrade to one with a side burner.

08-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I have a gas Char-Griller right now with a side burner. I have been very happy with it. It really keeps the heat. But I am buying a charcoal with a smoker box at the end of the month. It will still be a Char-Griller but I am still keeping the gas grill. I enjoy cooking pizza's on the grill and having a gas grill makes it easier to control the heat. For a side burner it is up to the griller. For a long time I used a cast iron pan or a pot right on a charcoal grill and it worked fine.
08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Ok, cool. I think I got the gist of it now. I would target a 2 or 3 burner grill, something like the Char Broils here: http://www.charbroil.com/Series/4-96/Tra...rills.aspx

...or what Phillip suggested. Look for one with "splatter reduction" surfaces - usually a triangular metal sheet that sits over the burner and reduces the amount of fat and oil that hits the open flames, preventing flare ups.

For grilling vegetables, I've used 2 techniques: skewers or "baskets". Skewers, IMO, provide the best "char" as they're in direct contact with the grill surface, but they require more work to prepare. I'd suggest wooden skewers, but make sure to soak them in water prior to use. The baskets are great for large amounts of veggies. Something like this is good:

[Image: 41MvclUC1GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Also, make sure to buy a grill cover and cover your grill after it cools down. I've had cheapo $150 grills that have lasted a dozen years by taking care of them in this manner. The burners typically go before other items and are easily replaced with standard ones from your big box stores.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
08-07-2011, 10:06 PM
In my opinion Bagel, I'd look at Weber.
I started with a Genesis model, and after many years I've upgraded to a Summit.
The thing I like the most is the fact that the parts are easily accquired, so if you do have any trouble you can change them yourself very simply.
The Genesis is probabaly the right size for your family, and still enough room to entertain too.
Whatever you do pick, don't buy a smoker box, I have one I'll let you have. I bought it for my Genesis, but when I gave it away they didn't want the smoker box.
That big hometown hardware store is having their anniversary sale, you should probably go check out the bbq's!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
08-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I bet that hardware store is having some fabulous sales! I'll check them out tomorrow...........when I have the car...........and when most of the town is at work and not filling the parking lot!

06-24-2013, 09:28 PM
I have a BBQ finally! My dad gave me his. So I'm looking forward to trying it out.