Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pesto, Pesto, PESTO!!!
08-27-2011, 11:41 AM
RE: Pesto, Pesto, PESTO!!!
Brutus-ending sentences with prepositions?? Bubba did it a couple of times in "Far and Away". I was SHOCK-ED!

OK-continue lashing Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2011, 03:05 PM
We can't ban YOU big guy......you're too nice to us!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-30-2011, 11:02 AM
With this thread the wheels in my mind began to turn. I have a bumper crop of oregano this year and even with the amount I dry for winter I still had quite a bit.
I took a look in the cupboard to see if I could made pesto out of it.

There were enough oregano leaves picked off their stems to fill my Cusinart food processor bowl. I then added in: juice of a lemon, some salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic, walnuts, parmesan cheese and olive oil. Gave it a few good whirls with the machine and.... Ta da* Pesto

I've placed it into the fridge to let the flavors meld a bit and see if there needs to be any adjusting. I'll keep some out, but will most likely use Brutus' idea of freezing it into to small amounts.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
08-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:Tan ice cubes?

Tan = Tanya, my wife. Good Russian name, (although she is English with French ancestory - but I don`t hold that against her) a lot of US people think it is Tam as I guess in Tammy which must be a popular US name?

Anyroad up, she freezes fresh coriander in ice cubes to place in curries towards the end of the cooking.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Well, I'm getting tons of ideas from all of you...THANKS!

My stevia is also growing like crazy this summer. I usually dry it and then process it into a powder in my coffee grinder. It's a wonderful addition to tea and you can sprinkle it into muffin or cookie batter as a substitute for sugar.

But I guess I'm getting off track here, (That would be a first, eh?). I'm interested in anything you all are doing with herbs...NO, not that one! Wink
08-31-2011, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2011 12:17 AM by Scythe Matters.)
(08-30-2011 11:02 AM)2Beers Wrote:  With this thread the wheels in my mind began to turn. I have a bumper crop of oregano this year and even with the amount I dry for winter I still had quite a bit.
I took a look in the cupboard to see if I could made pesto out of it.

There were enough oregano leaves picked off their stems to fill my Cusinart food processor bowl. I then added in: juice of a lemon, some salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic, walnuts, parmesan cheese and olive oil. Gave it a few good whirls with the machine and.... Ta da* Pesto

I've placed it into the fridge to let the flavors meld a bit and see if there needs to be any adjusting. I'll keep some out, but will most likely use Brutus' idea of freezing it into to small amounts.

Great idea! We've got scads of oregano. Going to give this a try, too.

Also I have lots of mint. No, not mint pesto (why do I want to add an 'r" to that? Wink ), but I make a syrup of the various mints - I have 6 different kinds - and use that to make tea. Just add water and ice!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
As a good Italian, I make lots of pesto every year (I think it is in the rule book that you have to). I always add a touch of lemon juice to mine as I find it perks up the flavor. If you use the stems and the leaves near the flower buds (and the flower buds too for that matter) I find that the pesto turns out to be bitter. My grandmother also taught my mom to add/augment the basil with spinach. When exposed to air the basil will oxidize (kind of like apples) and the spinach works to maintain that bright green color. It has a pretty neutral flavor too so it should not impact the flavor if at all. I would also be wary of canning it, I have small plastic Tupperware containers I use and just pop them i the freeze. I have also been known to fill an ice cube tray with pesto and store the cubes in a plastic bag. Makes spicing up a sauce etc a cinch.

My basic ingredients:
Pesto
Spinach
Peccorino Romano
Garlic (just a few home grown cloves)
Pine nuts
touch of lemon juice
olive oil

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
09-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Lemon! Of course! [Image: doh.gif]

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
09-02-2011, 05:00 PM
(09-01-2011 09:35 AM)Counselor Wrote:  As a good Italian, I make lots of pesto every year (I think it is in the rule book that you have to). I always add a touch of lemon juice to mine as I find it perks up the flavor. If you use the stems and the leaves near the flower buds (and the flower buds too for that matter) I find that the pesto turns out to be bitter. My grandmother also taught my mom to add/augment the basil with spinach. When exposed to air the basil will oxidize (kind of like apples) and the spinach works to maintain that bright green color. It has a pretty neutral flavor too so it should not impact the flavor if at all. I would also be wary of canning it, I have small plastic Tupperware containers I use and just pop them i the freeze. I have also been known to fill an ice cube tray with pesto and store the cubes in a plastic bag. Makes spicing up a sauce etc a cinch.

My basic ingredients:
Pesto
Spinach
Peccorino Romano
Garlic (just a few home grown cloves)
Pine nuts
touch of lemon juice
olive oil

I like the lemon idea. I think I'd do a lemon zest rather than the juice. In canning when vinegar is required I often add a bit of lemon/lime juice to supplement the flavor. It works equally well as a preservative I'm told.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
09-02-2011, 05:03 PM
(08-30-2011 11:22 PM)Patty Wrote:  Well, I'm getting tons of ideas from all of you...THANKS!

My stevia is also growing like crazy this summer. I usually dry it and then process it into a powder in my coffee grinder. It's a wonderful addition to tea and you can sprinkle it into muffin or cookie batter as a substitute for sugar.

But I guess I'm getting off track here, (That would be a first, eh?). I'm interested in anything you all are doing with herbs...NO, not that one! Wink

I assume you were referring to the combustable variety?

What is stevia?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'