Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Home made smokers.
04-25-2010, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2010 01:26 PM by rkalem.)
Home made smokers.
I want to make a home made smoker this summer and I am wondering If anyone can give me some of there feedback on what they use.I usually smoke meat in a weber but I want to try real slow smoking.

PROUD MEMBER OF P.E.T.A
PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
RE: Home made smokers.
I am going to try and make one from an old wood stove an old metal box and some stove pipe. Good idea? Bad idea?

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
04-28-2010, 02:10 AM
I was going to make a garbage can smoker but the wife said she will slit my throat if I do....LOL
04-28-2010, 05:32 PM
(04-28-2010 02:10 AM)rkalem Wrote:  I was going to make a garbage can smoker but the wife said she will slit my throat if I do....LOL

my wife said nearly the same thing! However, we are expecting our first child this summer and plan to sneak construction in while she is otherwise occupied Smile once it's done what could possibly happen?

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
04-29-2010, 02:01 AM
Congradulations on your upcoming first child, but as a father myself,a pregnant woman can act in the strangest ways.
04-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Seriously? Ya figger? Now excuse me while I go take that fork out of my back.....

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
(04-29-2010 02:01 AM)rkalem Wrote:  Congradulations on your upcoming first child, but as a father myself,a pregnant woman can act in the strangest ways.

Guess my logic stems from her refusing to let me convert the garden shed into a chicken coop until one day she came home and it was done... with my father and mother coming up this weekend, perhaps we can sneak in its construction early...

That said, I guess I am lucky, no real mood issues, just food aversions. Loves shrimp but cannot stand the thought of them currently. Grilled onions on a burger are another love that is currently WAY out of bounds!

The only other strange behavior is because we are due on 7/23 she seems to think its important that I stick around the house... guess who is not going to make it to SPAC?

04-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I had a friend who made one out of an old dishwasher (metal, not plastic). Basically, he dug a hole the size of the dishwasher in the side of a hill on his property. He than "plumed" it. The incoming smoke entered through the bottom of the washer (where the motor was). Then he had to cut a hole through the top to vent it.

It was quite the sight to see smoked meat being pulled from a dishwasher that was in the side of a hill.
04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
My wife is from Romania and I go visit every year.The crazy thing is that Romanians love everything smoked.They have these mountain cottages that they hang meat in the attic space .In the winter when they light the fire place,the chimeny goes directly into the attic and out a vent hole.The meat gets smoked very slowly and the taste is unbelievable.When I go next year I will post some photos.
02-14-2013, 01:44 PM
I had my first smoker experience SuperBowl Sunday. My buddy in Maine's neighbor is a carpenter and built what I call the Coffin. Stands 6 feet tall and is framed to hold standard (surplus) oven racks. Multi-adjustable with hangers. Heating element below is from a LL Bean or Cabelas turkey smoker and runs off propane. Think we used mostly apple wood. We smoked whole chickens, a briscuit, three kinds of jerky, sausage, and hand rolled salamis. Started at 9am; we gorged on meat all afternoon into the wee hours (damn you Ravens). Simple, yet effective unit. Add beer, good to go.

Season's Greetings!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user