Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Home made smokers.
03-02-2013, 02:20 AM
RE: Home made smokers.
(04-25-2010 06:25 AM)rkalem Wrote:  I want to make a home made smoker this summer and I am wondering If anyone can give me some of there feedback on what they use.I usually smoke meat in a weber but I want to try real slow smoking.

PROUD MEMBER OF P.E.T.A
PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS.

It's pretty easy to make an excellent smoker at your own home without a lot of tools or expense.

The smokers in question are called a UDS, which is short for an Ugly Drum Smoker. It's a 55" drum that is converted into a smoker and uses cooking grates from the 22" Weber kettle or Smokey Mountain. You can get the grates at Home Depot or Lowes for about 14 bucks each and the rest of the hardware you need at the same place or a local Ace Hardware.

The drums can commonly be found on craigslist. Just make sure that you get one that is food grade and preferably had stored apple juice concentrate or vegetable oil.

I'm not sure what the rules are here about posting links to other sites, so I'll just suggest that you google 'Ugly Drum Smoker'. Lots of pictorials will pop up. Your total cost will be about $60.00 and a few hours of your time and they are used by many award winning pitmasters.

Good luck!

Eric
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Looking to fabricate my own smoker. Going to design and weld it up myself. Want to use at least 3/16" thick steel to hold the heat better than the tin can smoker I got from Home Depot. Stay tuned.

Fir Na Tine
04-15-2014, 05:46 PM
http://bbqbros.net/how-to-build-a-mini-w...-mountain/

My sister has had good luck with one of these. It is easy to make and use.

06-14-2015, 10:11 PM
I smoked on my Weber kettle for two years. It was very fussy since I needed to watch the temperature constantly--trying to keep the grill surface at 225 degrees is a bear. I would section off a portion of the grill with old bricks in order to build a "pit" for the charcoal, then I could smoke the meat indirectly over the portion of the grill that had no coals under it. I used a loaf pan of water under the meat. I had good results, but having to nudge the bottom vents in microscopic amounts got old. Still, it is doable, especially if you use the "minion method" to light the coals.

So, I broke down this winter and bought a real Smokey Mountain smoker, the 18-1/2" version. But I'm a cheapskate. I found one on Craigslist at a very deep discount, used only three times, looking practically brand new. If you're patient you can wait it out and find one. It took me two years to find this one locally! Well worth it though. There is still a learning curve, but I figure if the touring BBQ competitors use these, it's good enough for me. Going to do a beef brisket next; I have to head down to Eastern Market to buy one though, since the suburban meat markets price brisket right up there with tenderloin lately. This thing cooks more than we could ever eat in one (or four) sittings, but I figure if we entertain for a party, it's better to have that capacity.

I'm not allowed to use the garbage can for smoking anymore--it's plastic. Big Grin Plus, the danged rats ate holes in the bottom...

- Rudy -