Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Red Wine Review
09-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Red Wine Review
When I'm in the mood for a Chianti, a sure bet is Ruffino Chianti Classico. If you really want to celebrate try the Ruffino Riserva Ducale Oro.

Bravissimo!

What do you like?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2011, 07:41 PM
RE: Red Wine Review
Yesterday I opened a bottle of Valle Calda Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.

Very smooth.
10-07-2011, 09:39 AM
A good, inexpensive Chianti that we like, especially with pasta dishes, is Bellagio. Though not a red, we had a bottle of Chateau St. Michelle, Rieseling, last night,(a local winery) and though I'm not a big fan of white wines, this one was great!...not too sweet, and no bitter aftertaste. I prefer Merlots, Cabernets and Burgundys most of the time. Been trying to stay away from the Boones Farm and MD 20/20 since high school!!!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2011, 09:53 AM
(10-07-2011 09:39 AM)Gnawin Nawlins Wrote:  Been trying to stay away from the Boones Farm and MD 20/20 since high school!!!

Aaaahhh, I have fond memories of being in my early 20's and having a bottle of Boone's apple wine in a brown paper bag to slurp on while hanging around at bonfire parties. At that age, and in that situation of a cool autumn evening around the fire, I remember it tasted great, but I have not had it for a long time now. Does my memory enhance the flavor?

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
10-07-2011, 10:23 AM
One of my favorites is the Brunello di Montalcino Reserva. You have to pour it through an aerator and then let it rest, but it is flavorful and smooth. I don't know all the terms for wine, but I like Brunello and I guess that's what counts....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
10-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Chateau St. Michelle makes excellent wine. Try their Cabernet.
10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
(10-07-2011 09:53 AM)Rey Wrote:  
(10-07-2011 09:39 AM)Gnawin Nawlins Wrote:  Been trying to stay away from the Boones Farm and MD 20/20 since high school!!!

Aaaahhh, I have fond memories of being in my early 20's and having a bottle of Boone's apple wine in a brown paper bag to slurp on while hanging around at bonfire parties. At that age, and in that situation of a cool autumn evening around the fire, I remember it tasted great, but I have not had it for a long time now. Does my memory enhance the flavor?

Ha! Nooooo, your memory serves to enhance the ambience of the evening, not the flavor of said "wine." Still, it's those cherished memories of youth that seem to gild the lily on anything....remember Bartles & Jaymes wine coolers?!

The Hubster & I have recently been sampling ports, after visiting a local Spanish tapas bar that offered a velvety smooth tawny port as a digestif. We discovered a regional winery that offered it's own version, "Indiana Ruby Red" Port, a slightly more fruity "rubio" as opposed to a "tawny," but still tasty, nonetheless.

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
10-11-2011, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 06:09 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
Last night I opened a bottle of APOTHIC RED 2009, blend of zinfandel(not white zin-red), Syrah and Merlot. I'm not a huge fan of blended wines, but this had great character. I highly recommend.

It went well with pickled red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, and green peppers stuffed with parmigiana and lean prosciutto. Outstanding combo.
(10-07-2011 10:23 AM)Gungawoman Wrote:  One of my favorites is the Brunello di Montalcino Reserva. You have to pour it through an aerator and then let it rest, but it is flavorful and smooth. I don't know all the terms for wine, but I like Brunello and I guess that's what counts....

I'll have to look for that, though I tend to not let it breath enough before imbibing.Tongue
10-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Agreed on the St. Michelle cab. I still gravitate towards "14 Hands" cab as a reliable everyday drinkable, as well as Bogle.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
14 hands-I'll have to keep an eye for it.

Tried Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel. Strong flavor. Good
I have yet to try the cabernet. I'll have to get me some of that as well!