Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Red Wine Review
10-11-2011, 07:25 PM
RE: Red Wine Review
Not real big on whites - definitely try the Bogle cab

I have also had very good luck with Chilean wines in general. Can't recall a single one that I would pour out.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 07:29 PM
(10-11-2011 07:25 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  Not real big on whites - definitely try the Bogle cab

I have also had very good luck with Chilean wines in general. Can't recall a single one that I would pour out.

Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel is a red grape. Try it-very unique. I love the Chilean and Argentinian varieties. Excellent flavor.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2011, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2011 06:53 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
Apothic Red, very nice blended wine, reasonable with mature mellow smoothness, blackberry and walnut decrescendo to pleasant dryness.
Inexpensive.
That was my first pretentious wine review. Wahttaya think? Is it annoying enough? No, really, I really sensed raspberry and chocolate, or walnut or something. Undertones, overtones, crescendo, decrescendo. Lot's of fruit, nuts and music.

They are metaphors for the affects on the palette, so in that sense I get it.
Here's the best wine ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...iR7Fq2tqJ0
12-30-2011, 02:17 PM
We did a blind wine-tasting event on Christmas. My wife and her Mom went to France and Spain earlier in the year and she brought home some red wines. Two bottles from Ch√Ęteauneuf-du-Pape, one of which you can get in the States, and the other is sold only over there. She threw in two more bottles from some the West Coast and we sampled all of them and took notes. Interestingly, the cheap red wine made near Chico, CA scored highest in our testing, but the two from Ch√Ęteauneuf-du-Pape were also quite good. I guess our palettes are simple! Smile
Anyway, it was a lot of fun.
01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I love to open several and sample Smile That sounds like a great tradition!
01-02-2012, 03:19 AM
I'll have to get Ren Man to tell ya'll about his favorite red wine. I can't remember the name of it.... Huh

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Last time we went down to the Valley (Phoenix) we picked up a bottle of Shiraz called "The Crusher", from California. Sounds funny, but it was rated a 95, so what the heck. It was excellent! Very smooth and fruity, but not too sweet.
At about $15 a bottle, we wished we'd bought a couple more. We can't find it here in the sticks and the only place we've found it down south was at Cost Plus World Market.
If you find it, give it a try.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-04-2012, 02:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 02:46 AM by Snapdad.)
You know, I've been hankering to try some Cadeuceus. Perhaps Arizona might be our next wine mecca?
01-04-2012, 12:17 PM
(01-04-2012 02:45 AM)Snapdad Wrote:  You know, I've been hankering to try some Cadeuceus. Perhaps Arizona might be our next wine mecca?

Haven't tried that one, Snapdad, but I've heard good comments about it. We thought about a vineyard out at our 50 acre ranch, but after you figure in 7-8 years to get the vines producing well, and all the expense of irrigation, etc, not to mention it's an hour and a half away, I didn't want to be 90 years old before it got off the ground Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I am a big fan of Zinfandel, of the red variety...especially love the word-play on some of the labels:

7 Deadly Zins (one of my faves!)
Earth, Zin and Fire
Cardinal Zin
Sin Zin
PoiZin
Zin Your Face

Another favorite Zin is Rancho Zabaco...great wine for under $15. Love the Cigar Zin too. Closer to the $30 range but well worth it on occasion - or with a perfectly grilled Filet!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields