Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Red Wine Review
08-09-2012, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 10:07 PM by LiveToCook.)
RE: Red Wine Review
(07-27-2012 09:58 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  There isn't a lot of tasty, well-priced (<$15) California red wine brought into Alberta, but I've recently discovered Apothic Red, which is Bordeaux-like blend.

Supposedly, they also make a white, but I haven't seen it.

I can only agree with you on the Apothic red, it is a good value for the dollar. We are now seeing more and more Californian's into Quebec. From the most expensives, all the way down to the 10 - 20 $ range. With some quite good for the money. Have you tried Portuguese wines? I must admit that they have seriously improved their wines and the prices are very good. Worth the tryTongue Just had Duorum recently (below the 20 $ range) and it was delicious. Fairly light, drinkable now and with nice complexity.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Speakin' 'o' Portuguese wines (or ports, as it were....)
This is a fave of mine and the hubby... we've enjoyed it at a local Tapas bar...lovely after a nibble on lamb shank!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
11-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Just love the Tapas places! There's one called Cafe Espana (I know there'a a way to type a tilda but I don't remember how) in St. James we go to sometimes on "date night."

This week I sampled Chateau De Costis Bodeaux. Reasonable price and very good overall.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Talking of tastings, in Montreal this is the ''Grande Dégustation'' (Great tasting) which is a wine show. Tasted and bought the following; Port Vintage 1966 Dos Vinhios Messias Colheita, 82$can. This is a very nice discovery (private import)... As for Californians, bought some Francis Ford Cappola Diamond Cabernet Ivory Label 2010 26.80$, this for Quebec is Private Import and for the money is a phenomenal buy, I can only imagine how inexpensive it must be in the States. Caymus Special Selection Cabernet 2009, somewhat difficult to get here... Herdade Sao Miguel Riserva Alexandre Relvas from Portugal, phenomal wine for 36.75$can very nice drink now not too aggresive and full bodied. Last but not least a Chilian wine made by the same house that does Cousino Macul, their Lota 2007 that is a keeper and beautiful Bordeau style that would be close to being a Grand Cru wine (French - Bordeau) for ''0nly'' 75$can, Again Private Imp.. And just as a finishing word... Private Import in Quebec and most of Canada means products NOT sold by our SAQ (Societé des Alcools du Québec) that is a government organization that maintains a monopoly of the sale of liquor and wines within the province. This or course includes all the stores and distribution outlets that sell wine & liquor. So agencies (small or big)can import products that are not available from the regular source in different quantities and make them available to restaurants and individuals. Basically this is a great opportunity for us to discover nice products at an interesting price...
11-11-2012, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 05:13 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
WOWExclamation
01-06-2013, 04:35 PM
For the money Saint Cosme 2011 Cotes-Du-Rhone was really nice.
02-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Tonight, after back breaking snow shoveling I'm drinking Mouton Cadet 2007 Bordeaux. Not bad for the money ($9.59)...

My daughter decided to bake chocolate chip cookies; odd combination with red wine resulting in a bit of heartburn so we'll just knock it down with some Tums.

Interesting combo: Chocolate chip cookies, Bordeaux and Tums!
03-10-2013, 06:07 PM
I find I usually can't go wrong with a Bordeaux until this one...

Chateau De Beauregard-Ducourt Bordeaux 2009.

It's...okay, I guess.

Sharp shark bite attack with overtones of charcoal and roadkill with a finish like thumbtacks and crazy glue.
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Sharp shark bite attack with overtones of charcoal and roadkill with a finish like thumbtacks and crazy glue.

Now THAT's a review Rolleyes

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
03-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks Vincent, many laughs here... Good... no, no, no, excellent way to make a description for a ''corked'' or totally no good wine...