Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
09-02-2011, 08:26 AM

The harvest is coming in now, I was wondering what people are putting in the larder?

(I’d say sticking in the freezer counts too!)

Yesterday I canned 31 pint jars of Bread and Butter pickles.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb...=1&theater

(Hopefully that worked!)

I have 10 pounds of beets to work on today. I'll put that recipe up if anyone wants it.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2011, 10:07 AM
RE: What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
Today, it's Raspberry jam that I'm canning! Yummm!!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I have beans calling me when i get home from camping.
09-02-2011, 12:36 PM
(09-02-2011 12:30 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  I have beans calling me when i get home from camping.

SEE?!?!?
I am NOT the ONLY ONE that has produce talking to them!
Maybe we need to form a support group RN!Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
09-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Today, 11 pints of beets with garlic, onion and hot pepper. Tomorrow, crunchy gherkins and shopping for veggies for a jardinier mix, maybe pearl onions and then it's on to tomatoes. Love it!

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
09-02-2011, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 08:52 PM by Gungawoman.)
BEETS Sad ack cough ack ack shudder

Didn't can anything today, but yesterday, I made garlic dill chips with a few bird's eye chilies in each jar. Made 10 1/2 pints. Day before made garlic dill spears--10 pint jars

We have one of those vacuum sealers. I picked a BUNCH of green beans. Washed and snapped them and sealed them into dinner sized portions.

Brutus-you've been busy! I have a TON of tomatoes, but none are ripe yet. I can't figure out what they're waiting for.........

HardwareGrl--I've never heard of turning the jars upside down. What does that do?????

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-02-2011, 08:58 PM
OK.....How do you make garlic dill chips w/a few bird's eye chillies in each jar?
09-02-2011, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 09:09 PM by HardwareGrl.)
(09-02-2011 08:49 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  HardwareGrl--I've never heard of turning the jars upside down. What does that do?????

That is something my Mother taught me to do.
When you pull the jars out of your water bath you turn the jars upside down to "set" the seal on the jars.
It gives the jars one more chance to seal good and tight before your jar cools off.
If you get a jar that didn't seal during the water bath you can convince it to afterwards if you turn it over and let it cool upside down.
For the longest time I thought it was something quirky that my Mother taught me, and then reciently I was reading The Ball Blue Book and they mentioned it as a known technique.
Go figure....Blush
(09-02-2011 04:41 PM)Brutus Wrote:  Today, 11 pints of beets with garlic, onion and hot pepper. Tomorrow, crunchy gherkins and shopping for veggies for a jardinier mix, maybe pearl onions and then it's on to tomatoes. Love it!

YUM! Recipe please?
Here's my beets effort today, good 'ole traditional pickled beets....

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb...=1&theater

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
09-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Tomatoes are at the produce stands now. I need to buy 2 or 3 lugs and spend the weekend blanching and canning.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2011, 01:26 PM
(09-02-2011 08:58 PM)Brutus Wrote:  OK.....How do you make garlic dill chips w/a few bird's eye chillies in each jar?

Well, they aren't pickle chips that are crispy like potato chips....... Smile
I make a regular pickling brine,and slice my cucumbers (the kind to put on hamburgers). I fill the jars with a bunch of my fresh dill, a whole clove of smashed garlic, 8 peppercorns, 3-4 bird's eye chilies, 1/8 tsp. of "crisper" stuff, and as many cucumber "chips" as I can stuff in. I fill the jars with the brine and then water process them.

HardwareGrl--Interesting! Learn something new every day!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...