Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
09-03-2011, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2011 02:48 PM by old honda rider.)
RE: What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
Scored a number of ears of corn-on-the-cob today so some of my early evening will be filled with blanching, bagging and putting in the freezer. Fresh corn on the cob in the middle of February is pretty hard to beat!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2011, 05:30 PM
(09-03-2011 10:53 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  Tomatoes are at the produce stands now. I need to buy 2 or 3 lugs and spend the weekend blanching and canning.

Whats a lug weigh?

Does anyone remember an old joke that was prompted by , "What's a hen weigh?"

It was so funny it blew a mental socket.

PS....Bubba has asked me to set up a thead for ''Turtle and Snail" jokes. I've found a few jokes that keep repeating themselves...1 Wheeee... 2 It happened so fast.....3 What was that all about?

Bubba seems really enamored with this....go figure!

So if someone wants to create this new thread, go ahead and I'll keep an eye on it. If someone comes up with the most amazing snail/turtle joke of all time...I'll make sure gifts are rewarded and I will personally do something....

I crack myself up!

But honestly....I will do something....It will have to be a surprise.
To me too!

B

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
09-03-2011, 10:59 PM
I looked up the weight of a lug on Google and it's approximately between 17 and 20 pounds in a crate or cardboard box. I foresee a long day in the kitchen when I bring those home.

A snail joke should be worth it's weight in salt...........or should that be a slug joke? Tongue

I think that I can honestly say, that I've never heard a snail/turtle joke (I guess I've been too sheltered, lol). I'm interested in seeing what is posted.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2011, 12:48 PM
40 lbs of tomatoes done. 80 to go!

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
09-05-2011, 01:42 PM
That is A LOT of maters Brutus. Are you canning them without seasoning? Do you blanch them to remove the skins?
09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
That is a season's worth, maybe two, of spaghetti and/or pizza sauce!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2011, 01:35 AM
That's a lot of tomato sauce, Brutus!

Well, unfortunately we missed cherry season by 2 weeks or so. And we weren't able to make the fruit loop. But we did manage to get some apples and Walla Walla sweet onions. I'll eat the apples but we might caramelize the onions and try canning them. Caramelized sweets on a burger.... nomnomnom. Yummy!

And then I've got blackberries to get made into jam. We always have waaaaay too many even with the 'pacas chowing down on the ones they can get to. Anybody want a jar?

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
09-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Blackberry jam sounds delish!!
09-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Peach pickles today!
Its a recipe that is new to me, so I am hoping its worth the effort to make them!
Preliminary taste tests show promise, crossing fingers.....

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
09-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Hello... I'm new here... hope you don't me joining the conversation!

I'm making and preserving my hot salsa as we speak. Yesterday was another several jars of dill pickles! Tomorrow... I need to do something with all those pole beans in my yard!

BTW... does anyone have a good recipe for spicy pickled eggs? My chickens are outdoing themselves and I need to find a way to keep all those eggs! I tried doing them with the same brine and spices as I did my pickles in and they turned out okay, but ... not quite right. Any suggestions?

Intolerant of Intolerance.