Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
09-06-2011, 08:51 PM
RE: What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
(09-06-2011 07:44 PM)ladijules Wrote:  Hello... I'm new here... hope you don't me joining the conversation!

I'm making and preserving my hot salsa as we speak. Yesterday was another several jars of dill pickles! Tomorrow... I need to do something with all those pole beans in my yard!

BTW... does anyone have a good recipe for spicy pickled eggs? My chickens are outdoing themselves and I need to find a way to keep all those eggs! I tried doing them with the same brine and spices as I did my pickles in and they turned out okay, but ... not quite right. Any suggestions?

Hi Ladijules!
Please jump right in!
Please share your salsa recipe if you have time, I'd love to see it. If you need ideas for your beans, there is a Dilly Bean recipe I posted, I give them very high marks.
As for Pickled Eggs, I've never done them so I can't help you there. That's a unique enough topic, maybe a good idea for its own thread? Huh
I'd be curious as to the recipe and the technique....

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 09:23 PM
HI HardwareGL! Nice to meet you!
My Salsa recipe I got offline, just added to it.

20 Lbs. Tomatoes
3 cups onions
3 - 6 oz cans of tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup diced celery
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 cup of Apple vinegar (Or 2 cups Lemon juice)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon Oregano
1 cup diced mild peppers
1 hot pepper
1/4 cup fresh Cilantro

You blanche and skin the tomatoes and dice them, then you just throw everything into together. I tend to alter the recipe a bit. This recipe makes a rather mild salsa, so I add about 2 cups of hot peppers instead of the mild peppers and 1 hot pepper. I also use about 1/2 cup more of onions and about 5 cloves of garlic instead of 2. I use the lemon juice instead of the apple vinegar, it seems to give it a more tart taste. It makes about 8 quarts.

I will definitely look up your recipe for the beans! LOL.. I can only freeze so many!
And I think I will take your suggestion for a pickled eggs thread!

Intolerant of Intolerance.
09-06-2011, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2011 11:23 PM by Scythe Matters.)
Renaissance Man (my Hubby) loves salsa. I'm hoping we get enough tomatoes to put some up. If not, I might go down to the local stand and grab a box. He really goes through it!

Also have no idea about pickled eggs. We eat ours too fast to do anything but enjoy them the usual way. Wink

Oh, and... welcome to the B&G LadiJules!!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
09-07-2011, 09:57 AM
(09-06-2011 07:44 PM)ladijules Wrote:  Hello... I'm new here... hope you don't me joining the conversation!

I'm making and preserving my hot salsa as we speak. Yesterday was another several jars of dill pickles! Tomorrow... I need to do something with all those pole beans in my yard!

BTW... does anyone have a good recipe for spicy pickled eggs? My chickens are outdoing themselves and I need to find a way to keep all those eggs! I tried doing them with the same brine and spices as I did my pickles in and they turned out okay, but ... not quite right. Any suggestions?

Hi Ladijules, and a hearty welcome! My wife and I made a batch of spicy pickled eggs in a joint effort not too long ago and they came out great! We just split the amount of dill pickle (or relish) with some finely chopped jalepeno peppers and substituted the paprika on top with a light dusting of cayenne pepper. I'd watch out for the seeds in the jalepeno, depending on the level of "spicy" you want to achieve! Give it a shot and let us know what you think!

"Laissez les bons temp rouler!"-French/Cajun for "Let the good times roll!"

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
09-07-2011, 04:27 PM
I have a couple Jalapeno pepper plants with BEAUTIFUL red peppers on them! As we are nearing the end of the growing season I need to pick and can them... never really had this problem before to be honest.

Soooo... Has anyone canned jalapenos? I don't want them to turn out to vinegar-y... Thoughts? Recipes?

I dont have any snail/slug jokes, but a co-worker and I did spend a couple days making up some GREAT Pirate jokes during AP testing last year. T'was much fun!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
09-07-2011, 05:11 PM
(09-07-2011 09:57 AM)Gnawin Nawlins Wrote:  

Hi Ladijules, and a hearty welcome! My wife and I made a batch of spicy pickled eggs in a joint effort not too long ago and they came out great! We just split the amount of dill pickle (or relish) with some finely chopped jalepeno peppers and substituted the paprika on top with a light dusting of cayenne pepper. I'd watch out for the seeds in the jalepeno, depending on the level of "spicy" you want to achieve! Give it a shot and let us know what you think!

"Laissez les bons temp rouler!"-French/Cajun for "Let the good times roll!"

Thanks for the pickled egg idea!!! I'm am definitely going to try that with tomorrows batch! How long did you let them sit for before eating them?

09-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I am still working on my Liver (pickling)......

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2011, 09:56 AM
(09-07-2011 04:27 PM)Counselor Wrote:  I have a couple Jalapeno pepper plants with BEAUTIFUL red peppers on them! As we are nearing the end of the growing season I need to pick and can them... never really had this problem before to be honest.

Soooo... Has anyone canned jalapenos? I don't want them to turn out to vinegar-y... Thoughts? Recipes?

I dont have any snail/slug jokes, but a co-worker and I did spend a couple days making up some GREAT Pirate jokes during AP testing last year. T'was much fun!

I too would appreciate any ideas on what to do with all those peppers! Right now, I'm drying the hot peppers and stringing them. They look really pretty on the wall! I'm sure I will find a use for them somewhere. Bell peppers have been a problem for me though. I haven't figured out a way to freeze them without damaging them, and drying them doesn't seem to work too well. Any idea's would be appreciated!

09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
I have canned peppers in the past but usually combine them with other veggies like in an escabeche or jardiniere. One recipe I liked used cherry peppers but jalapenos would work well too. I cut the top off the peppers, scooped out the seeds using a melonballer and stuffed them with a pearl onion (lots of work blanching and peeling all those onions but worth the effort) or the occasional clove of garlic. I canned them using the following process.

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/canned...penos.html

I find that jalapenos are difficult to dry as they are fleshy and dense and thus prone to mold and rot.

You could also find a recipe that preserves them in EVOO...never tried that though. I can't think of another way to do it without using 5% vinegar as they would not keep so I think it would be hard to make then "not too vinegary"... But I think that using mixed veggies with the peppers adds a nice variety to the munching. If you want to save yourself time you could pass on the pearl onions and use whole peppers with holes pricked in the peppers using a tooth pick or BBQ skewer and then add chunks of onion and cloves of garlic in your jars.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
09-08-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't remember if I posted this recipe--I couldn't find it--so here it is again:
Candied Jalapenos
Slice 2 1/2 Cups jalapenos
In a non-reactive pan combine the peppers with 1 Cup sugar and 1/2 Cup water. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the jalapenos are cooked and the liquid thickens. Then you can them. These are really yummy if you put cream cheese on a melba round and top with the candied jalapenos! You can also double or triple the recipe if you want. They're also nice for gifts.

Jalapeno Jam
Seed and stem 3 Lg Bell peppers and 12 jalapenos. Chop to desired consistency in a food processor with 1 1/2Cups cider vinegar. Put the mixture in a non-reactive pan with 7Cups sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add a tsp of butter to reduce foaming. Add 2 pkgs of liquid pectin and bring to a FULL rolling boil stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. This recipe can also be doubles.etc.

I also add grated jalapenos (about 6 or more) when I make blueberry jam.

Remember not to touch your face or eyes when cooking with peppers or use rubber gloves!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...