Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
09-08-2011, 11:02 AM
RE: What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
Thank you!!! Those recipes look wonderful!! Definitely going to try them!

Intolerant of Intolerance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2011, 12:29 PM
I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but my hubby experimented with bread & butter pickling all of the hot peppers he's grown this summer, and it's pretty durn good! Great on sammiches or just snacking outta the jar. Fantastic sweet/hot crunch!

BTW, hola ladijules! Welcome to the fun/nuthouse!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
09-08-2011, 12:35 PM
(09-08-2011 12:29 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but my hubby experimented with bread & butter pickling all of the hot peppers he's grown this summer, and it's pretty durn good! Great on sammiches or just snacking outta the jar. Fantastic sweet/hot crunch!

BTW, hola ladijules! Welcome to the fun/nuthouse!

HI Burnagirl! Thanks for the welcome!

I'd love that recipe!! YOu folks are going to give my kitchen a work out! Love it!!!

09-08-2011, 03:18 PM
(09-07-2011 05:11 PM)ladijules Wrote:  
(09-07-2011 09:57 AM)Gnawin Nawlins Wrote:  
(09-06-2011 07:44 PM)ladijules Wrote:  Hello... I'm new here... hope you don't me joining the conversation!

I'm making and preserving my hot salsa as we speak. Yesterday was another several jars of dill pickles! Tomorrow... I need to do something with all those pole beans in my yard!

BTW... does anyone have a good recipe for spicy pickled eggs? My chickens are outdoing themselves and I need to find a way to keep all those eggs! I tried doing them with the same brine and spices as I did my pickles in and they turned out okay, but ... not quite right. Any suggestions?

Hi Ladijules, and a hearty welcome! My wife and I made a batch of spicy pickled eggs in a joint effort not too long ago and they came out great! We just split the amount of dill pickle (or relish) with some finely chopped jalepeno peppers and substituted the paprika on top with a light dusting of cayenne pepper. I'd watch out for the seeds in the jalepeno, depending on the level of "spicy" you want to achieve! Give it a shot and let us know what you think!

"Laissez les bons temp rouler!"-French/Cajun for "Let the good times roll!"

Thanks for the pickled egg idea!!! I'm am definitely going to try that with tomorrows batch! How long did you let them sit for before eating them?

I always like them after being in the fridge for a couple of hours (also helps keep them together!) but you can't resist at least one or two right after "decorating" with the cayenne! Also forgot, try a little brown or dijon mustard along with the yellow...kick it up a notch! BAM!!!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
09-16-2011, 03:16 AM
Somebody please give me a push.... I keep putting off the jam making....

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
(09-16-2011 03:16 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Somebody please give me a push.... I keep putting off the jam making....

GO, SCYTHE, GO! Angel (angel is flying over to "bump" you into the kitchen)

Think how good the jam is going to taste! What kind are you making???

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Blackberry! But Ren Man has done hid my canning equipment.... I'll make him get it so I can get this done tomorrow.

09-21-2011, 02:21 AM
Anyone have any ideas on how to preserve squash? I've tried freezing it, but it doesn't turn out well. Can you pickle it? Or will it stay if you just leave it in a cool and dry spot?

09-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Well, they say you can't can it.... This is what I've seen regarding freezing (which does appear to be the only way besides dehydrating it):

Freezing - Select squash when 5 to 7 inches long and rind is tender and seeds small. Simply wash and cut in pieces. Blanch 1/4-inch slices 3 minutes and 1 1/2-inch slices for 6 minutes. Chill immediately in ice water, pack in freezer containers, date and freeze.

Did you blanch your before you tried to freeze it? I bet that makes the difference. Let us know how it works out.

09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
(09-21-2011 04:30 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Well, they say you can't can it.... This is what I've seen regarding freezing (which does appear to be the only way besides dehydrating it):

Freezing - Select squash when 5 to 7 inches long and rind is tender and seeds small. Simply wash and cut in pieces. Blanch 1/4-inch slices 3 minutes and 1 1/2-inch slices for 6 minutes. Chill immediately in ice water, pack in freezer containers, date and freeze.

Did you blanch your before you tried to freeze it? I bet that makes the difference. Let us know how it works out.

thank you! I did blanche it, but maybe not long enough. I'll certainly give it a shot! I hate to see it go to waste.